Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got Robbed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Oct 18, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Sometime over the weekend my garage was broken into. Stole LOTS of tools, broke into my truck and got the stereo and CD changer. I figured it's around $9,000 worth of stuff. Problem is my homeowner's insurance won't cover the stereo out of my truck. That's not good but at least I will get my tools paid for. I know there are worse things you could do, but there are few things that make me more angry than stealing. To think that someone was in my "turf" burns me up :angry1: . Also got two boat motors. Anyway, just wanted to rant a little. I have thought about putting up some signs offering a reward for info. I figure it was some dope head and other dope heads probably wouldn't mind ratting him out for $500+ bucks. Ya'll think it would work?

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Robbery - Main Entry: rob·bery
    Pronunciation: 'rä-b(&-)rE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -ber·ies
    : the act or practice of robbing; specifically : larceny from the person or presence of another by violence or threat

Burglary - Main Entry: bur·glary
    Pronunciation: 'b&r-gl&-rE also -g&-l&-rE also -g&l-rE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -glar·ies
    : the act of breaking and entering a dwelling to commit a felony (as theft); broadly : the entering of a building with the intent to commit a crime

You were burglarized, not robbed. Having said that, I'd try the free approach first. Start asking around everywhere about who might have committed the crime. Lots of people like to talk. Sometimes you can get info just by asking. If that fails, then I'd maybe go the reward route. I'd also check your local flea market, or wherever people sell used goods.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That sucks !!!! Motion light are a very good investment. Motion sensors inside the garage hooked too a loud bell is good too. I have been ripped off before also, ever sense I've added motion light around the propperties I've live at, the thieven has stopped. The bastards don't like lights suddenly coming on.

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Even though there haven't been any reports of break-ins and burglaries here in Murphy, grandmother invested anyway in some motion-sensor lights for both the main door into the house and also the basement apartment door.

Was at first a little afraid of somebody breaking in possibly and stealing my drumset, but I got to thinking about it and thought 'wait a minute'? How are they going to move it all out of the room without making any noises? It's really bulky too, meaning they'd have to make several trips. Also, the room I sleep in upstairs is literally right above the room the drumset is sitting in. So if they try to take it, more than likely I'll hear them fumbling around with trying to move it, so now I'm not that worried about it.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That definately sucks, but be glad they hit your garage and not while you were in it. Stuff can always be replaced, and on the bright side, you can get a crapload of new tools!
    Will the insurance cover the boat motors?

There have been over 45 home invasions pretty close to my house since January. Over the weekend, 3 armed men forced their way into a house, tied up the owner and his wife, and robbed the place. They had two kids sleeping upstairs, too. There's rumor that it was also an attempted rape, but there are conflicting news reports of that.
    I had lulled in my (over a year) drive to get my pistol license, now I'm back into it. My wife isn't comfortable with firearms in the house, but she would rather have one in the house in case it's ever necessary than not have one, and Lord knows the bad guys will probably be in and have their gun at my head much sooner than I can get the long guns out of the safe in the middle of the night...

Better to be caught off guard and armed than off guard and completely powerless. These armed home invasions really really piss me off, mostly because someone has so much disregard for other people that they'd trample thier space, and partly because it proves how the anti-gun crowd creates weak victims.
    Supposedly, if you put "home defense" on your pistol license application (in my county), it will be denied. In the county with the majority of these invasions, you can't even get a license unless your LE.

By the way, anyone know where I can buy a cheap shotgun on line? I have to dig up that link to the place that sells the SKS online, but I'd like to get a nice home-defense shotgun to teach my wife to use.

Sorry for the Hijack!! :doah:

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get a short pistol grip 12 gauge riot gun. [​IMG] Good for home defence .

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I dont think most women would enjoy a pistol grip 12 gauge very much. Most men just like to shoot em for fun and can handle the recoil but methinks anything less than an amazonian WHOAman wouldnt be able to handle it. Mossberg 500's sell for less than $200 at most stores and will work just fine. Plus if you live in a pinko ****** state like NY they will be less likely to accuse you of owning an assault weapon...

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

When you say Amazonian, I guess you're referring to a woman like this:

[​IMG]

You DO NOT want to mess with this girl!!

