Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got some ??s i'm new to the stereo department

Discussion in 'Audio' started by muddysub, Dec 22, 2001.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

got some ??s i\'m new to the stereo department

i wanna replace all the speakers and the stereo in my '89 suburban. should i just replace the speakers with speakers of the same size but higher quality, or go with bigger speakers? i have like 3 1/4"s (i think) in the dash and 4x10"s in the back. should i add some speakers to it? i DO NOT want boxes/enclosures taking up storage space in the back, i've heard that like an 8" tube thingy will sound really good back there and they don't take up too much space, is that true?

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Re: got some ??s i\'m new to the stereo department

If you are not concerned with having a competition level system and just want to rock out to good sounding music, I would reccomend replacing the factory speakers and head unit and add a powered tube. Now, the key to an easy system like this is be sure to cut out the bass frequencies to the 3 1/2" speakers in the front and only go to like 120htz with the 4x10's, then run all freq's from 120htz down to the tube. And with the dash speakers, you would not be able to go anybigger than a 3 1/2", the dash just isnt made right without custom work. This setup would sound good, you wouldnt be able to shake the mirror's or impress 13 year old's at the mall or anything like that [​IMG]. I say go with a 30 or 40 watt x4 chanel amp for the full ranges, be sure to cross the speakers over and then a 100 watt tube ( I would go with a 10"bazooka just for the lower bass sound). This could be cheap, and sound good. If you want to do custom fab work, and have a big budget..the sky is the limit. 3 way separates in the doors, custom boxes in the rear side panels, stealth installation...ect ect
    Brent

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: got some ??s i\'m new to the stereo department

thanks a-lot, that will definitely help me out.

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241