Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got rear ended today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zcarczar, Feb 13, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I got rear ended today in the rain. The carnage so far is a bent to hell frame, toasted hitch and gas tank. Im a little pissed off about the whole ordeal because the person that hit me didnt even attempt to slow down. Looks like I wont have my truck for my first big club run at the end of the month. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif O yeah the person that hit me broke their wrist really bad, serves em right for using me as a giant bump stop, and not paying attention while driving in the dam rain. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

This sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just what the heck hit ya anyway?

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

A dodge neon, needless to say it totaled it.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Did ya get pics? That jerkwad must of been going at a pretty good clip to bend the frame.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

How bad is the frame bent? Is it repairable?
    Sorry to hear man, that sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Its repairable, I will most likely get a donor frame and use the rear most portion of it to replace mine cause they seriously fawked mine up. I also found out something neat, its that an insurance company cannot total out your car.

Here are the pictures I got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ouch /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

a neon bent your frame??
    d@mn! she sure is lucky she only had a broken wrist, i'd figure she'd be pretty bad off right now

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

She was doing at least 35, and I was sitting still.

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

DUDE!! That is one heck of a battle wound from a neon....I bet ya felt that one? Soak in warm water tonight because I bet you will feel some stiffness tomorrow if it was enough of an impact to bend the frame...I think you need some 4x4 Iron back there.... Glad you're alright!

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

That can and could be repaired. There is no kink in the frame, its just tweaked. Drop the tank, bolt the hitch back on, heat the frame and pull it out using the hitch.

Obviously this would need to be done at a shop w/ the right equiptment.

Splicing the frame is NOT the way to go. DO NOT let them do that. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

BTW I quit doing it a yr ago, but I was a body man for almost 15 yrs. From the pics it appears to be easily repairable. I have fixed FAR worse, stuff that SHOULDNT have been fixed. Yours is hurt but not dead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OH FYI to everyone...Reese hitches damage a frame worse than most impacts would have w/out it. The hitch is below the frame, and acts as a lever to do what you see above. As it crams in it twists down and puckers the frame.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice 'love tap' she gave ya!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree with Steve, the frame is just a little tweaked on the underside due to the hitch.

I got rear ended by a drunk almost 2 years ago now. She was driving a 77 Ford pick-up and hit me at 55 mph/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Pushed clear through the intersection I was stopped at. The seat mount tore part of the floor and the seat was bent. The tire carrier and 35" spare went almost through the tailgate...

My frame is a little tweaked, I found a small kink about halfway up the frame. The door gaps are wierd now and the back of the cab where the hardtop meets it doesn't line up anymore.

At least she was drunk, on painkillers, suicidal at the scene, and had no insurance... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

My insurance covered me for my injuries and lost wages, but I was stuck fixing the damage to my truck out of pocket. I've spent about 20 hours tweaking, heating and beating and now it's reasonably straight. The roof is coming off anyways so that is no big deal...

I'll second the hot bath too. I had a 6 hour drive to make after getting hit and I was damn sore by the time I got home!!/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

rene

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Woohoo I dont have to put new frame horns on then. I work at a body shop and They have a frame puller so im sure it will get pulled out. I might add a little reinforcement though cause the tank will be down. I just hope the insurance company doesnt **** me over. Im in good with the body shop manager so I may end up with a really nice bumper in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I went to the doctor and they gave me pain killers and muscle relaxants. Hopefully that will help a lot.

I couldnt believe the impact when she hit me, I dont think she tried to slow down at all. It seriously fawked the neon, it pushed the engine back at least a couple inches. Im thankful that no one was seriously injured, but the wrist thing I guess is a lesson for her to pay attention when driving in the rain. She also had 3 passengers but none of them were hurt. I wish I had my camera with me to take a picture of the neon.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard wrist injuries are common due to the airbag deploying (hand on the steering wheel..)

The Ford truck that got me was also pretty destroyed. The cab I couldn't identify, but the remains of the doors and the box told me it was a ford. Prolly a good thing she was drunk...a sober person would probably have been badly hurt.

Take care Jason...and make sure you get a good lawyer. The people that work at the insurance company are pro's, so it's best to let a pro deal with them. Without a lawyer I would have got nothing...

Rene

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A dodge neon, needless to say it totaled it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't me! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Glad you are ok, hope your truck gets fixed fast! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Geeesh Jason! Now that makes me want to think about adding some lower beef to my new bumper. I was thinking that a clip on extension for the street might keep a ricer from going up under me in a rear end collision. Good thing you have a tank skid eh?

17. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

doode we're all wonderin somethin. would you hit it? how about you rearend her. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

jacob

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I didnt really get a good look at her cause she jumped out of the car and laid on the ground screeming bloody murder while her friends were all over her. Then the ambulance came and she was in there the rest of the time. But I would have probably would have hit it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif which reminds me I need to call the insurance company and tell em to get the damn adjuster out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Damn dude. Sorry to hear that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What do you mean when you found out that an insurance company can't total a car?

My dad got in a wreck and they said the cost to fix it would be like $4000, and so they said his '77 chev 4X4 is only worth $2500 and thats all he got a check for. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Of course we didn't get a lawyer and battle the insurance company or anything. You can bet if if happened to my blazer i'd be raising hell. I'd be like: You guys aren't totaling my blazer unless you give me $12,000 and i still want to buy it back.

20. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well they can't take your car away from you, but they can limit how much money they give you to fix it. It also depends on who caused the accident and what happenned. In my case I wasnt at fault so my dad said that insurance will bend over and take it up the rear to make me happy because if I was to sue I could get $20 - $30 thousand really easy. I'll have to see when the insurance company adjuster gets there on monday or tuesday. Good thing I have a lot of reciepts for it.