Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got some questions. Do have any recommendations?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Angry Republican, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Angry Republican

Angry Republican Registered Member

My K5 has two motor issues.
    1) it knocks a lot. Like it has a bad tank of gas. It loves high test. If put a lot of gas through it so I don’t think it’s the gas. It happens mostly in overdrive.
    2) It burns about 1 quart of oil every 3hrs. The driver side exhaust leaves a nice racing stripe up the side of anything that I am next to when I stomp on the gas. Not to mention a nice cloud.
    Are K5’s known to have bad heads? The motor has 55k original miles. We installed new valve stem seals on both heads thinking it would help. It didn’t.

I’m looking to replace the carpets. Where is the best place to order them from, and what manufacturer.
    Any help would be great..
    Rich

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1 quart of oil every 3hrs.

[/ QUOTE ] Yikes !!!! Time for a rebuild, or different motor !!!! What size engine is it ??? If it's the never popular 305, I'd recomend something like a 383 stroker.

3. Angry Republican

It's got a 350 TBI. I have a feelin I'll be pullin the heads off this weekend. Someone said it might be the valve guides. Fun Fun!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Hope the machine shop dosen't make me grab my ankles!!!! ouch!

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yikers!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif sounds like you blew a seal somewhere

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You could be sucking oil into the intake ports from the valley. Before you pull the heads, check closely to see if the intake manifold gaskets are sealing properly. And it also sounds like your timing is advanced too far. Actually, if you have driven it for a while with the detonation, you could easily have broken rings and/or broken ring lands on some of your pistons, which would also explain the oil consumption.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't pull the heads before I did a compression test. If you've got bad compression, then you're problem most likely isn't just (if at all) the guides.

Hopefully its something "easy" like guides and your compression is good on all cylinders, but if you have a bad cylinder, you are only looking at a couple of different culprits, most likely a broken ring.

7. Angry Republican

Thanks for the ideas. When i figure it out what it is or what needs to be done I'll post it. Maybe it can help someone else trouble shoot there problems
    Rich /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif