Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got suspended today *UNEMPLOYED*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Dec 11, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:rolleyes:

Something stinks in a Boulder Safeway these days. My manager called me in to suposedly discuss my vacation time that I want to take in January.

Here's a note: this manager just transfered to our store and rumor has it that he likes sto "take-out" journeyman checkers (talk about lowering labor costs -$16 an hour to ring up groceries.)

Apparently I'm first on his list :mad:

Instead of talking to me about my vacation time he sits me down, locks the officde door and says "I want to talk to you about something that happened at a checkstand the other night, involving scratching"

Here's some backstory...I was at work on thursday night, the manager walked by my checkstand and at the next checkstand goes "oh my god"...turns out someone scratched "eddie sucks" into the checkstand. Obviously I did not do this, hell I wasn't even at that checkstand. I guess I was "close enough" :dunno:

Now back to the story...

Well I'm not an idiot, so I ask him if this was a disciplinary interview. He said yes, and I requested union representation. -There's no way I'm standing up to this "hitman" by myself.

The only problem is, my union rep can't get to the store until thursday, so until then I'm on unpaid suspension, AND he said "If you walk into my store between now and 8am thursday I will have you arrested for trespassing" :eek1::screwy::angry1:

So here I am, broke as it is, and apparently on the verge of getting fired from a good paying job (for a fulltime college student). So many thoughts are going through my head right now...If this guy is successful and gets me fired I won't be able to pay my tuition for the spring semester...drop out of school...be unemployed....end of life as I know it! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

-the only thing that really worries me is that he said he has a "witness" I have no idea who would set me up like this...but it's not like I can go back to the store to figure it out :doah:One thought is that he brought about 3-4 lower managers with him from his old store....maybe they set 'em up, and he knocks 'em down :thinking:

*Trying to have faith in my union rep*

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Won't do you any good now, but there could be potential lawsuit fodder here...

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

what a douce bag

why would you scratch stuff in a check stand, they have cameras you know.
    You are so busted, way to mess up a good job:rolleyes:

4. B_to_C

I forgot to mention...this manager's name is Eddie

5. B_to_C

And actually...no they don't have many camera's in our store. I'm not sure if that checkstand has a camera or not, but if it doesn't...that would make his "witness" the source of the accusation, and there would be no camera to prove me INNOCENT

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you did it, just fess up, telling the truth is better

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Defintly request video footage... they would no doubght have one on the check stand...If you really didnt do it fight this bastard and then watch your ass from now on...

Just saw theresa no cameras... that sucks...

8. B_to_C

:haha:

Well right about now I definitely agree with what was scratched on the checkstand. The worst part is I have to wait until thursday to see who this witness is

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

BOY does this sound familiar...i worked a Meijers years ago. its a grocerystore/ everything store. anyway the store directer(who was humping every cashier) called me into his office.he told me i was being fired for stealing????:eek1: " i want my union stuart." so i have to wait three days.i go back and we meet. "what did i steal?" he says a hasp lock.a HASP LOCK??? of all the cool stuff to take,they want to fire me for something i can't even use!"who said i stole it?"i ask. GUESS WHO??? my union stuart..WTF?i was not allowed in the store for a year.i found out what it was though. my friend at work and i were gonna join the military. they have to keep your job until you get back. so they figured fook that get rid of them.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I got fired from a K-Mart in High School for stealing a rear seat cover for my K5!.
    I admit it, I really did try to steal it. Manager caught me walking out the front door. Hahaha...
    "Hey....gotta a receipt for that?"
    "Umm..I threw it out" (I was employee of the month, a generally good guy to them, always worked more than I had to, they offered me manager training...so I thought I'd get by with my good name...haha..to bad for me)
    "So, which cash register did you buy it from" (it was shift change for cashiers).
    "Umm..the one in sporting goods?."
    "Ok, lets walk"
    Cracks open register :eek1: starts unraviling the receipt roll :yikes:
    "So, About what time did you buy it"

I don't know what motivated me to do that. I guess I was pissed I was only getting $3.50/hr (min. wage was $3.25)

Went to McDonald's the next day.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You won't want to work there any more. The only thing left from that store that's to your benefit is a settlement. Meanwhile, start looking.:D

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Tell him you demand a notarized statement from the "witness", or an official police report stating what happened signed by the witness. It may be enough to get them to back off. As well, bypass your store rep(those guys are a joke anyway), and get ahold of your union office with your concerns. Maybe one of the big boys will come to bat for you.

