Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got Snow???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Jan 24, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Man--what a storm!!--it started saturday night,and the wind howled at 65 mph most of sat.night and sunday--I plowed at midnight saturday,for fear my truck would be drifted in the garage and trapped(its happenned before!)--after I plowed the drivway,I went back in the garage for a few hours,checking fluids and bolts,etc--when I went to go in the house at 2 am,I could not beleive my eyes--it was deeper than when I plowed 2 hrs before,and there were 4 foot drifts I had to wade thru to get in the house!--and of course the back door was buried,and I had to shovel the house out when all the snow fell inside when I openned it..:mad:

I've seen the worst storms new england ever had,the "blizzard of 78",and a few others that rivaled it--I came from a town farther north of here where it usually gets much more snow than here,and deep snow dosent phase me much--UNTIL YESTERDAY!!--I've never seen the wind like that,it wasnt the "freight train" most folks describe during a hurruicane,it was more like a scream,like a tea kettle--it was 3:30 pm yesterday before I dared go outside--since the snow was higher than the hood of my K20 in front of the garage,I had my doubts if I'd be able to move it--I've had a few other storms like that,and my truck only went 30ft from the garage, it was wet heavy snow those storms ,all I did was plow a huge mound in my only way to the rest of the driveway and the street,and I had to wait a week for a backhoe to move it,and drag my truck out...:frown1:

But I was lucky this tme,the snow was light and powdery,since it was below zero or slightly above the whole storm(its still only 15 degrees out now,isnt expected to go above freezing all week--and maybe more wednesday!):frown1:

We lost power at 8 am sunday,at the height of the storm--I waited 2 hours before deciding to light the wood stoves that havent been lit once in 25 years,mostly because it would aggravate my moms emphasema--reluctantly I had to light it,it was 4 degrees,with the 65 mph winds,the house was starting to get cold fast,and I figured it would be easier to keep the house warm than to try and warm it up after it got cold,I didnt want frozen pipes--since we have an oil burner,well water,and an electric stove,we were scewed!--but I also figured as soon as I lit the stove the power would come back on soon--I was right,only 20 minites later,the light were back on! YAAYY!:grin:

Back to the nightnmare outside--I waded thru 6+foot drifts to my garage,the back door of the house had luckily not been drifted in like the two other doors on my deck and front of the house(I still have to shovel the 6+foot drifts off the deck,stairs,and get my C10 and moms caravan moved)--I got in the garage,when I openned the overhead door about 4 feet of snow came in--when I got into my truck and looked out at the drifts higher than the hood,I said"yea,right"--

-but the diesel reluctanly started,and I nervously said a prayer,and drove out of the garage full speed ahead--everthing went black when the snow came flying over the windsheild!--I put the wipers on,backed into the garage again,and batter rammed it again and again,trying not to get the truck stuck when the plow rides up and over the snow--It took me an hour and a half to beat my way up too the top of the driveway--(its shaped like a letter "Y"and is over 100 feet long,and there is a hill right out of the garage,and a slight corner,the worst part to get the truck past,one side has 2x4foot cement block retaining wall,the other side is trees about 5 ft from the drive--its real easy to slide into the trees,or hit the wall when its buried under drifts!) I made it to the top of the drive,and was lucky to make it past the piles the city plows put at the end when they plowed the street,with a 10 foot snowbank blocking my veiw of the road,I was hoping no one was driving by when I came flying out into the street--and I wasnt stopping for anyone!.

I still have to dig out my moms caravan,(snow up to the windows,my C10 has only the top of the cab visible,snow is level with the windows)and I'm going to have to PLOW my front walk--I've given up on having any grass left on my lawn--I've been sick this past week too,and shoveling snow isnt high on my list of priorities...This is the worst I've seen,the blizzard of 78 is still the "king",according to the statistics,but that was a 3 day storm,and the snow was wet cement--we got 38 inches then,but yesterday we got over 30 easy,in less than 18 hours,and I dont recall the wind being that bad here in 78--all I can say is God bless my 82 K20,despite bouncing off the retaining wall with the plow,and making it jump 4 ft high when I took a big chunk of asphalt out of the street where my driveway ends:blush: nothing has failed yet--and I hope it stays that way--its too cold out to be fixing it!--I'm praying we dont get any more snow,but wednesday we might get 4-6 more inches--I'm running out of room to put it,since I could barely plow it to the sides of the driveway,ticks me off it was so brutal out during the storm,there was no way to stay out in the truck and plow it,all you could do was hunker down and try to survive,,,,ARIZONA is looking REAL good now--I've had enough of this crap....:frown1: :frown1: :frown1: :frown1: :frown1:

Wish I had a digi-cam,or could post pictures--its unbeleiveable out here--we are still under a state of emergency here,until tommorrow at least,many towns had called off school until at least wednesday,but if it snows again,they might get the whole week off!...:crazy:

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea this snow is rediculous!. ill get some pic's of my yard tomoro. i went out side to snowblow the drive way and i couldnt see my s10, it was parked some where in the drive way and when i was snow blowing i ran into the door (i thought it was a drift and i parked it further back).

i kinda like this no school for a couple days, i can get more work done on my truck :grin:

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Pics?????????????

