Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got some Pics of my Lt-1 conversion.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88streetblaze, May 8, 2002.

1. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jasonloy>http://community.webshots.com/user/jasonloy</a>

i still have a few little things to finish, but now that i don't have the m.c.a.t. looming over me i've got time to finish...

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Look's really good !

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Very nice, congrats. How Long did that take you to get every thing figured out.

4. 88streetblaze

most people consider that overkill for my daily driver, but what can i do since chronic Obsessive compulsive disorder runs in my family. imo the only thing better would be a fuelie big block..

it wasn't that much to figure out, it is pretty much a drop in and wire it up, except for the fuel lines and headers (the block is just a little bit wider that a standard 350) so the hardest part of the whole thing was finding headers that fit right, the wiring wasn't hard, i just went with an aftermarket harness and just intergrated the senders and wiring for the gauges and started.

5. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Looks great! What kind of headers did you end up going with?

6. 88streetblaze

i was going to have to have the special built, (i went through 9 or 10 sets of headers), but i was talking to the company i bought the motor off of (street &amp; performance <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tunedport.com>www.tunedport.com</a>) on another matter and they hooked me up with a set they thought would work, one side worked perfectly but the other only had 50 thousandenths clearance without the gasket so i took a bunch of pics. and sent it back and they fabbed up another for that side and it worked great. i can't say enough good things about these guys, they custom built half a set of headers and still only charged me the normal price. and headers are top notch, the welds on the inside and down on the collector we're smoothed out and just look better (imho) and are just as high quality if not higher than any other of the 9 or 10 sets that i went through.

7. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Looks good. Why did you ruin it by making it batch fire?

8. 88streetblaze

?? i did?

9. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Well, you have a 94-97 intake. Dunno if that's an LT4 intake or if it's just a painted LT1.

Anyway, without a MAF input, 94-97 revert to batch fire &amp; limp home mode.

92-93 LT1's which are speed density, are already batch fire.

I hope even if they crutched it into being a 92/93 setup, you're at least running a VSS.

Matthew

10. 88streetblaze

you probably get as irritated as I do when i see lt-1's that are obviously out of camaro's labeled as vettes in magazines don't you?

it's a '96, i own a powder coating system so yes it is a lt-1, i didn't want to actually put a lt-4 intake on without also going with the lt-4 heads

the computer is a reprogrammed one out of a '94 so i don't have to worry about the limp home mode kicking in(and this isn't a crutch fix), I could be wrong but i was thinking that the '93's were also sequential. Even if they aren't there isn't that big of an advantage( not just IMO, but everything I’ve read backs this up) to quibble over whether or not the injectors fire individually or in batch, and yes i am running a vehicle speed sensor

11. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Hehe. There was a really OBVIOUS 9C1 caprice LT1 with 'Vette LT1' in the title on fleabay.... The f-body accessories work pretty well in a lot of GM stuff, &amp; are less expensive so they're the way to go IMHO.

Good call on the LT4 stuff; I think the LT1 would be better in a truck; slightly better velocity over the larger LT4 ports.

If you read the documentation in the factory service manual about a MAF failure, you'll see that a lack of it causes the PCM to revert to batch fire / limp home mode. I (understandably) don't believe they reprogrammed a 94 PCM for that, but anything is possible. All that I've ever heard was that they were using 92/93 ECM's for control.

Couple important questions on this: are you running an elec. tranny? (looks like a TV cable under there, but I can't tell for sure) And what's the svc. # on the ECM?

Batch (or bank, depending on how you look at it) LT1's aren't bad, but sequential is better. But why not run a MAF?

12. 88streetblaze

i’m running a 700r4, i got the throttle bracket off of a camaro to allow me to do that, i’ll have to look in my paperwork to see exactly what the computer is out of, it is either a 93 or 94.

as for the MAF, it was just a decision i made early on since i wasn't sure if i would be doing additional modifications later on or not, if you look really close you might be able to see the 52mm t.b. and i knew that i wanted to do that type of air intake, so didn't see any benefits that would be worth me making it more expensive to do when everything i’ve read implies that there is just a marginal improvement ,if any, unless your talking about a highly modified motor. but you know what the hell, it is still multi-port and really fun to drive. in fact i see my first ticket coming really soon.

what really gets me are the magazines that list it when it still has the f-body accessories, the fuel lines are on the wrong side, and it has the really cheap looking valve covers.

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Where did you get the aluminum/stainless/whatever air ducting...............and the rubber boot that mates it to the throttle body?

14. 88streetblaze

i had the stainless duct made by stainless specialties, and it's slipped my mind off hand where i got the boot, i'll look it up tonight if you really want to know.

15. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Man that is sweet---looks like it was meant to be there. hmmmmm--me thinks me knows where an lt-1 is.

16. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Looks great, gotta love that red.

17. 88streetblaze

yeah the whole red thing wasn't planned but i'm pleased with how it turned out, i need to get some pics. of the what i had done to the power steering lines when i had them made at the local hydraulic hose shop.

jmd- yes the f-body lt-1's are a little bit cheeper, but during my shopping around i found that the vettes where actually a better buy unless i wanted to notch the frame so that the compressor would fit, or get rid of the compressor(which wasn't going to happen since i live in OK) and the vettes are actually 4-bolt blocks as opposed to the 2-bolts that the f-bodies are, and then the valve covers and the dress up covers that came with it,

18. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Where in Oklahoma are you ? I'm always looking for a fellow k5'er around here.

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'd appreciate if you could look it up...........and if you have a link to stainless specialties I'd be much obliged. Is that 4" diameter?

20. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

How much did it all cost