Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got pulled over... again!

Discussion in 'New England Region' started by Chevy305, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ever have a really good day, followed by one of those times that your truck for some reason runs amazingly well?

Well, that was my day today until I drove home from school...

My speedo still doesn't work so I go by rpms and guestimate aprox speed. Listening to Led Zeppelin 4, not really paying attention to speed, I see a cop coming in the other direction and it looks to me like we are just going to pass eachother and will never think twice about it. But the cop signals for me to pull over, and so I do and he turns around and pulls behind me.

Well long story short, I was one of the first cars coming out of my school to go home so everyone I know passed me while I was pulled over. But on the bright side the cop gave me a verbal warning for doing 49 in a 35. He said that since it is so close to the holidays he will let me off with a warning because the ticket would have been $140. :eek1:

The cop must have had some sort of radar thingy on the dash to show how fast I was going because I didn't see a radar gun. Maybe I need a radar detecor for xmas? :crazy: :doah:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  2. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

usually you can see a white circle on the dash somewhere.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

time to get that speedo fixed. the cable is cheap enough. I just put one in my truck. They are super simple to install. if you have other problems then good luck.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Lucky!...

Your fortunate--usually if a cop decides to bother to pull a vehicle over--he's NOT going to just give a warning!!..they're on a mission!..

I've had a few cops pull up beside me, and give me a lecture,then drive off--but when they actually pull you over,most times they have already called in your plate number to see if its all legit and on the right vehicle,and the next step is to get your SSI # and see if any warrants are outstanding..they usually dont just let you go without finding SOMETHING to blame for the reason they stopped you,like a tail light out,etc..few let you off without a ticket, or at least a "get it fixed" warning...

At least you dont have one cop harassing you constantly..I had a friend who put window tint on his back window--a cop stopped him on his way home from work one day,and demanded he remove it--gave him a ticket for "obstructed vision"..he also said "what are you hiding in here??--smoking weed or something??"..he pulled him over EVERY DAY for more than a week at the same place and time..:eek1: --he wasn't "hiding" anything,he just thought the car looked cool with dark windows!..

My friend was going to just scrape the tint off,but this aggravated him so bad,he had his father call a friend who was a judge in their town,and told him he was being "harrassed" by this officer...two days later the cop stopped him,and said if the tint wasn't removed he'd have the car towed--and said "thanks for getting me in trouble"..evidently the judge told him to lay off!!..my friend did scrape the tint off,and had a lot of trouble after that..got pulled over at least once a week for months,by that cop and all his friends on the force,until he got a different car!...:doah:

I hear guys with lifted trucks get the same treatment in certain places..last thing you want or need is one cop with a grudge against you,or the way your vehicle looks or sounds--they can make your life miserable,and get away with it pretty easy..I'd be careful from now on if I were you..they will be watching you for awhile,since you got away without a ticket!--if they see you going over the limit again,you can bet you wont be getting a warning..--fix the speedometer,and I hope you didn't tell them it was broke!--you could have been written up for "defective equipment"..:crazy:

5. Chevy305

Well I have 2 problems, the cable melted on the exhaust, and the 4.10 gearing throws off the speedo by about 25%. I already have a new clable sitting in the garage, as soon as I recalabrate the thing I will put in a new cable.

Don't worry the cop asked me if I had recalibrated the speedo after I got the bigger tires. I told him I didn't and he said to get that fixed right away. I really was lucky to get off with a verbal warning. I think the cop might have seen the previous writen warning I have that I was doing also doing 49mph so he must have thought well he must be thinking he is going the speed limit.

I think my shiny new paint is like a beacon for the cops now. I guess its a trade off :doah:

6. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

No biggie, do the math in your head while driving.

At least the speedometer will be working and you'd have some 'idea' of your speed.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

at least he didnt give you some bs ticket... had a cop pull me over once because he had a hair up his ass, and gave me a FALSE ticket for a tag light being out... so i waited 1 day past the 30 day fix it limit, drove my other truck downtown and told the desk cop on duty that the other truck was out of town, and the lying piece of **** officer wrote me a false ticket, because when i got home, the tag light wasnt out and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle "well i need a copy of a service writeup from a shop" when i told her, that i just happened to have one from the shop i worked at, the said that she couldnt accept it, i said, well then you'll have to start fining me late charges for your NINE DOLLAR false ticket... she signed off on it and waived the fee... some cops suck, some are awesome, like the one you got..

8. diesel4me

not all are dicks..

