Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got pulled over in Alabama and...(it's a long story but at LEAST! read the very end)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigcountryk5, Mar 13, 2005.

1. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

I know that that sounds like the title to a country song but...on with the story.

My girlfriend her best friend and I spent from last saturday untill last thursday in Louisiana, Zachary to be specific which is just outside of Baton Rouge. Anyway we had to return home thur. because i had an exam on friday so traffic was light and we were about 5 hours into the 11.5 hour trip heading North on 65 through Alabama from mobile to montgomery. Don't recall exactly where on 65 we were but i'm crusin at 75mph when i see in the rearview that i've got a crusier bearing down on me and closing the distance at a fast clip. I signal and get out of the officers way and he continues past me until the front bumper of my G/F's Exploder and the rear bumper of his Crown Vic are just about even.

I notice a different paint job than i had ever seen on his cruiser and just as i went to glance at it i saw him look back at my vehicle and he went NOSE DOWN hard on the brakes then the gas and in a split second he was on my rear bumper lights and sirens going full tilt. I was absolutly shocked and my heart jumped a bit, but imediately signaled and made my way off the highway onto the emergency lane then into the grass as there was ample room. I then shifted to park turned off the vehicle slowly placed the keyes on the roof and put on the hazzards. Kept my hands on the wheel and instructed my passengers to remain calm still and keeep their hands very visable.

I watched him position his vehicle approx 30 ft. to my rear and position the camera open the door and key the radio, and then slowly approach the vehicle from dead center in the rearview he moved to the passenger side and i waited till he could see what i was doing and told the passenger to roll down the window( luckily untill a door is opened in late model exploders you can still control the windows.). He asked for my license and the insurance and registration. And as my G/F searched through inumerable crap in her glovebox (which i have told her to clean and organize at least a thousand times) he ask me to exit the vehicle and follow him to the rear so he can show me why i got pulled.:confused:

So now i'm worried because he seemed to want to get me out of the car really fast he tells me the plastic piece around the license plate is illegal and i begin to explain that i was unaware when he cuts me off ask if i am armed in any way and i tell him my knife and let him remove it from my pocket. he tells me to remain where i am and he'll be right back. He's not wearing a typical uniform more somthing you'd see SWAT guys in and his car says ICU on it (interstate crime unit) he's asking my girlfriend some questions but i'm a good twenty ft away and can't hear them and he returns to tell me she can't find proof of insurance.

i'm thinking oh sh!t now and he starts asking me questions in a very specific and detailed manner-where we'd been where we were going what relation was i to the passenger- what is her full name including middle name- how long have we been dating etc. He goes back and compares the registration info to the info on the inside of the drivers door comes back to me hands me my knife license and the registration and says be careful have a safe trip and get that proof of insurance as it is a 500$ fine in Alabama, and i asked if i needed to remove the plastic piece from the plate right there and he says he wouldn't worry about it and says drive safe and he'll wait for me to pull out first.

Now i'm thinking what the hell just happened:dunno: :what:. On down the road after the initial shock wore off the G/F and i compared questions we were asked and he was asking the same to both of us. I realized i must've been suspected of kidnapping them as the were both still in their PJ's (we left at 5am) and all.

Now i told that story and to say this. alot of poeple take all LEO's for granted and alot would be pretty pissed about getting pulled and questioned like i did, BUT I AM THANKFULL that this Cpl. took the time out of his day to do his job politely and make sure that a situation that didn't seem right to him was in fact ok. Wanting to be in the law enforcement field in some form or fashion one day it made me feel good that he was looking out for the safety of the two girls with me.

SO TO ALL CURENT OR FORMER LEO'S THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO FOR ALL OF US WHATEVER YOU SPECIFIC JOB MAY BE!!!!!!!:D :bow: :waytogo:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

It's good to hear about cops not being pricks, It doesn't happen here much(cops being polite)

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Cool story, I'd be kind of tourqued without an explanation

I'm betting something right now, but I wont's say what I'm betting on until it happens

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear everything turned out OK. Always nice to have a good run-in with a LEO. Whenever I get pulled over first thing I do is roll down my electric rear window so they have a clear view of everything.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I think if I did that theyed think I was gonna gun em down from the rear window!

6. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

I've had a couple be kinda dickish but i know everyone has their bad days and that theirs is a stressful job to begin with. but i'm always sure to be extra careful and polite the few times i have been pulled over.

well i started to get that way after the initial shock started to wear off, but alot of my friends are Troopers and they are always talking about all the sh!t the have to do and all the hoops they have to jump through to protect their own a$$. So i kinda understand why he didn't tell me the real reason i got pulled.

7. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Thats a stand up thing to say, alot of people would be pissed for even getting pulled over, not to mention having to get out of their vehicle and be questioned.

With that outlook, you should have a future in law enforcement some day. Good luck to ya :D

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I turn on the interior lights. That way they can see in.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

About a month ago I went to Texas to pick up my ebay find, Llifted k3500, 9 inches of lift, 35" tires. Before I went to pick it up, I insured the truck properly.

Well anyway on the way back through Oklahoma I see this drug enforcement check sign, saying they are checking any vehicle that is involved in any moving violation. So I drive on a couple of miles and need to make a pit stop. I seen a road services sign and decide to exit. Pulled down the off ramp and no services. The only thing I seen was two patroll cars in a church parking lot. Not looking too suspicious I got back on the onramp and continue down the highway. Lo and behold a Oklahoma rest stop next mile up. Pulled into the rest stop, no facilities in Oklahoma, just dead grass:frown1: , and by the way another patroll car that has pulled someone over. Well I didn't want to water the grass with a vehicle inspection going on I decided to hold back and drive on. Three more miles down the road, bladder on the brink of bursting and seeing relief in sight by the Texaco sign off the highway, I head towards the gas station. Up from behind me are those two Oklahoma troopers pulling me over. WTH? I pull over, handed over my insurance, license, bill of sale, title, blah blah blah. They tell me to get out and go back to their car so they can ask me some questions. By now I can hardly walk. Well it seems that the Trooper that had been searching the car at the rest stop fabricates a way to pull me over by saying I sped through the rest stop and got too close to his vehicle. Lies. Now I respect the law and the officers that keep the law, and I understand why he fabricated up a way to pull me over, but damit, I GOTTA PEE. I explaned myself and they finaly let me go. I'm glad I got the insurance before I picked up the truck.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:D :D :D

I stopped a guy Friday night, actually did it for one of the unmarked vehicles that we have running around. Those two guys go looking for what they look for and I'm babysitting the guy because he is having somewhat of an attitude problem.

We let him go and as he is walking back to his car, he says "Thanks for the harassment guys." Guess I'll have to get the audio and post it, it was pretty funny. :haha:

Seriously though, I treat people the way I expect to get treated. I still have improvements I can make in my contacts, but out of all the stops I make, I can count on one hand the amount of people that acted like an ass, and believe it or not, not all of them have been people I've cited. I consider it a good contact if the person starts asking me questions about their trip or need some knowledge about the area and after I give them their copy, they ask me.