Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got some big Wood

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 12, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Winter time is coming. Time to tell friends to come and cut and take some of my wood laying around for firewood. I'm sure that way back when, this was small stuff. But nowadays around here, with how soon trees and forests get logged, this is some sizable stuff still. (That is the big Cedar Chunks in the crew cab, and the other block in the trailer).

BigWood01.JPG

BigWood02.JPG

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

your wood has a big hole in it;)

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

A shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive...
    a country boy can survive

:)

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

those ARE big!

See that log with the hollow center??--thats what many of out "water mains" here are made of,and are over 100 years old! :eek1: ..when I saw the DPW digging them up to replace them with PVC pipe,I couldn't believe we actually drink the water!..the inside of the logs looked like seaweed and fungus! :eek1: --they are replacing a lot of them now,as they fail--but some are just being "lined" with cement instead of being replaced!..

We have lots of pine trees here as big around as those logs,but not that many hardwoods left that big..just a few oak trees here and there get that big here,most others don't get much more than 10-20" around..

You can't leave wood outside more than a few months here,or it turns to mush quickly..all trees that land on the ground are useless for firewood unless you pick them up right away.. trucks aren't the only things that rot away fast around here..:mad:

5. mountainexplorer

I didn't realize they ever did that. I knew they used wood, like way back before the '20s they built a flume channeling water to the town of Metaline Falls, Wa. But it was built from boards, not hollowed logs in a natural state.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that is crazy i would want to save a chunk of that wood pipe.

give them credit though smart thinking.

so diesel it is all wetfoot forest up there?

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats some light stuff, eh ALLAN. :laugh: no truck is squatting with those big logs.are they cottenwood? :D

8. mountainexplorer

Nice and lightweight cedar. The biggest older block was fir I think. It was there and cut for quite a while.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wetfoot??

Not sure what "wetfoot" is,but it is kinda swampy and deep pine forests in my area,and most of the other new england states..It rains qite a bit here,and in the areas of the woods that are dense,it doesn't dry out much,and any wood that lands on the ground pretty much turns to sponge and crumbles rather quickly..I had 2 huge pine trees over 100' tall out in the woods behind my house that were uprooted when a "microburst" came thru the neighborhood about 15 years ago..took out many others too! :eek1:

I went out there about a year later with my tractor and chainsaw,thinking I'd get lots of firewood(even though pine ain't the greatest for creosote,it does burn HOT,and anything is better than freezing)..but only about 15' of the tree that was held off the ground by a stone wall,and some branches was salavagable!..the rest of it lying on the ground was like sponge,soaking wet,and I could rip out huge chunks with my bare hands!--a lot of mushrooms were already growing on it!..it was at least 2' in diameter too!--all mushy and useless.. :mad:
    I could not believe how fast it rotted away!..I went out there the other day..its about 6" in diameter now,and I broke it when I stepped on it!--has at least an inch of moss growing on it..

Another similar pine tree thats near that one was struck by lighting during that same storm--it sliced the tree in half at the crotch,and you can see where the bolt of lightning went right into the ground!--one side of the tree is still alive,the other is dry as a bone,and dead as a doornail!..wish I had a digital camera,and knew how to upload the photos..

It beats me how the hell they drilled out those logs they used as water mains in the old days!-- :confused: --not all of them were rotted out in the center by mother nature I'm willing to bet,they must have made many of them by drilling the center out..(though a lot of the trees I cut recently were hollow in the center--one had a racoon nest in it!)...either that,or they trained carpenter ants to eat only the heartwood out of the logs.. :thinking: :haha: :haha: