Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got some steering problems while braking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, May 28, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

my '91 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif steering was perfect...... then, after a weekend offroading trip.... the frame started cracking.... i installed the ord weld-in repair kit, and the bolt-in brace kit.

it now tracks fairly straight while cruising...... but, as soon as i apply the brakes, it starts to pull right pretty hard. i have to physically turn the wheel waaaaay left just to keep it straight while braking. if i let go of the steering wheel, and brake.... it will gradually pull to the right with increasing intensitiy, then, when it comes to a stop, and the suspension decompresses, the wheel will suddenly jerk another 45* to the right.

i've got 2.5" suspension with stock steering arm and draglink. i have a raised steering arm, but, i think it's too tall for 2.5" lift, so i dont wanna put it on yet.

what could be my problem????

i have had brake problems in the past on different vehicles that produce similar results where the rubber brake hose gets pinched, and doesn't release the caliper on one side...... but, i have stainless lines, and don't think it's the breaks causing the pull, i think it's the steering.

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

My guess is it's a braking problem. I've had that same problem before on sevral trucks over the last 20 years and it's always been brakes. Bad caliper, brake hose (like you mentioned), glazed rotor, lining coming off of brake pad (happened 3 times!). Those are the few I remember.

Eric M.

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

when I have to slam on the breaks hard the rear of the truck will try to come around on the drivers side. I just deal with it cause I know whats gonna happen. Ive asked a few of my truck friends if its normal and they say every lifted truck they have ever had did the exact same thing.

Nick

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

If you are sure it only pulls while braking, then look for a collapsed (internally) brake line or binding caliper. After repaired the frame did you get an alignment? The trucks thrust angle and caster could be off if not. This would contribute to the problem.

5. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Did you get an alignment after the steering box repair? A bad algnmant can cause a truck to dart and pull under braking /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

no, i haven't gotten an alignment. i have manually checked the toe in/out cause my tires are wearing on the outside, and it was perfect. my caster is causing the tire wear cause it has pinion shims.

does the cracking frame actually change the geometry of the frame? i dont see how the mounting location of the steering box changes the alignment? what would be off? how would i check it?

i really dont think it's a brake problem because after the truck comes to a complete stop, and as the front suspension decompresses or "burps" immediately after it's stopped, the wheel will turn a good 45* real hard as the suspension decompresses...... since it does that, it would seem like the problem is somewhere between the steering arm and the steering box.... like draglink and/or pitman arm..... because that is where the steering flexes with the suspension. but, i dunno /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i do know that the rubber boots on the draglink ends are torn and messed up...

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Try a drop pitman arm, I grabbed on of ours off the shelf for the 3" lift on my 'burb and it took care of the brake turn. Mine wasn't as severe as yours but it definitely tried to turn under braking. Now it works pretty nice.
    Let us know if you want to try it, it seems to be a good fix for the shorter lifts.

8. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Try a drop pitman arm, I grabbed on of ours off the shelf for the 3" lift on my 'burb and it took care of the brake turn. Mine wasn't as severe as yours but it definitely tried to turn under braking. Now it works pretty nice.
    Let us know if you want to try it, it seems to be a good fix for the shorter lifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much does the drop pitman arm run?

i'm planning on going up to 3.5"-4" in the near future, and 6"-7" in a year or 2.

9. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

I put a 6 '' lift on my 91 burb and have the same prob. and I do have the drop pitman.I could apply my brakes at a drop stop and the wheel would pull. More than likely your tracking of your front end is off and pointing more to the right.The drop arm is a pain in the butt to adj. and straighten the front end because it is threaded both right haned unlike the fact. which is right on one end left on the other allowing you to simply twist causing your front end to either angle out or in until it is straight.You cannot do that with the drop arm.You must physically center the wheel undo the arm and measure then reattach the drop pit to the steering arm hopefully your at center.This is a pain.I readj. mine and there was a signif. improvement in the right brake pull but its still not quite right.

10. coyle13

coyle13 Registered Member

You are thinking of the drop drag link. The drop pitman arm adjusts just like the stock one, it just has a 2" "drop" to help with the drag link/steering arm angle. Mine works great on a 4" lift. They run from $75-$90, depending on where you get it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I put a 6 '' lift on my 91 burb and have the same prob. and I do have the drop pitman.I could apply my brakes at a drop stop and the wheel would pull. More than likely your tracking of your front end is off and pointing more to the right.The drop arm is a pain in the butt to adj. and straighten the front end because it is threaded both right haned unlike the fact. which is right on one end left on the other allowing you to simply twist causing your front end to either angle out or in until it is straight.You cannot do that with the drop arm.You must physically center the wheel undo the arm and measure then reattach the drop pit to the steering arm hopefully your at center.This is a pain.I readj. mine and there was a signif. improvement in the right brake pull but its still not quite right.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "S" shaped draglink will not do anything to correct your steering geometry. All it does is improves the angles that your TREs operate at. You have to use a raised steering arm or a dropped pitman arm if you want to correct your bump steer.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I had a combo of things weird after the lift, turned out to be the caliper but the balljoints on that side from heated the arm also had to be replaced. I think that amplified the braking issues. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a combo of things weird after the lift, turned out to be the caliper but the balljoints on that side from heated the arm also had to be replaced. I think that amplified the braking issues. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have experienced this also, and you're absolutely dead on in your thinking that all that heat destroys balljoints. Every time I've ever heated a steering arm to get it off, I've had to replace balljoints.

14. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

OK, I have the same problem. Mine pulls, not bad, to the right after the 2.5" lift.
    I had new every thing up front prior to the lift.
    It pulls, but not that bad.
    Should a drop steering arm be used. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

Mine does this too, although I usually always kinda pump the brakes. So it'll do it once pretty hard, then when I hit them again, it doesn't pull quite so hard. And also, it doesn't always pull. I've replaced the front hoses with braided hoses. This didn't seem to solve the pulling like I thought, but if anyone hasn't done this yet, put it on top of your list. They made an incredible difference, especially if you have big tires obviously. I used a raised steering arm too, so I don't know what causes this.