I hate to make it sound like I hate the police,I dont--but I do hate the officers who let their badge go to their heads,and make life suck if you happen to be targeted..there seems to be a lot of that variety here..

I find I can usually avoid a ticket when I get pulled over, if I stay in the truck,keep my hands in plain veiw,and speak in a normal tone of voice--nothing will get you a ticket (or even arrested) faster than mouthing off to a cop--especially if he doesn't seem very cheerfull!..
    I think some of them act belligerant, just hoping you'll respond with insults or cuss words,so they can bust you!..but if you keep your cool,they usually change their attitude..most of them are just doing their job...

Chevy 305--at least you didn't paint it "arrest me red"!..you'd really be getting attention if you had!..but your probably right,a nice shiny truck often makes you more likely to get attention,and they probably assume since you have a nice looking truck,you have plenty of money for speeding tickets too..:doah:

I have only been pulled over about 4-5 times since I got my licence over 30 years ago..not that I am an angel--I just never got caught doing all the burnouts and doughnuts in my 69 GTO and 66 Buick Wildcat!..I've yet to get a ticket other than a written warning,and I hope it stays that way!..

I've used the "my new tires are bigger and must have threw off my speedometer" line a few times,and they let me off,told me to have it fixed,rather than write me up..sometimes they understand..having a few friends on the force isn't a bad thing either..both the police chief ,and his son the leiutennant ,live 3 houses away,so I have to watch my speed when I'm coming home!..:rolleyes:

9. Chevy305

I know what you are talking about...

I was curtious to the cop and I kept my cool, also I could tell he was probably a nice guy too. I lucked out!

"arrest me red" - Ya thats just the reason I didn't paint the truck red. ;)

I also pass 4 cop's houses everyday going to school. A total of 5 cops live within a 2 minute radius of me. 1 is a D.A.R.E. officer, 2 are Staties, 1 is a local cop, and 1 is a Boston cop.

One of the Staties was actually killed in a car accident not too long ago. You might have heard about it on the news. I guess the guy was coming home from the night shift at 4:00am and he fell asleep at the wheel on 495 and plowed into a dump truck in the break down lane. Kinda sad too, because the guy had 5 young kids. Reporters flocked to my neighborhood to try to get an interview with the family, so there was a 24hr vigil put on by the state police that blocked off my street so no reporters could get to the family.

10. diesel4me

I remember that...

Yes,we talked about that statie being killed right after it happenned..I drive on Rt 495 a lot,and can see how easy someone could drive into something at night..its a dark road,and visibilty is often poor due to fog or other weather..

I have at least one state trooper that lives on my street also,in addition to the chief of police and his son the leutennant who live 3 houses away--plus I think a few more officers too,who are either retired ,or detectives, live nearby too--so if I feel like laying rubber,I dont do it around MY neighborhood!..:rolleyes: ..I watch my P's and Q's !..--no loud parties or drugs either,the leutennant is a K-9 officer,and his dog is 300' away most of the time..:eek1:

:crazy:

11. Chevy305

I didn't really pin you as a huge partier than gets high off hypodermic needles... :eek1:

12. diesel4me

not me!..

Nope--never did like needles--even my doctor cant give me a shot!..I never got into "hard" drugs--no crack,coke,heroin or acid for me thank you--booze is bad enough!..

...but during my "high" school years,there was a funny smell of burning rope around here quite often..:rolleyes: :whistle: ..thats when I learned a K9 dog can smell stuff a LOT farther away than humans can!..:eek1: ..

One of my former classmates lives 2 houses away--he still puffs the magic dragon--and I'm suprised the cops who live practically next door haven't crashed any of his parties yet..or shot his dog,that barks 24/7 for no apparent reason other than to piss the neighbors off...life in the suburbs sucks as bad as the "big city" nowadays..too many noisy(and NOSEY) people!..--used to be nice and quiet here,and as rural as maine--not anymore..:crazy:

13. Chevy305

Ya I stay away from the hard drugs too, but I can't refuse a drink or two, or 12 :p: :saweet:

There have been a few parties in my neighborhood over the years and only 1 has been busted. Cop arrested 11 and the rest escaped into the woods. i just have to thank god I didn't go to that one!

14. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

haha so me driving around w/ my truck painted green/black instead of my reg. saying blue/white is prob bad.... hmm ill go to dmv tmrow to fix that i guess..

15. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

you have bad luck with being pulled over. better find some cops that like cars / trucks and make friends with them. my cousin's a cop and they all talk about who's doing what around town. thats why my bro's a step 34.