Regardless, it sounds like your days are numbered at that store. On that note, you'd be amazed at how much water a gas tank can hold........:whistle:

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats funny.:haha: hell if i stayed there i'd be retired with a pension three years ago.:mad: bastardsi work 1000 times harder now.with no pension.

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I've never been Union myself but since you asked for your rep to be present you'll have to wait.

Your manager did not give you a reason to dismiss you from the store in my opinion and could have easily let you work over the next few days. It sounds like he has it out for you. Either that or he hates Unions and union employees so much he's making it as hard as possible.

Start reviewing company & union regs, don't rely on the rep to keep you employed. Stand up for yourself when the time comes, for now you'll have to wait patiently because you put the ball in the manager's hands. If that store is losing money they'll find a way to cut the costs, no job is safe in today's job environment.

If you haven't contacted the rep to let him know what is happening I suggest you do so.

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Definetly demand to know whos the witness is. Dont let them back down and give you a line about there protection. Make it known you are gonna meet you acusser face to face.

16. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

that's a law, being able to face your accuser, and this is a form of court, if your job relies on it....

def. get a notarized and signed police report, that is vandalism and they need to file a report on it, otherwise they're sol, ya know, bologna on a paint job in the hot sun, eats paint, and qtips and brake fluid leave no trace of what you write until the car is washed... fish plastic tied to a muffler...

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Read this again. Then do it. I would also start looking for another job as long as you have couple of days off anyway. Might be a blessing in disguise.

18. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

WTF???? What the heck is in this beer I'm drinkin?

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Definetly send out resumes and go out looking just in case. Its better to be prepared for the worst!

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My idiot grocery store manager story..

I used to work for Finast ( now TOPS ) in their produce department back in 1987.. I unloaded 4 trailers a day of produce, plus I had to date & rotate the cooler.. anyways, we had a store manager that didn't like me one bit, and we banged heads a lot....

he stopped me one day, and said "tom, I want to talk to you about you always unplugging the time clock for the deli department " I said " what are you talking about? "

he says " I have a witness that saw you unplug the timeclock, and that's cause for dismissal".. I asked him who the witness was, and he said it was one of the deli girls..

now, I knew he was full of crap, 'cause the deli girls were my ladies, if you know what I'm saying.. so I asked him, " how or why would I unplug the timeclock, when I don't have a reason to go near the thing, and what would I accomplish by unplugging it? "?

he walks me over to it, and said that I always rip the plug out of the wall, when I'm bringing pallets of produce through their area from the loading dock, on the way to my cooler, because I go too fast and the boxes scrape the wall.

so, I'm staring at where the clock is, where it plugs in, and it's relation to where I pass through with my stuff.. then I said ", mr. saggio, if I'm scraping the plug out of the wall with my pallets as I go by, wouldn't I also be taking the clock off the wall, and plowing into the other wall that sticks out at a 90 degree angle just a mere 6 inches from said timeclock?" seems I'd make a bigger mess and do more damage than just take a plug out of a socket"..

he just stood there, turned VERY red, and walked away..

no union rep could ever argue as good as I could.

when I quit, I told him, " jim, I just wanted to say that today is my last day".. he says, "well tom, we didn't always see eye to eye, but you were a hard worker, so we'll miss you".. I said, "y'know, it's funny you say that now, because you were always a real a$$hole to me, and I didn't appreciate it".. before I could say anything else, he yelled to my supervisor, " get tommy out of here - he's getting rambunctious, and I want him out of this store" then he ran into his office and locked the door..

they still tell that story to the new produce guys.

Tom