Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got some cooling problems........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok here goes, I had a 180 degree therm in there, and it ran real hot, so i took the therm out and ran without one, it still ran hot. Ok so i put a 160 degree in there hoping itll cool down, Nope still runs hot. I can fry a damn egg on my intake, i was buring my fingers trying to hook up the kick down cable....

The Water pump is about a year and half, two years old. but it is still pumping water. the radiator leaks a little bit, but i barely have to add water so it isnt leaking very much. i dont know my exact Coolant/water ratio, but that shouldnt really matter much seeing how hot it is running.... What should i replace next?...thx.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Try a 195 t-stat. Alsao how old is your radiator? If it is original, it could be cloged and time for a new one. BTW running without a t-stat, or one that is too low with actually make a car overheat.

Dan

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

what fan do ya have? do you have a shoroud? and how many rows in the radiator? and is the bottom half of the radiator full of mud? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...did it all of a sudden start gettin hot,or is this an old problem made worse by our outside temp lately?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try flushing your cooling system. You'd be surprised about all the crap that builds up in there over the years. If you do replace your radiator, get one for a big block. Alittle extra cooling power is a good thing in my opinion.

5. Silver84k5

yea i should do that again, its been about a year since i flushed.

6. Silver84k5

hmm wont that make it run at 195? that seems hot too me....

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

If the Radiator is leaking, it's time to pull it, and take it to a Radiator shop, and have it rodded out. Chance's are, there's lot's of buildup in the bottom, where You can't see, and having the shop do it, will solve two problem's with one stop.

And yes leave the thermostat in, coolant can't soak up heat, if it can't spend time in the engine, a thermostat keep's coolant in the engine for that reason. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Silver84k5

yea that temp lately hasnt been helping ;P

im just gonna get a new Rad..... gonna need one for the Mill anyway thx.

9. DesertDueler

Chevys like to run between 200 and 210.

Dan

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW running without a t-stat, or one that is too low will actually make a car overheat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish people would stop saying this. Authoritative statements are often wrong, and this is.

11. Silver84k5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    BTW running without a t-stat, or one that is too low will actually make a car overheat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish people would stop saying this. Authoritative statements are often wrong, and this is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i didnt think that made sense...

12. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Running without a T-Stat will, in many cases, make your vehicle overheat or run hotter due to the fact that the coolant moves too fast through the radiator.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Running without a T-Stat will, in many cases, make your vehicle overheat or run hotter due to the fact that the coolant moves too fast through the radiator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding !

Same resoning behind useing a 190 stat.

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope still runs hot. I can fry a damn egg on my intake, i was buring my fingers trying to hook up the kick down cable....

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me ask a stupid question, guess I missed something.
    How do you know its running hot ?
    What is your temp readings when you changed the stat? 200-240??

The intake manifold is going to get hot. your going to burn your fingers touching it after the engine has been running.
    Normal temp is 195.

15. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You say it is running hot but HOW hot?There is NOTHING wrong with 200-210...I run a 180stat in my 454 and it sits right around 185 on a moderate day and gets up to about 205 on 100+ days...that is without a shroud...

And the statement about running without a t-sat is TRUE (I tried it myself and the truck ran on average 10-15 degrees hotter without the stat)...The T-stat is a purposfully designed restriction in the cooling system...It slows the flow down...This gives the coolant MORE TIME in the block to draw heat from the cylinders and MORE TIME in the radiator to expell the heat...

I would put in a 190 -195 stat and see how hot it runs...if it stays around below 205 or so I would call it good...if it gets to like 215, look at the Rad first...

Chris

16. Silver84k5

ok.... When i took out the t-stat i thought i would run cooler. But my buddy (uncle cracker) Told me that same thing you just said. "The coolant doesnt have enough time in the radiator to cool down" Then i heard just the opposite from a differnt friend.

But anyway, My truck runs at the same temp.... 200-210 so i guess im trippin over nothing... Thx for all the replies.

since there are 4 responses saying the running without a stat or no stat can make overheating probs. Ill go with that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

It still might be a good idea to pull the radiator and take it to a shop for cleaning. Should only cost around $40 or so and they do need periodic cleaning. Some vehicles with computer control will not function properly if there is a lower temp stat. The computer looks for a certain temp (like 195) to do things with emission systems or fuel control. Lower temp stat never lets it trigger.

Play it safe, have it cleaned, install a new stat and your good to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Silver84k5

got a new stat, im just gonna get a new radiator... theres no computer on my truck, the motor is from a 77

What does it take to install a 4core radiator? i know i need the Brackets for the top of the Radiator, but on the lower part, are there removeable brackets or do a i need a core support that came with a 4 core? thx.

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    And the statement about running without a t-sat is TRUE (I tried it myself and the truck ran on average 10-15 degrees hotter without the stat)...The T-stat is a purposfully designed restriction in the cooling system...It slows the flow down...This gives the coolant MORE TIME in the block to draw heat from the cylinders and MORE TIME in the radiator to expell the heat...

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried it too, and my vehicle never warmed up. So it's not TRUE, although it may be TRUE in some cases. I can run my truck without an engine fan, but that doesn't mean that it's TRUE that no one needs it.

There have to be some variables that we aren't figuring in, since the coolant is less efficient at transferring heat the warmer it gets, period. That's physics, not speculation. So if the coolant moves slower, the water in the block is getting hotter, and absorbing LESS heat than if it were cooler. That's not good, and SHOULD be reflected at the head. Find a reputable source that says slowing the coolant down is a good idea...I doubt you will.

T-stats aren't intended to act as a restrictor except when they are closed, and that is just to maintain a fairly constant engine temperature. This is why you see "high flow" t-stats.

While it's true the longer coolant stays in the radiator the cooler it gets, (of course) the temperature drop across the radiator (inlet temp to outlet temp) is important to measure, and most of us don't have the equipment to do that. Say the radiator drops 10*, but slowing the coolant down drops it another 5*. With the increased time the coolant spends in the block, you are creating hot spots, and the coolant has become much less effective. That means the coolant coming back into the radiator is even hotter than when the coolant was moving faster, and the radiator has to "work harder" which typically isn't possible past a certain point.

In a properly operating cooling system, large enough for the engine in question, no t-stat should be *necesary*. People that pull t-stats to try and solve overheating problems typically try a 180 or 160 instead of the 195 to try and fix the problem. If an engine can't maintain 195 or 160, pulling the t-stat isn't going to help.

In your case, can't say why the temperature went up, but perhaps without the t-stat there is a bit of a pocket created near where the sender is. It very well could be that the coolant near the sender was boiling, removing the sender from coolant contact. You can find stories of people complaining about gauge readings, yet using an infrared thermometer in different places indicates the gauge/sender is the problem, not the cooling system.

20. DesertDueler

A t-sat does act as a restricter in open and close. In close it doesnt let any through, but when it opens it lets coolant through, but only the size of the center of the t-stat. The metal outer doesnt disapear, so that is still a restriction. That is why when you dont run a t-stat on a car like when you add an electric water pump, you have to run a restricter to allow it to cool better.

As for wanting to restrict or slow the coolant flow down, yes you do in some cases. On a top bottom style radiator, if you run either no t-stat, or the newer style t-stat, they will overheat(well in AZ atleast). They need the super t-stat style, which is the same as the old late 60s style t-stat. Also the stant super t-stat is more restrictive than the cheap one. Go take a look at one.

Dan