Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got the 60 and 14bff together and.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 58 apache, Jan 14, 2007.

1. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

so i brought the 60 home yesterday and today i was checkin that and my 14bff out and noticed they have different wms to wms measurements the 14bff is like 3" shorter than the 60 is this normal? the 14bff still has drums. 60 is out of an 85 military supposidly. thanks eric

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yes, it is normal for the front to be wider. helps the steering return to center i believe.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Normal.

4. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

thanks....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

looking good man, 4.56's? Detroit? Are those teflon rims?

6. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

4.56 limited slip front. soon locker in rear (lookin for 1) no teflon. they are pro comp extreme alloys series 7089 powdercoated. $120 ea 37x13.5 mt baja claw radials. thanks! let the headache begin.....

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think that it's like that so it will have better turning manners- tighter turning radius specifically.

8. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Those are gonna look purdy on the 58!!

9. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

now i just wish i knew how to do it. i hope everyones ready for a ton of posts... collectin suspension stuff now. will i need new driveshafts doing a 6" all spring tuff country lift? how do i adapt to the yokes of the 60 and 14bff? im running a 208

10. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

sweet stuff man

where did you get your dual steering stabilizers? have a part #? thanks.

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you will not need a new front shaft. the u-joints are all the same and the 60 yoke is closer to the t-case then a 10 so the length should work out fine.

for the 14 bolt you have 2 options. either run a conversion joint in you existing shaft or have a 1350 yoke welded onto you existing shaft. again the height should work fine since you probably are not going to do extreme wheeling with this truck

I will encourage you to not put 6" springs in the back. it will ride terrible. think about a 2.5 or 4 inch shackle flip. then make up the rest in springs, or a zero rate, or shackles. the least amount of arch is going to give you a better ride.

I would shoot for a 2.5 flip with 6" shackles, a 2-3" spring and a zero rate.

12. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

are there any draw backs to doing a shackle flip on pretty much a street truck. this thing has a monster engine!! will a shackle flip effect axle wrap? im even more unsure how to do this? will pinion angle be an issue with a shackle flip? im even more unsure of how to do that. anyone wanna volunteer to help? LOL. oh i dont have a part# for the dual steering stabilizer. it came on the 60. ill look closer tomorow and get back to you. scored the 60 complete, richmond gears lim slip, all rebuilt 1000 (street) miles ago. scored it local $800:saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you can get a local driveline shop to change the joint on your rear shaft, that is no biggie and shouldn't cost toooo much.

IMO this would be the perfect time to swap to a different t-case though. Slip yokes = the devil. I'd either put a 241 (with SYE installed) in there or a 205. Just my opinion... but if you're gonna go 1-ton and "get it" with this truck, might as well get rid of the one piece of your drivetrain that isn't really considered optimal for real 4x4 use.

j

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the flip will help or hurt your pinion angle depending on how high you go and how far back you axle is from the t-case. I believe you said somewhere that the truck is on a blazer frame. if thats true then I stand behind my suggestion to go with a 2.5" flip. I will be taking mine off soon and inboarding my springs so I will have one if you want.

as for the 208. again are you really going to wheel this truck. I wouldn't. the 208 will be fine.

I'll volunteer to help. need pics of something. I have plenty of torque and the flip didn't add any axle wrap.

15. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

still gathering parts. gonna maby get some ck5r's to help. not really gonna wheel so i think the 208 will do. if you wanna help ill keep u posted about when. i would say maby mid feb. muddybuddy is going to help and one of his friends. free food and beer and a spot to crash oh and a little gas money. yes its on a k5 frame extended about 17". pm me if you want detailed pics. still leaning twords springs in the rear.putting a 1/4" steel plate in the bed so i think the weight will help the ride. i already scored a set of new tuff country soft rides for next to nuthin i hate to not use them

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dunno about other peeps, but my pinion angle was better with a shackle flip (4") then it was with 4" blocks... even though the blocks were tapered a bit (rancho blocks, chepo lift kit).

j

17. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

i see there is another thread goin now about pinion angles i hope he gets some posts cause i really dont get it. can someone direct we to a thread that explaines this and how to set it?

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Another option is to loose mount it all together with the stuff you have, measure the angle and if its wrong cut off the perches and correct it.

Don't you have to replace them anyway? (1-ton axles have a different perch spacing)

19. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

yes i have to move the perches. i would like to locate them correctly.i just dont understand the pinion angle and how to measure it what its supposed to be and how to correct it. is there a tech article on pinion angle ? ive searched but no luck. help

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner