Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got some news that could be the best news of my life so far (not a baby)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Aug 26, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

so my parents split when i was less than a year old. they were both into drugs.... my brother turned in my mom when i was in 4th grade, she went in a rehab house for 3 years and got us back right when i started 7th grade, shes been clean and has done very well.

My dad on the other hand has been in and out of jail his whole life, has no liscence, and has done drugs his whole life, he is the picture purfect tweaker at 6'1" and 145... i've given up hope on him because if he wouldnt stop for his parents, wife, kids, then theres no pushing it. so i havent spoken to him for 2+ years. Well i found out he's been in a 1/2 way house for 2 months.. works a full time job that he has to ride the bus 3 hours a day there and back to get to. he goes to 3 or so NA meetings a week and runs one meeting. he goes to church 2x on sunday.... it looks like we may have a life together!

He is the best mechanic i know. He had some silly contest in the 70's where he took apart and rebuilt a carb in the dark in 15 minutes or something like that. he also had a 10 second car when he was my age. i may have the facts wrong. Last he spoke to me i didnt even know what wrench was. now i've built a complete truck! I've missed him and have been sad not to have him in my life for all the good things like getting married and building the truck. if he pulls through, this will be the best thing to happen in my life to date. wish him luck!

anyway i'm just excited, but theres still a chance he could fail. today is his 60 day mark, i'm proud of him! :bow: :bow: :laugh:

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's really great, I miss my Dad. He passed away 15 years ago.

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear your Pop is taking the right path. And it's also great to hear someone with incredible talent (regardless what the talent is) who is using it to their benefit, and not ignoring it. Congrats, man - this'll make anyone proud.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think it's great that he seems to be on a mission to change. I hope for you and the family, and him as well, that he is able too.

But, I would have to advise that you "approach with caution". I don't want to sound skeptical .. it's not my intention ... but it can be a hard road from what I've seen.. and 2 months is still a little too short to be free and clear.

I'd hate to see you get set up for another let down. So, I'm just saying, for yourself .. keep an open mind, but remember that it still a little soon. It's not your fault he led the life he did... so it's not your fault if you need to keep an emotional distance for a little while longer, just to keep from getting hurt.

Best of luck to you, the family and your dad. :thumb:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's great news, great to hear how it's going even just hearing the background for the first time.

I hope it all works out, and it's really good to see you're not bitter and holding a grudge against him.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Thats awesome news! My dad and I have always been close and I couldn't immagine life without him. I hope all works out and you can get close to him

Mike

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks guys! everytime something went a little wrong on the truck, i knew he could fix it, but i didnt want him around. I would love him to fully recover, get a job and have a normal life. I'm still cautious about it. i'm not fully opening up to the idea that he's better. i'm going to visit him next saturday :D

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Good news , keep him busy on trucks and hopefully doing that with you is enough :D

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

sorry for your pain, good to hear he is going in a positive direction now. i wish it was a drug problem or something like that, that was the cause of my dads lack of wanting to be a part of my life and my sons life. he just doesen't care to, or doesen't want to. he is my sons only grandpa and has only seen him two or three times. this stuff is too painful to talk about, good luck.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm very happy too read that. As a former tweeker, I know how hard it can be too get away from meth. My best wishes to both you and your dad.

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had my wife read this post she is a drug and alcohol counseler she says to support him but not enable him, that is the biggest mistake most family members make when their loved ones start getting better. If he loves working on stuff try and help him be able to do that. Its a tough road. I hope everything goes well.

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

could you elaborate? not enable him? how? Any other advise? i'm wide open

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think he meant don't be lenient on anything he shouldn't be doing. Don't give a man just done recovering from an alcohol addiction a celebratory beer.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

RJ you are both intelligent and awesome. I just wanted you to know i knew that ;)

also i want to express my joy at you possibly hooking up with yer dad and connecting on the mechanical level. it would seem as though you two will be on the road to bondage soon enough. i wish you the best and hope for your closeness!!!!

chris

15. Resurrection_Joe

Oh yes sorry, I hope it works out. I have't had a father for close to 10 years, and I'm always loooking for a father figure. Pulling yourself out of any kind of negative behavior is hard.

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Kristle (my wife) says to go to an ALANON meeting and to go get the book, Co Dependant no more. The ALANON meetings will be of the greatest help to you she says you can find them in the phone book and if you can't, find the local AA chapter and ask them they will know. Hope this helps I know my last statement was a little vague Kristle says it is hard for her to give advice without knowing alot more about your situation.

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i prayed for you and your dad.i hope you guys can get back together.you will, stay busy with dad as much as you can. :D

18. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Now, I'm no expert -- and the people that say to go find an AA/NA group are right -- but my AA buddy always says that you don't recover from these addictions. It's a disease, a sickness, that stays with you. You can MANAGE it, as my buddy has; he's, geesh, prolly ten years sober now, and one of the sharpest guys I'ev ever met. (Lends some credence to the theory that drugs/alcohol only kill the weak brain cells :haha: but I digress.)

Anyway, keep that in mind. I donno about meth or whatever your dad's particular kick is (I am drug stupid, in fact :) ) but it could be a lifelong thing. Not that this is a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

And yeah, two months ain't much ... but One Day At A Time, right?

-- A

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm with you bro.my dad is cool as all get out. BUT he has only seen my son a few times ,audric is 4 years old and only knows grandpa has BIG LOADERS. :rolleyes: the rest of the grandparents are on the wrong side of the sod.what are ya gonna do? :D

20. Resurrection_Joe

False by definition. It's pure sensory addiction.