Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got Packet?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, May 30, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Just wanted to exclaim my triumph in setting up a VHF packet digipeater :D

Running it at 144.425 MHZ. Got my desktop running linux, controlling my MFJ-1278B TNC, which is running my Icom-2100H 55 watt VHF rig at 2400 baud. Still using my 2-meter J-pole antenna made from copper pipe, I love that thing. So portable, and easy to set up indoors.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

lucy, you got some splainin to do

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Translation:

I have a 30-mile radius wifi network now.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

oh daym thats sweet:)

5. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

So does the antenna around your window work well?

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Not as good as I hoped it will. I need to get some RG-8 coax, some better wire to make the antenna out of, and a tunable inductor. I did find my tape measure though. It was on my desk :doah:

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Nerd alert, nerd alert! whooooooooooop! whooooooooooooooop!

Seriously, though, I forgot all about packet and ham, with the advent of WiFi and whathaveyou.

What kind of throughput do you get, and is there any actual use for it?

(This from a guy who's putting computer-controlled light switches throughout his ~1000sf house, so he doesn't have to walk 20' to turn off the lights :haha: )

-- A

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cool man :pimp:

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Throughput is exactly what I said 1200 baud. (Thats 1200 bits/sec). Usefulness is debateable with the advent of broadband internet. But basically, it allows other packet radio operators to connect to each other and transfer data, converse, and also establishes a BBS system to maintain amateur community messages and whatnot.

It's a bit obselete now, like I said, with the massive availability of broadband internet. But technically, if I set this up right, I could take a laptop out, hook it up to my handheld radio and have (really slow) internet access within about a 30-mile radius.

But right now, the big "neat feature" of packet radio is the APRS system. Amateur Position and Reporting System. You connect your radio to a TNC and a GPS unit. Your radio the broadcasts and recieves GPS positions of other hams in your area. Connect that to a laptop with mapping software and you can pinpoint everyone in your area. Likewise, base station APRS systems are connected to the internet, and with a computer-based APRS program with internet access, you can pinpoint hams all across the world. The really neat thing is the system also incorporates a messaging system. So I can open up my APRS program (xastir) without having any radios connected to the computer, and send a message to a ham in the area, and it will travel over the internet, to the nearest base station APRS and broadcast that message over APRS to the ham.

Neat, huh?