Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got Terminated

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just got back from Terminator. I got Terminated.

It was a really good run till the very end. Mike, Matt, Eli, and myself drove with Shane, Andrew, and andrew uncle. It was a little sketchy at first, since it looked like the weather wasn't going to cooperate. It finally did.

We ran the trail pretty well. A few hitches but no big deals till the end. Eli got off line in the White line and had to be extracted (no biggy). Matt, Eli, and myself ran Zturn and I had a little power steering issue. Put some fluid in and all good. Ran Zturn about as well as it can be run. Ran the whole rest of the trail very well until the last climb out.

Eli and Mike made it up. Mike needed to bump it a little bit but got up. I got in and got in a spot apparently and tried to bump it. BAD IDEA. 14bff smacked a rock, front tires hit a ledge as I bumped it (apparently to hard) and the whole truck went 3 feet in the air I am told.

Came down and BANG...... I initially thought driveshaft. Then I heard the dreaded word FIRE. I jumped out and put it out. I grenaded the rear shaft at the slip yoke. No biggy pop in spare shaft. WRONG. Upon further inspection I DESTROYED the 208. The whole tail housing was broken off and I had NO gear at all. Not even front driveshaft. I couldn't get up the hill because of the rear shaft hanging so I had to be winched down part way to get the shaft out. Then I had to be winched up the hill which was no easy task and it too stacking and some major power from Mike's Warn to get me up. It was a good night that got bad at the end. With everyone's help I finally got out of Terminator and back to the road were I was towed to the parking lot by Mike. Matt took over for the homeward bound duty even though he was having a miss in the motor.

I am greatly indebted to everyone out there tonight but I especially thank Matt and Mike. They towed my broke ass out of a nasty spot. I thank everyone else to for the help they did. I was totally at there merchy and you all came threw for me. I really appreciate it everyone.

Harley

2. Hossbaby50

P.S. there are lots of carnage pics that will be coming soon, and I mean some serious carnage.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Ouch... I guess you got the truck home 'eh?

I got lotta 208 parts.

Marv

4. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That had to hurt. At least 208s are cheap and easy to rebuild.

5. Hossbaby50

Just took apart everything that I broke (that I know of)

Updated carnage list:

Rear Driveshaft is distroyed
    Transfer case is trashed
    Both halfs of the case are cracked and broken
    Mainshaft in 208 is bent
    Rear yoke on Dshaft blew and ear off
    Custom 4x4 Iron crossmember is pretty beat. Bent and broken (can be fixed)
    Frame rails are bending where crossmember attaches (started prior to this run though)

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Pics will be coming soon

Maybe more later

Harley

6. Hossbaby50

After further inspection and reading into the breakage and problems this is the scenario that I have figured out.

The Tcase is trashed because the driveshaft bottomed out when I came down from the bounce. When it bottomed out it pushed the ass end of the tcase straight up bending the mainshaft and ripping the case open.

So now I know I will need some good bumpstops. If I would have had bumpstops I would have just had to replace the driveshaft and driven home.

I guess this is all part of the learning curve of semihardcore offroading. I didn't honestly even think I would need bumpstops in the rear because I am running 4-5" of lift with stock length driveshafts. Apparently I was wrong, really wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Harley

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Harley , I have all the internals except the shift forks are bad . I do not have the 27 spline input shaft , its in my truck . Between Marvs parts and mine you can have it fixed asap . Call me if you need any of my original case . Good mainshaft , planetaries , output shaft , case and tailhousing . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Jays Beast

Hey Harley, I made some bumpstop plates this week as part of getting truck ready for the trail. Here is a link to the photos bumpstop plates . Not to sure how well they work yet under heavy load but going over the speed humps down the street worked good. Don't get a harsh landing as when the shocks have bottom out /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

9. Hossbaby50

where exactly did you get your bumpstops? How much? I need to do something for sure.

That plate really limits your uptravel doesn't it? Just wondering.

Harley

10. Jays Beast

Got the stops from a member awhile back, this is were I got my engine poly mount Performance Suspension They were cheaper than anyone else in Phx. area. Not sure on the upward travel yet cause the stops have cut opening they will compress quit a bit under load. Going to do a trail run this evening and see how much they compress. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. FWP

FWP CRS

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Dude /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.... You had an interesting time, sorry to hear about the breakage, but better to find out now close to home, than REALLY far away...

Anyway, there's lot's of help for you here, us AZ boys help each other out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have some 208 stuff laying around as well. Hang in there man, It goes along like this for awhile... And then gets worse /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Harley,

OUCH, sorry to hear about it... That sucks, been there and done that, not on Terminator, but on Raw Deal, the last out. It's spanked me many of time, let's see here is the list:
    1. TH350 Transmission, broke ears off
    2. 1 Rear Drive Shaft
    3. A complete set of axles, both rears and both fronts, that's 4 axles.
    4. Lot's of body work.
    5. at least 3 tires up there.

Table Mesa will spank you, but just think how much closer you are getting to Amigo Status, and yes breakage goes towards acheiving final status.

Let me know if you need any help with anything, I will be glad to help out. Don't have any 208 stuff, never used one.

Hang in there, like Fred say, it only get's worse! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

13. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the carnage /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, but it sounds like you couldnt ask for a better group to cover your back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats what I like about this group /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    BTW are you gonna go 208 again for the gearing or upgrade to 205 for strenght? I know a guy who had a 205 for $80 last month. It was a 27 spline version and he had the adapter for a little extra.

14. Hossbaby50

Pics of the Carnage

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13964&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=1[/image]

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13962&password=0&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1[/image]

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13961&password=0&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1[/image]

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13960&password=0&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1[/image]

Harley

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

We met a TM near 9pm, I got home a bit after 5am.

Ya it was eventful to say the least. Clean run up to the exit. I smacked that Z-turn w/o a spotter no hangups or nothin. I did manage to tear a t-case x-member bolt through the frame. (stupid spacers /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) Oh well I will just plate it, weld it, try to break it again /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. I sure did have a blast though. To bad for your rig harley. Just add it to the to-do list /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Got my miss fixed -> shot spark plug. This motor burns so much oil I am thinking of converting to friggin' glow plugs /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    That plate really limits your uptravel doesn't it? Just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was behind Jay last night on fr42 after work , sure did not hinder his flex at all , that truck was a beast last night . A little uptravel removed sure , but I couldn't tell /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fixed the pic's for ya dude...sucks!

I'd upgrade to a 205 with fixed yoke.

Rene

18. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Harley,

Are you sure the trannys ok?

You know.... it may be kinda good that you had a 208!... If you'da had an iron case, it woulda trashed the tranny for sure.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Marv

19. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Damn, that looks semi-simlar to my case, except I broke my case in half. Front driveshaft u-joint broke at the pinion and I didnt feel like pulling the shaft out so I bungee corded it up(stupid idea). Well it fell out and when I was going over some rail road tracks the driveshaft fell out and hit the ground and broke the case, front driveshaft, tweaked the frame and cross member. I dont think my trans got hurt. But I finally found out what was making the horrible noise in my t-case. It was the low range shift fork.

20. Hossbaby50

I am not sure 100% that the trans is ok we will see. I checked it out today and I can't see any cracks in the case and the output shaft spins when you put it in gear. I hope the trans isn't trash otherwise it will be a long downtime since I am not going to spend another $1600 on a 700R4. Mine is still under warranty so if it failed internally I might be able to get it fixed under warrranty. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I will find out as soon as I piece together a new tcase and get my truck driveable again. Even if it does do ok I won't be wheeling again till I can get a new driveshaft, crossmember reinforced, and bumpstops.

Harley