Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got new tires, what psi are you all running these at?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Jan 2, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Just got some new (to me) 35x12.5x15r bfg muds. They have about 50% tread or so except for one that has around 30. I want these to last (obviously), what psi should I run on the street? In the dirt?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I kept mine at the recommended pressure on the street and around 18-20 PSI off road.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Put 30 psi in them and then throw some powdered chalk on one from tire and one rear and let the truck roll forward. Make sure the tire tread is making full contact with the ground based off of the print it leaves on the ground. Adjust pressure accordingly.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

street pressure should be somewhere between 28-35 psi. depends on the vehicle they are going on. use the method mentioned before. for the trail I have run 35's all the way down to 3 psi. 10 psi is a happy medium for general offroad use.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The max pressure listed on the sidewall is for when the tire is carrying its full rated wight. On a K5, I found that the tread made full contact with the road at 28 PSI up front and 26 PSI out back. YMMV. The chalk trick works great, but I drive down the street and then look for any chalk left on the tread to determine the proper pressure.

6. lochenjons

Well 20 psi off road didnt work out so good, the tire came off the rim. I figure that was because it was put on like an hour before. Fortunately I was able to get it back on even though the tire and rim were covered in mud. I got pics of it too at the bottom of http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512119/5

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have never had a problem down as far as 16-17 PSI. I run H2 wheels and the tires have been on them for quite a while though.

8. HarryH3

The beads were probably still wet from the tire lube they use to install the tires onto the wheels. Give 'em a few days to dry out and you should not have any problems at 20 PSI off road.

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I usually keep mine @ 15 psi so when I hit curbs or pot holes on the way to the mall I get maximum gription.

Mine isn't a DD so it stays @ 15 untill I drive long distance.

10. lochenjons

Yeah that's what I figured but I couldnt wait that day

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I run my tires at 14 psi offroad. Works great for me.
    -Harrison

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for BFG on road run them at 35psi. Thats what it says on the side of tire. I wouldn't go much under 30 if you want to try to maintain the little mileage you've got. Also you can get the tires to last longer too running them at the recomended psi.

13. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

20 psi seems high for some 35's on 15" rims. I bet the fresh bead is the cause for that problem. Now that you got it home, id de bead it and clean the rim real good on the inside lip and wait a couple of days before wheelin again. BTW, Buzzard and weatherstation are fun. Now that i have loud exhaust, i dont go up there anymore.

14. lochenjons

I took it over to where i got them mounted and had them clean it, I figured they do it for free (they did) so I didn't bother doing it myself. Once they took it off they looked at the tire and started laughing. Haha the weatherstation is great, do you know what it is or its real name or anything? My friend and I found it by accident from the top on our bikes and I was like this is perfect for wheelin'. I aksed around and no one knew much but everyone of them warned me aobut the guy with the shotgun on the lower roads off of it. I even met a guy that lives across from it riding his dirtbike around and he was saying he's been shot at before going down there. Normally I'd take advice like that with a grain of salt or sand or whatever it is but after seeing the old 67-72 blazer down there with tons of bullet holes, I'm a little careful going down there. I've ran my 33" all terrains at 12 psi lowest and didnt have a problem so I'm not worried about running my 35"s at 15 psi or so.

15. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

My 35" BFG M/Ts are rated at 50psi. on my dodge with the cummins I run 47 in the front and 35 in the rear unloaded. anything less in the front and it gets skittish when turning and hard braking with the engine weight.

16. lochenjons

That's strange I thought they were all the same. Mine are rated at 35 psi with max load weight I think so I;ve been running a little less than that

17. HarryH3

They have them in higher load ranges for 16 inch and larger wheels. Here's a chart: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/mud-terrain-t-a-km/1152.html

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  18. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

mine are 35x12.5R17 M/Ts 50 PSI max load

19. lochenjons

Are larger rims sizes generally higher psi? Or what even are the advantages (or disadvantages) of larger rim sizes?

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i'm running the 35" equiv. 315/70/17 H2's on the Burb, last time I went wheelin with the group, I dropped them to 25psi, haven't aired them back up since, rides pretty nice, alittle soggy around some corners, but overall i am liking it.

the tires don't even look low either, they are recommended at about 45-50psi as well.