Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got some problems, is this a simple fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IL84JIMMY, Jan 7, 2003.

1. IL84JIMMY

IL84JIMMY Registered Member

lately my 84 Jimmy has been having some problems with the throttle. it started when it started getting cold here in IL, and it was like the throttle was getting stuck open. i have a manual, so i can manage it OK but when i would just be stopped at a light or anytime i would put in the clutch, it revs way up to near 2000 rpm's and stays there. i have tried really punching the gas to see if it will let loose but that doesnt seem to do it. then lately it has been doing something else. either it is reving way high like that, or it is like it is not idling high enough, so when i am in low rpms, and accelerating it is like it is not getting enough gas so it will jerk real hard on me, like it is going to choke and die right there, it never does, i just back off a little, and it catches up, but i dont get it. so it has been doing on of those two things almost everytime i drive it. and it is really spiratic. i never know what it will do. one time when it was reving at 2000 rpms, i stopped and left it running and pulled of my air filter to just see what wsa going on, and i saw underneath there, ther is a little lever to the left of the carb. and when i would push that a little, then it would click to a different position, and the rpms woiuld be normal. i dont know what i was doing or anything i am not a mechanic, but i am trying to learn, and do as much of this stuff myself as i can. so any advice would be greatly appreciated,i want to try to get it taken care of before i head back to school in a week. thanks for any advice.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> On the left of the carb as you look at it? So, the passenger side of the truck? Sounds like the choke might be misadjusted, it would cause the problems that you're describing. </font color>

3. IL84JIMMY

IL84JIMMY Registered Member

yeah, on the passenger side, it is just like a little pale green thing with like an arm on it that you can move. that is what i moved. what do i do to adjust the choke? thanks for the help shaggy.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That lever with the steps on it you moved was the fast idle cam. When the truck is cold and you set the choke by stepping on the gas before starting, the choke plate closes and the throtlle sits on the fast idle cam. When the choke is adjusted correctly you should be able to blip the throttle to get it to kick down.

Either the choke is set too rich (takes too long to open) or the mechanism is just sticky. I'd start with some carb cleaner spray and soak the linkages down and see if that helps. If it all moves freely and it still does it you'll have to adjust your choke so it opens a little quicker.

As for falling on it's face sometimes...that could be partially due to the choke as it currently is. If the fast idle problem is solved by spraying and cleaning the linkage and it still does it you may have a bad accelerator pump on the carb.

Best case the carb spray might get you back to good again. Worst case you might need to rebuild the carb...

Rene