But anyway, I need an opinion. How likely do you think it is for somebody to want to steal a drumset so they can hock it off? Its bulky and awkward to move, and they'd have to make make multiple trips to get everything, so I guess they may just steal the cymbals and hi-hat? I think mine cost $1000+, maybe $1100 to $1200 new. Some thoughts please.

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

The insurance should cover the boat motors. At least I have not been told otherwise and they did specifically tell me that anything having to do with my truck is not covered. (side note: this kinda sucks because if my house burned to the ground my truck would be burned too. seems like it should be covered) Anyway, my wife and I were not home so being armed really doesn't matter if you are not there. By the way I believe very much in keeping and bearing arms, and the shot guns, rifles, and 44 mag that I keep under my bed are evidence of that. I don't see how people sleep at night if they are not armed.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Lightly...
    :D

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

No worse feeling than getting up or coming home to find you've been violated. We had a serial car stereo thief this last year, sumbitch broke into our Honda 4 different times. The same day I put up a motion light he stole our radio that night. :doah:

I ended up relandscaping and adding a Flourex overhead light above the garage. Now the whole driveway and front yard is lit up at night. Haven't had a problem since but that doesn't mean we won't again.

Your not alone in that regard, a bunch of guys here have had their property stolen at one time or another. :mad:

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been lucky--so far...

The dopers in the cities nearby have finally migrated here--they find a small town with limited police protection that is already strained due to several "big box" stores,accidents on the 5 major highays that run thru our town,and of course,budget cuts an easy target--many homes have been broken into lately,and not too far from me either..

The cops say they usually "case" the house by ringing the doorbell several times--if no one answers,and no cars are in the driveway,they assume your not home and break in..if you happen to open the door,the startled robbers usually ask for someone who does not live there,and pretend to have the wrong adress--or say they are selling something(but have nothing with them!)..they are urging us to be very vigilant bout watching neighbors houses,and report any unusual "visitors".

.I fear for my elderly mom--she doesn't hear the dorrbell half the time--and I'm afraid some scumbag might break in and find out she's home!--and do something bad..I stay home most of the time now because I cant afford gas anyway..God have mercy on anyone who tries stealing from me!--because I won't.. :mad:

Not that we have much worth stealing anyway..most of our stuff is old crap no one would want,period..but that wont stop them from breaking in to see whats here..I don't particularly like guns--I never had one,nor an FID card or a gun permit--with my luck the crooks would get it away from me and use it on ME...but I do keep a crowbar and a double bitted AX near my bed!..and I know how to use them... :rolleyes:

Look in all the "Pawn Shops" and flea markets in your area,even towns 15 miles away--lots of stuff stolen here lands in pawn shops in Fall River and New Bedford,15-20 miles away..now cops require the owners to get the names and adresses of all people selling stuff to them,and have to have a picture ID..`--good luck getting it back.. :crazy:

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Well fortunately I know the sherriff in my county, and I see him every morning in the gym, so I got a chance to talk to him the day after it happened. He told me he would stay on top of it and gave me his cell phone # in case I had any questions. I was kind of frustrated b/c the investigators that came out basically did nothing. I was expecting them to break out the finger print kit and all their "bad guy catching" goodies. Yes, I've been watching too much NCIS. :D When I mentioned this to the sherriff he told me that in all of his years he has only been able to trace finger prints to a person one time. That was very surprising to me. So basically unless they find your stuff chances are they won't find the crook.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ya know, if there's one line in the whole wide world that Bubba hates more than Michael Moore speech explaining why we should pay attention to him; it's this one................

Bubba wonders why people say this, is it because people think that by being in that position, they will get special favors? That's probably it. Bubba wonders if those same people would appreciate it if they did not know someone, but the people who did got special attention for it?

Bubba apologizes for the rant, he just hates the name dropping because being level across the board, no matter who is who and who they know is the best way to operate.

:D :D :D

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

The reason I said that is NOT that I expect to get a special favor. There is nothing special that he could do for me anyway. I said it to illustrate that because I know him I know that he is a good man and is a man of integrity. Therefore I expect him to do all he can to find these people. There is another thread on here right now that goes on and on about corruption among law enforcement officers. My point was that I don't think that will be a problem here. Relax.

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

funny well not really but, we did an afternoon shift tonight, and one of the guys i work with got a call from his wife saying they have been robbed too, brand new camera wedding bands watchs, does know what elce yet.