Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got pix of the 56's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jun 22, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

how does my shackle angle look? i think i need to lengthen the hangers like an inch or two. what do u guys think. i just move the shackle back until one of the holes on the bottom of the frame lined up and went from there.
    still working on making them smaller

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm guessing that's about 2" back from the stock position?

3. down4thakrown

somthing like that, havent measured it. does anybody who used lowering shaclkes to lengthen there hangers have any pix. might go that route but not sure.

4. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

You could also flip the brackets to the different side to gain a little clearence, if you have not already done that. I have lowering shackles they allow a lot of drop and dont give that much lift because they are at such a angle. You only get 1/2" of lift for each inch longer the shackle is when at 90*, mine are 45*+ so much less lift for each inch of longer shackle. Mine are 2" longer and get about 1/2" lift.

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

This works... I just put stock 56's under the back end of my truck w/ the DIY4x kit and I had to "reverse" (put the left side one on the right side and vise-versa.) sides with them to get better shackle angle.

6. down4thakrown

yea i might try that it looks like i could get a bit more lift outta them. i'll probably do the lowering shackles too and then it sould sit about level. :thumb: with 33's in the back and 31s in the front(without the motor in it) it's about a half inch off of sitting level.

7. down4thakrown

what kind of shackles you got?i was goin to get these part#(2001) http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/rear_kits.html#C30sh
    all the ones i looked at all say there for a c10 and i dont know if they'll be strong enough for my truck. how much more of a lift did you get outta by flippin the brackets?
    thx for the info

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thx for the link on the shackles.. those are $4 cheaper than Summit and look like the exact same type...

j

9. down4thakrown

10. jekbrown

they all 3 look identical to me... $33 aint bad... the c10 ones are the right dimensions for us right? lol! Pretty funny a bunch of 4x4 whores looking at lowrider parts... :grin: :laugh:

j

11. down4thakrown

i was thinkin the same thing when i was doin the search. you think they'll hold up to the abuse of a 1 ton monster?

12. jekbrown

I think so. On the one hand the steel doesn't look as thick as your common aftermarket 2-plates style shackles... on the other, these look like they are formed from one piece of steel (which is welded to a tube holding the bushing) which should make it stronger. Lowrider guys really don't need super shackles... but then again whomever makes them doesn't want to get sued silly either, so they are probably over engineered. Only question is, is the end result strong enough for offroad abuse? At least one ck5 member is running them with 56s... I haven't heard of them failing yet.

[​IMG]

I guess if someone thought they weren't beefy enough, they could add some braces to them. Wouldnt be hard to box the inside and/or weld some plates to the outside.

j

13. down4thakrown

the ones one at sport truck direct shackles for the c10 have the same part no. as the ones for a c30 or
    it doesnt look hard to lengthen the orignal ones ethier. just take some 1/4 inch steel or a little smaller, cut it at about 2.5 inchs or so drill 2 holes in each one, bolt them to the hangers then to the spring. weld the 1/4 steel to the shackle when i get it where i want it, maybe leave the bolt in if it doesnt interfere with the spring then run a brace across the shackle and your done. might try this before purchasing. i wasnt plannin on buyin a new tranny, figured if i was goin to take it down, i better just do it once.