Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 30, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I do:D . I just got my 56s today and order my fully greasable urethane bushing system from ORD, but they are on backorder:( . Oh well at this rate it will prolly take me 2 weeks to get the old bushings and sleeves out:doah: . Any ideas would be great I do not have a torch or a press.

Ira

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

gasoline and a match?

or just drill and then cuss and drill some more followed by some cussin and then finish it up beer and alot more cussin.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I gotta go buy me a cheap corded drill as my craftsman rechargeable batteries just **** the bed:doah: . I was drilling and it did not seem to be doing anything. Rubber was coming from somewhere but when you pull the bit out there is no hole:crazy: . I think it might take some time and a lot of beers:D . Also these do not have any spring clamps or overloads, do I need them?

Ira

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

why not take them to a shop and let them press them out? $20 for their trouble would be cheaper than a new drill.

as to the clamps and overloads i have no idea...you could have clamps added at a spring shop and you might could pick up a set of overloads while you are there. not to mention a couple of center pins. and some new u bolts.

i love my local spring shop. im like a kid in a candy store when i am there.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I got a national spring about 2 blocks from my house. I already have ubolts and I would like to have an overload as I don't want to reverse the springs into negative arch. I know I could lower the bumpstops but overloads do the same thing for the most part. I also intend to use 3/8 capscrews for center pins for ease of tightening and the like. I will have to see what they want to press out bushings then I wont have to dick with the sleeves either.

Ira

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i think i only paid like .80 a pop for my center pins. they got me on the u bolts though. i bought a set for my rear 10 bolt, then bought a 14ff, and had to buy another set. oh well.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use an air chisel with a straight pointed bit, and drive it into the rubber part of the bushing alongside the outside of the steel-bushing sleeve. This causes the bushing sleeve to collapse. Once the steel-bushing sleeve collapses enough, I drive the steel-bushing sleeve out with the flat chisel bit. Once the steel-bushing sleeve is out, the rubber part of the bushing just about falls out.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Go to autosone and rent/borrow their balljoint remover tool. It looks like a big C clamp. Use it to ram the center bushing out the other side and then use a flat screwdriver to remove what is left of the bushing.

BTW I bought a 20.00 corded drill from Homedepot 4 years ago and it is still working.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Well I got the bushings out using a dull filet knife that was in the garage when I moved in:eek1: . That and a hammer with a bolt that fit inside the bushing sleeve. I also used some brake cleaner to burn and WD40 to lube between the sleeve and the rubber. It took my friend and I a couple of hours:doah: . I still gotta get the outer sleeve out and I do not have my saw here to cut them. I am gonna try to cut a wedge out and then collapse the sleeve on itself.

Ira