Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got scammed, what are my options

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shawn, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I purchased some parts ($400 worth) from this guy on another board.

Name: James Walsh
    Address: 906 Northwest Dr. Junction City, KS 66441
    Phone: 785 375-6131 (no answer, just goes straight to VM)

He had a +1 seller rating on the board so I thought it would be okay.

From the information I have, I'm pretty sure he's at Ft Riley in KS.

He cashed the check on 9-28. Since then I have sent him some PM's and emails with no response back. I have called him and even wrote him a letter asking him to contact me ASAP. I contacted my bank but they can't do a thing now since the check has been cashed. I should of done paypal but he wanted a MO or check.

Today he emailed me this:
    According to the board, he's been on there for 2005 and 2006 asking about and doing mods to his car so I know he is not telling the truth when he says he hasn't owned the car since July 04.

I will be meeting with my local police today.

So what else can I do?
    How do I contact his supervisor on a military base?
    Will the military police help me?

I'm pretty bummed that I'm out $400.. :(

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would contact your local police dept. The guy may be telling the truth, so I wouldn't try too get ahold of his CO or the MP's. Let your local PD see what they can do. Your bank should be able too tell you when and where the check was cashed, or if it was deposited into a account. Do you have the address you sent the check to ?? Give that info to your local PD also, and maybe call the Sheriff's dept where you sent the check to. Honestly, you might not get anything back. Maybe a fellow CK5er lives in the area that would be willing too check out that address. Find out if there is anyone by that name living there and let you know.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

He should have some mil email he could contact you through. In the AOR it's actually pretty difficult to access webmail such as Yahoo.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Follow the money, that's where the problem child is.
    Your bank should be able to tell you where & when the check was cashed, and hopefully, if the person is an idiot, which they usally are, what band and account number the money went into. And from that you can get a name. If they were smart, they would have just cashed it at a local branch of the same bank the check was from, all they usally do then is check ID to see if check payee matches person. But they usally take fingerprints in that situation also, banks don't like cashing checks to non-customers, there's too much fraud associated to it.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know if I can be of much help but Ft. Riley is about 1.5 hours away from me. I'm not even sure I could get on base somehow. And then if I could ever meet him, I'm not sure if theres anything legal I can do as he's military and I'm not. He's has more power over me status-wise.
    Be funny to see his face when I confront him and say "Shawn from Colorado sends me as his regards to you for the eBay actions." :bow: :haha:

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Hey Wes... we can go together, I've got a base sticker on my truck and I could vouch you on base ;)

7. thatK30guy

Let me know when you want to go.

And BTW, welcome back home. :wink1: :waytogo:

8. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I want to tag along and take pictures of it all! :D

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the brotherhood at is at it again. :D

that name sounds really familiar to me. he wasnt selling 1st gen parts on EBay was he?

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You don't wanna take pictures... tire irons and .357 hollow points make a mess ;)

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

:haha: :haha: :haha:

12. thatK30guy

Nah, don't need no stinkin' guns and metals. Just good ol' fisticuffs. :wink1: :bow:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pictures are a bad idea. They can be used in court against y'all.

14. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to tag along, guess I'll have to leave the camera at home.

15. Shawn

I know he's not telling the truth. His ad was exactly the same style of writing as his previous posts with no caps and a "..." after every sentence. He says he sold the car back in July 04 but why is he posting in 2005 and 2006 asking questions about his car and how he got it tuned and it made xxx whp.

He's just trying to snake out of this and keep my money. I have the check he cashed and he used a bank where he lives. I have the bank name/address. I doubt the bank will help me but I will call tomorrow just to see. I just talked with a Deputy here in Denver and they can't do much. I've also contacted USPS Inspector and ic3.gov and filed reports.

I have the check and bank info. I'm not sure if they can tell me it went in his account or not.

Thanks Wes! I'm not really sure if he lives on base or not. The address above is where I sent the check to. I tried looking at google maps but it won't zoom that area. If the authorties won't do anything then its time for a road trip. Unfortunately this wasn't ebay so I can't even leave neg. feed back. I just want to kick myself for sending a check. I tend to be too trusting of others.

He does have good feedback on ebay.
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&myWorld=true&userid=jimij25
    Not sure what parts he sold. Funny is that he says that he has been in Iraq for 5 months and ebay shows July dates for feedback.

Thanks everyone!:bow:

16. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

If that guy is military, you'll probably get what you want from him. If he's not military, he better burn in hell for impersonating a non-com

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Damn Dude! Where have You been? I would get a hold of the MP's and the CO at the base.

18. Shawn

I've been around, just been trying to build something fast. So you think its a good idea to contact MP and the CO just to investigate? How do I contact the CO? I found the # for MP.
    http://www.riley.army.mil/Services/Fort/MPO.asp

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Not really sure, but I think just about every base has some sort of department that deals with the general public in one form or another and they may be able to give answers. The JAG may be another way to go about it. If You think about it around every base there is always some idiot trying to scam the GI's as well as some GI screwing with Joe Public. So there has to be some department to handle those situations.

20. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Might want to warn the guy you're taking it to the CC level. There's a pretty high pucker-factor once you mention something like that.