Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got some Heim questions regarding steering.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jan 14, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, I cant find a tie rod end that will work with my D44 knuckles and clear the springs so ive decided to go with Heim joints.

Im planning on running FK rod ends, they seem to be the best ive seen so far and I have easy access to them. But Im a little skeptical on what size heim to run. I have access to the taps for the 7/8 shank heims, but I am wondering if I really need to run that large of heim on a steering setup for a non hydro assist setup.

I can either get a .625" Bolt size heim with a .750" Shank that is rated at 40,000 lbs Static radial load. Now I just wonder if the .625" grade 8 bolt is going to be strong enough in a single shear connection. Now the next size up uses a .750" Bolt with a 7/8" shank. Now that Rod end is rated for 55,000 lbs static radial load. But I think a .750" Bolt will be strong enough in single shear to work.

So in other words which size should I go with? Keep in mind I am running 35" tall tires, stepping up to 37's in the future. I dont plan on running Hydro Assist, and I do have crossover and this truck is mainly driven on the street.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

FYI, I ran 3/4" grade 8 bolts in single shear on my tie rod heims with 40" tires and hydro assist with absolutely zero problems... With my new double ended ram setup I am continuing to use the 3/4" heims.

[​IMG]

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Robzilla ran a 5/8 bolts and had some shearing (and searching in the dark) problems. I think he is running 3/4 bolts now. I would go for the 3/4 myself. Look at a TRE and notice the stud size at the begining of the taper, that is your minimum right there. Any single shear connection will probably be weaker than the joint itsef. What is the problem with regular TRE's? Is it those new 52" springs up front. You could also put in a 1/2" zero rate and maybe fit them.
    Just my thoughts though.

PS: you have a 9/16 bolt in the lower front shackle mount, correct? PM me your adress and I cam send out 2 sleeves for the upper shackle bushings if you want (no charge). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, Im going to run the 3/4"x7/8" Heims then. Just need to see if I can drill the knuckles out while they are on the truck. Its funny the 2 Heims cost the same as one tie rod end. I would run a little zero rate up front but I dont want to gain any more ride height. It sits high enough as it is.

Hey AZ-K5, I PMed ya.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A standard 3/4" bit will break your wrist. There is a stubby bit (a cannot remember the name of it right now) it looks like a 3/4" countersink bit. Pterson's showed it about a year and a half ago. It will work for ya. I thought you had hy-steer???

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have highsteer but It hits the pitman arm with the stock size tie rod, so when I get the 1.5" DOM on there it will hit even worse on compression. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif wish I would have known about that when I bought arms I would have bought the behild the axle arms from Rock Stomper.

7. willyswanter

I drilled my 60 knuckles using a regular 3/4" drill bit and 1/2" hand drill with the tires mounted and everything... It was tight but it worked.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Go to the auto parts store and look at some 1st gen TRE's. D44's back then had the TRE's go down from the top and put built some drop into them so you could remove them without having to take off the axle u-bolts.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Dan, I got the TRE's that are supposedly for and they didnt have enough drop and they were a smaller shank that the 7/8" that I want. Plus both Heims are cheaper than 1 TRE. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Jason, where did you get the drill bit from? Im wondering if the local Lowes will have a drill bit that large. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. willyswanter

Yes they will, I bought mine at Home Depot...

12. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

where are you guys gettin your 3/4" heim joints from. i cant find them anywhere up here in BC.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

FK Rod Ends makes them. I am ordering them from Off Road Warehouse in Southern California. I would imagine you could find a distributor that is a lot closer to you than that. Im usingThese rod ends for my Tie Rod setup. If I was going to use the rod ends in a Draglink setup I would get a set of 1" Rod ends and use misalignment spacers to gain more angularity out of them while still having the strength of .75" Bolt or I would get these rod ends.