Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got stuck- steering wheel crooked??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Mar 17, 2005.

went for a rip today got crazy stuck in the snow now my steering wheel is off when im goin straight- do i need an alignment???

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

mines done that once or twice, usually if i go to full opposite lock, it will straighten out. Say its off to the left, crank it full right and it might fix it. I dont know the actual cause though.

2. you think that works? i mean today i wasent really reefin on the wheel or anything its just a lil off??

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ive never had mine realigned, or any ill effects from it, just crank it to lock then bring it back to center and its fine. All these trucks are a little different though.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I had a truck that did this and it was a broken leaf spring centering pin. My K20 also does it because of a loose steering box/damged frame. It could be several things, but likely not an alignment issue.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Its normal. Anytime you do somethin somewhat stressful on the steering it can tweak it a lil. hit a burm, get cross rutted. Just normal wear and tear. Usually a sign of worn parts.

Mine has done it...shoot my steering wheel is about 20* off CCL :D

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bent something??

You probably bent the tie rod slightly or the draglink at the sleeve,or a center bolt in the spring sheared as already suggested...I'd also take a good look at the "rag" joint where the steering box meets the colum,it might have gotten damaged...If you "wounded" a spring and it sags some,it will throw the alignment off too-
    -my trucks steering wheel is about 1/4 turn "off" of center when the weight of my plow flattens the front springs out,then returns to its normal straight ahead position when the plow is removed...I dont think any amount of turning the wheel back and forth will "correct" anything!...if the "straight ahead" position keeps changing,something is definatly loose or broken--the U-bolts or shackles might be loose or bent also....time to go crawl under it and do an autopsy on your truck..I wouldn't drive it until you find the problem--could be dangerous!.:crazy:

7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This happened in my k5 as well. Seems to still track right but the wheel is off a little. My bro's 94 3/4ton had the same problem but, the gears in the steering box jumped. All we had to do is reseat them and it was all good.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my stepdad went head on into a large snowbank pack a few winters ago in his 82 k-10 shorty, well it tweaked the steering to one side,

so whats he go and do, he yanks his steering wheel off and turns it a little and puts it back on...

i find that to be retarded,

but he did it,.,.

and that was it

nowadays the truck is stripped down to rolling chassis with just bare cab and rad support on it and the drivetrain in it, the rad support mounts are so junk that you can lift the support off the chassis even though the two mount bolts are intact,
    and i swear i can see the frame rails are tweaked more towards one side of truck than other, but i dont have a real way to check for that scientifically,

good luck

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check to see if your steering box bolts are loose. All it takes is for one or two to be just a little loose, and the steering wheel can go off center when torqued on.