5. 86chevybanshee

i dont know if these will work

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I moved here from Wyoming so I kinda know how you feel. When you get ready to join the rest of us let me know. I know a real good Realtor ;)

7. diesel4me

I cant see the pictures!!

I cant veiw the pictures,I'm denied !--but all I have to do is look out my window anyway..:blush:

Big Yellow Jimmy--I'm fairly serious about moving--my mom is pretty ill and the end might not be far off,and I dont know what will become of her estate,I might be out of luck,we hardly get along,she is very angry at everyone and everything since she got sick with emphasema,makes my life suck ,it pleases her too see that it gets me upset--and I really dont like this state much anymore,with its crappy weather and high taxes and snobby yuppies buying up every peice of land and building yuppie castles...and the people here for the most part are selfish,rude and dont like guys who wrench on trucks in the backyard,and cause a lot of heartaches to the ones like me who would rather work at home than in a retail prison....

I have about 1500 bucks to my name,and thats it for me--46 years old,no job,a small IRA account,and thats it,after 25+years of working,staying home with sick parents have nearly bankrupted me...my own fault I uess-I should have just turned away like my brothers and sisters did,they all have homes now,I have squat....:mad:

Is there any such thing as a small home or trailer in AZ that can be had for that puny amount of money??--or am I smoking crack??--you cant rent a parking space here for 1500 a year!--I assuming since you guys had the wildfires some places might be available cheap perhaps??---I've been looking online in other states for real estate--its incredible how little a house can cost in other parts of the country compared to here--I know several people have sold their not so great 30+year old houses with an acre or 2 of land for 300,000+ dollars,and moved to TN,and bought a 5 acre farm with a nice big house in good shape for just over 100,000 bucks,and are living off the change--I wish my mother was in better health,and would be willing to leave,but thats out...I have to do something soon,thats for sure!..:frown1: :frown1:
    What is the going rate for a "minimal" home in AZ??(Hopefully someplace I wont get murdured or robbed!)...:confused:

8. 86chevybanshee

i cant wait to get out of mass, i think in the next couple of years im going down south, not to far, i still want snow just not this much i just love wheelin in the snow

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

The more you talk about snow the more i think about it is up into the 50s now and only in the 30,s last night. A few days ago it got down into the 20s and i froze to death almost. Thought i am going to have to make some door panels or something if it stays cold long. May be in the 60,s the next couple days. We did see a few snow flakes once this year I think. Oh well enough snow i'm ready for spring.

10. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

talk about f'd up climate patterns.

we got all of a dusting up here (10 miles from CAN border), but have had daytime HIGHS of 0-15 degrees. No fun w/o the snow. That's the only way to get through winter here. Only way a lot of businesses get through up here.

as far as wheelin in the snow.....2 broken Xs :rolleyes:

11. 86chevybanshee

pictures didnt work?

i guess we are supposed too get another 4-10 inches tonight, and another storm this weekend :mad:

my truck will never get done

12. diesel4me

yeah,more snow--AGAIN----

Another 6-10 inches for my area coming--I'm running out of places to put it all,this will make 4 FEET in 4 days!!:doah:

But after the 33 inches with 6-8 foot drifts we got sunday,anything less than a foot is like a dusting now....I hope my truck and plow dont screw up,they have had a good beating the past few days,I'm thankful we got powdery snow due to the frigid temparatures instead of the wet cement stuff we usually get here near cape cod..--its going down to -5 tonite,and will only be in the teens until next week,and I need to get more firewood for my shop,but all the places I was getting pallets from either have none or they are buried under 10 feet of snow--this sucks....:( :mad: :angry1:

86ChevyBanshee,did you find a nose for your truck??--I havent seen my friend that had that 89 K5 since Xmas eve,he may have scrapped it already,since his yard is small and he had several trucks,and he needed room for the snow..he got a part time job now,and I havent been able to go to his house lately,its been so crazy here...:crazy:

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

60 here today. :grin:

14. 86chevybanshee

nope havnt found one yet