Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the 454 in the Chevelle and started....UPDATE PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MOABDADC22, Apr 14, 2003.

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

well, I got the 454 in the 71 Chevelle today. I started it and Oh my God does it sound mean!!! It barely idles (way radical cam) and chirps the tires when you put in in drive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It sounds like this (without the blower whine)!!

Only thing is.......there is a loud high pitched squeal coming from the motor???

I took off all the belts, with no change in the noise. It almost sounds like the starter is sticking. Would shimming the starter help???

It has about 60psi of oil pressure. I took off both valve covers and both sides are getting plenty of oil. All bearings, cam, rings are all new. Flexplate (new SCAT) does not appear to be rubbing anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Got the 454 in the Chevelle and started....NEED HELP NOW!!!

It's not a vacuum leak kinda sound is it? If not then I'd look into shimming the starter. For those of you who say " It's a chevy you don't need to shim them"...you may want to ask Jeff-MuddyTazz about chevy blocks and starters /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Jeremy

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

is the timing chain maybe contacting the cover.? Or the little piece of sheet metal inspection cover rubbing the flexplate/flywheel?

John

4. MOABDADC22

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not a vacuum leak kinda sound is it?

[/ QUOTE ] Actually it does sound like a very high pitched vacuum leak. I took the carb off to make sure it was sealing and it was sealed good. All vacuum lines are sealed and/or capped off.

The flexplate inspection cover is not on the transmission yet. I do not think the timing chain ir rubbing. It did not rub when it was on the engine stand. I guess I can pull the cover and check that.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

DO you have a pipe that you can use to listen around the block and maybe isolate the area a little better? I'm guessing the sound doesn't change in gear except to follow rpm?

6. MOABDADC22

Well after scratching my head for a few minutes, I started spraying carb cleaner around the intake and carb. The sound was still there, but the engine stumbled when I sprayed the carb. I tore the carb off and found that the carb base gasket was sealing, but it was the wrong gasket for the intake.

I bought a factory Chevrolet hi-rise manifold (Off a 425hp 427 BBC GM#3883948 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) awhile back and it uses a different base gasket.

After changing the gasket, the Chevelle runs darn good now!!!

A big thatnks to those that replied. You guys made me think of things that I did not think of last night. It is always good to get an "outsiders" view and opinion on things. THANKS AGAIN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

P.S. My buddy runs the local speed shop and he has a dyno. I will make a few pulls on the dyno and let you guys know the numbers. I am guessing about 410hp at the rear wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    What pistons, heads (ported?) and cam did you go with on that 454?

I'm interested to see what it pulls on the chassis dyno. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif When do you plan to do that in a few weeks after about 500 miles?

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    P.S. My buddy runs the local speed shop and he has a dyno

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know there was a chassis dyno in Cheyenne! Where is that at? I have a buddy who has been dying to dyno his Mopar, but didn't want to drive to Denver to get it done. Dynos are /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. MOABDADC22

I will go dig out all the specs for the cam, but the pistons are Wiseco forged .040 in. over, 4.000 in. stroke, 6.135 in. rod, 47cc dome. And the heads GM part#3964291 2.06/1.72, 108 CC Chambers 325cc Intake Ports that were ported, polished and gasket matched.

Don Nath at Outlaw Performance has a dyno. He and I grew up together and even did a little bit of sanctioned drag racing in high school /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif. Outlaw Performance caters more to Mustangs, but he lets me use the dyno. Unfortunately, Don had to close his shop because there is not much of a market for a speed shop around here. He plans on opening his shop again soon. It pays to know the owner though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What compression ratio does that come out to?

My BBC baseline dyno put down 415rwhp @ 6,800 & 425rwftlbs @ 3500.
    Not bad. I want to play around with tuning it and should get 450rwhp. It's just money for dyno time.

hehehe, someone told me about the fee you have to pay if you blow up your engine on the dyno... something like $600 because it's a hazardous mess...then they have to clean the oil off the rollers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Dynos are cool... My truck went on one that just measured wheel speed when I had the conversion box built to get the speedo corrected. 38" Swampers on a dyno are LOUD! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have a video of late model Supra twin turbo doing a 900+ HP dyno pull if anyone is interested. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font>

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    GM part#3964291 2.06/1.72,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why such small valves? a good set of LS6 heads with 2.19's and 1.88's would liven her up a bit more /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. MOABDADC22

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice. What compression ratio does that come out to?

[/ QUOTE ] Approximately 10.5:1 I wanted to keep it streetable so I spoke to the tech guys at Wiseco and decided to go with the 47cc domed pistons.

[ QUOTE ]
    My BBC baseline dyno put down 415rwhp @ 6,800 &amp; 425rwftlbs @ 3500.

[/ QUOTE ] According to my research, mine should be slightly less than that.

Ben427, I had the 291's and decided it was more cost efficient to use the 291's. Us cops do not get paid that great.

291's were used on LS-6's (L-71, L-72, L-78). GM#3946074 were the "large" aluminum heads used on LS-6's (L-88, ZL-1) with 2.19/1.88