Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got pulled over for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MXmastermike, Mar 8, 2002.

1. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

ok heres the deal. This whole thing makes me really mad, but anyway... I was coming home from a 9 ball tournament last friday, and i did alright so I couldnt leave until about 4 AM. As i was leaving, a cop pulled out behind me and followed me, at least 10 blocks. I was being conscious of my speed and how straight i was driving and everything, and then before the corporation limit, just as i thought i was safe, i noticed that he didnt turn off of the main road, and he was heading out of town, unless he was going to pull me over. And sure enough, he flashed his lights as i was leaving town, so I pulled over.

He asked for all the routine stuff, liscence, proof of insurance, registration, and then asked if i had where I had been, as if it were any of his business. And he asked if I had been drinking so I said 'no'. Then he asked if i had any weapons or drugs that he should know about, and i said no, and he asked if he could search the truck! And he didnt even have a reason to pull me over in the first place! So i sat outside in the freezing cold for about 10 minutes while padded me down and then searched every inch of my truck. And never once offered me a reason for pulling me over!

When he was done searching he said "ok you're good to go" and i got out of that uncomfortable situation as fast as i could, forgetting to ask why i was even pulled over.

Now I'm pretty sure this is illegal, but I dont really have a case, and I dont think its worth the trouble to make a big deal out of it anyway. It just makes me mad.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If you remember the officer's name you can talk to the police department about it.
    I'd call the department and ask what the procedure is when they pull someone over.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and he asked if he could search the truck! And he didnt even have a reason to pull me over in the first place! So i sat outside in the freezing cold for about 10 minutes while padded me down and then searched every inch of my truck. And never once offered me a reason for pulling me over!

<hr></blockquote>

Should of said no. If he didn't have probable cause or was hooking you, you could of told him to go get bent.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Not to start anything... but couldn't he just call up the station and get someone to bring him a warrent to search it if he said no? I mean he could say well I stopped him for a unsafe lane change and they honestly wouldn't question that........

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Should have gotten his badge number,then you could have made a complaint.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nope. Okay, here's the deal. You get pulled over for running a red light. There's probable cause to be stopped, but just because I have PC to stop, doesn't mean I have PC to believe you have drugs, guns, illegal weapons or stuff like that. That's separate. I have to develop that PC while talking to you, and if you ever watch a cop's eyes while at the door, watch how they move. Also, the PC the cop develops can't be a bunch of BS either. As for the warrant thing, how long do you think it's going to take them to type up the affadavit, get the warrant approved and back to the scene? The fastest warrant I've ever heard of was forged (wedding day prank). Remember, liability is big these days and everyone is sue happy. Here are three examples that I've watched through riding shotgun with cops. The first one happened about 15 years ago when search and seizure laws were more on the cops' side. Cop pulls over a (CK5 related content coming up) K5 and we were in a '76 K5 with a 400cid for speeding. Decides to search, finds marijuana residue in the ashtray and a pipe, automatic 2 years as a state of OK for the pipe. The driver got away with a ticket. Afterwards, I ask the cop why he let the guy go. Illegal search. He didn't have consent and no PC. Second example. Local kid burns rubber right in front of us, we track him down. Kid is drunk, has empty beer cans and a JD bottle in the car, gets hooked. Now there was PC to search cause of the cans and bottles. Last example and GreenBlazerAZ, if you're reading, you might find this interesting. I rode with a drug task force cop a few months ago. He was doing drug interdiction, just riding around, yanking people for traffic violations and trying to score a load of drugs. Now this guy, he lives search and seizure and me being the fine, upstanding academy cadet, we had a long discussion. One stop he made that day was a motorhome. What caught his attention was not a violation, but who was driving. So we take off and follow for a few miles, they exceed speed limit and got pulled over. Now at this time, the cop (knowing the profiles and tactics of drug runners is keyed up already) before he gets out tells me he's going to try to get in. He goes up, comes back with license and reg and sure enough, this thing has all the makings for a drug runner. Another cop that has experience in this sort of stuff comes out. We sit there for a few cause these two cops, due to the profile, the vehicle and some other "key" factors know there is dope on board. The cop goes back up, asks if he can search, gets told no, end of story. The motorhome goes on it's merry way.

Now I'm not advocating being jerks to the cops, but I can guarantee if I ever get asked if they can search, the answer is no. People are ignorant of the law, that's why you see so many get tied up on drug charges cause they gave consent and didn't know any better.

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well it's good to know that you work that way and you don't do that and I know I can answer no.... I guess I am biased here on my opinion of cops based on the Elk Grove, CA police. It's a growing town with a Barney Fife appraoch to stuff... it's sad how they work. People who live there complain about them big time (I live right by it and am there all the time and can speak from experience too!!)... it's a horrible and rigged system... they break every rule I swear and the judges and everyone there all work hard to allow it to happen.... and the warrents... they can have them out to officer in less then 30 minutes. They have it down to a science!! It's scary! I see though more and more people complaining and fighting back so I hope it'll change... but until then you are screwed if you get stopped there!!

8. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Hey Bubba.........Supreme Court ruled that you do NOT have to have PC to ask for a CONSENT search. To sum it up....here are the 7 reasons you can LAWFULLY search ...
    1 Consent
    2 Incident to lawfull arrest
    3 Stop/Frisk (Terry vs. Ohio) (reasonable suspicion)
    4 Search warrant
    5 Probable cause
    6 Inventory (ie. towing a car after DUI arrest)
    7 Plain View
    If the guy would have said "NO". Unless the cop had any of the 7 above, he could not have searched.

Bubba, you should know this.....tsk tsk tsk.

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Also if a dog hits on the vehicle..That is PC...Dan

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I just attempted to reread my post, geez if that's your take on what I said, I better delete that monstrosity. That's for the clarification of my mess. Knew what I was talking about, but I guess I discombulated my post bad enough that I had it mixed up. I'm going to bed now for my Friday nite 5 hours of sleep.