Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got some blingin shocks today in the mail

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 6, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL%2D20160&N=0&autoview=sku

A fellow ck5er helped me discover these. For the money, since they're on sale, they're worth a try. As you can tell, the deminsions are basically the same as Gabriel G63438 shocks, but these may be better shocks. I've got ford towers, and I plan to run them at all 4 corners. Going to try to see what happens in stock rear mounting positions, if that causes problems, I'll inboard them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:pimp:

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

DAMNIT i should have totally bought those instead of my new rancho set...damn nice buy

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Nice find. :D We've got six of them over here now, and it's hard to not buy more of them just for the hell of it.:p:

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

i think i found my new shocks. thnx bud anybody know if they're any good.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The Patented IAS Technology Used in Edelbrock Shocks

• [*]The Most Revolutionary Change to Shock Design in Over Twenty Years
      [*]The Only Automotive Shocks with the Patented Inertia Active Valve
      [*]Get a Comfortable Ride and Great Handling with the IAS Design
      [*]Precision Tuned for Each Application
      [*]Limited Lifetime Warranty
      [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edelbrock IAS shocks switch instantly between a firm and a soft circuit for superior handling and a smooth ride. There is no other shock that can deliver this kind of performance. Why? Because no other shock has the patented Ricor Inertia Active System or IAS. Until now, if you wanted to reduce chassis roll around turns and under hard braking, yet have a comfortable ride, you couldn’t do it. No shock absorber in existence could do both without some compromise in either handling or comfort. When you improve the handling with stiffer shocks, the ride becomes rough. When you improve the ride with softer shocks, the handling becomes sloppy. Now, the revolutionary Edelbrock shocks deliver excellent handling and a comfortable ride. The patented Ricor® Inertia Active System eliminates the compromise inherent in other designs for a shock that is soft on rough roads and firm on smooth roads. This keeps the tires on the ground and the chassis stable. You may have heard these claims before, but now it’s for real. With Edelbrock, you get “The Best of Both Worlds”… superior handling and maximum comfort! [​IMG]

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been using them for years. They're the best shocks I've ever used. They totally transformed my 'on road' ride. I'm going to get some for my D*dge dd soon.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well we put them on this project. With its height, track width, and soft suspension, it was downright scary before that. Those shocks gave it a road feel and handling on corners I never dreamed it would have. We're sporting the stickers too. :D

[​IMG]

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice find, might have to get some for my truck:D

9. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

what I learned from Paul (pvfrj) on the phone last night: To make them work, they need to be mounted with the correct side up (as seen with the arrow sticker on the shock.)

You obviously need to knock out that metal mounting tab, but it knocks right out with with a hammer.

The bolt right in the rear, that big stud on the chassis perfectly takes up all the room where the metal tab was knocked out of the bushing.

For the front, so that the width will be correct, when using Ford shock towers (which you'll need to do), you need to actually swap the bushings in the edelbrock shocks.. the top bushing goes in the bottom, and vise versa.

With just this small ammount of tweaking, its one heck of a shock, at one heck of a deal... I can't wait to see how they ride :bow: