Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got my Zero rates. I have a question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Feb 19, 2003.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

well I got my Zero rates because I needed an extra inch of lift in the back to level my truck out. My question is should I move my rear axle up an 1" or 1"1/2 or leave the axle where it is? My truck is a shortwide so the wheel base is 117. I definetly dont want the wheelbase any longer. What do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't move it at all. If you move it forward you will hurt your departure angle. Basically you will drag your ass more when you are coming off of obsticals. You will also have to take into account the length of your driveshaft. You have to make sure that if you do move it you won't bottom it out or stretch it to far.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I was under the impresion that they were used to move the axel (rear) back for departure angles.

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

that's what I thought, today I made some zero rates myself, 40 bucks is alot of money for a square block of steel, I bought 2 peices of aluminum, drilled and tapped the center screwed some 3/8"x3/4" allen head bolts for the pin that goes in the axle then 1" back I drilled a 3/8 hole and a 9/16 hole a little into that for the bolt that goes through the spring pack all for under 10 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    that's what I thought, today I made some zero rates myself, 40 bucks is alot of money for a square block of steel, I bought 2 peices of aluminum, drilled and tapped the center screwed some 3/8"x3/4" allen head bolts for the pin that goes in the axle then 1" back I drilled a 3/8 hole and a 9/16 hole a little into that for the bolt that goes through the spring pack all for under 10 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would ya sell em for $10 though? Nobody works for free... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

6. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I got more time than money /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but if I had 40 bucks to spear I would of bought them, the ones I made took about three hours to do with limited tools, but also I didn't want to wait for them in the mail /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought 2 peices of aluminum...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you concerned at all with the aluminum splitting or cracking under the constant stress, twisting, and torquing? My original setup had aluminum shims. They split after not too long.

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You should probably leave it right where it is as far as front to back goes. I used 56" leaves turned backwards to move my rear back 4". I love the longer wheelbase and improved departure angle. My factory shortbox truck has almost a 125" wheelbase. (I move the front forward too)

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I bought 2 peices of aluminum...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you concerned at all with the aluminum splitting or cracking under the constant stress, twisting, and torquing? My original setup had aluminum shims. They split after not too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every aluminum shim I've seen is aluminum cast. Cast aluminum is pretty weak...Chances are pretty good that 6061 Billet is what he used and it ain't likely to crack.

Rene