Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got the 89 on the road, and took it off!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Sep 26, 2004.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I finally got the 89 driveable. so for it's first trip down the road, I drove it for an Hr and 1/4 to camp, then let it rest over night went and did some "light" wheeling with it, then moved my 24' camper 22 miles to my new campground, then drove it home...without any problems! Got lots of strange looks running it without doors and the cap, but it felt great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

How well are the relocated mirrors working for you? I was thinking about doing something like this [​IMG]
    and while sitting in my truck it didn't look like it would afford a very good view? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Holy Crap It MOVES!
    Good to see you finally got it moving, how'd you like the exhaust system on the ride to camp?

Keep up the good work man.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How well are the relocated mirrors working for you? I was thinking about doing something like this [​IMG]
    and while sitting in my truck it didn't look like it would afford a very good view? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The rocks are gonna love those side pipes.

Can you drive on road in a K5 there without doors? Here you'd get ticketed so fast your head would spin.

Although I can't talk much after 4 years my '79 isn't on or off road /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I've already had a conversation about the side pipes. I think they won't go past the drawing. I know the rocks will gnaw at them, but they look so b!tch-tastic that I had to put them on.
    And AFAIK you can run without doors, they don't ticket the HEEPS around here. I think the only reason you would get a ticket is because of not having mirrors. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

It always feels good to get a truck up and running again. Especially when it works right toO!

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Come one...that is not your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The mirrors work ok, The passsenger side it partially blocked by the fender because of the position, but still retain 90% of the view. Good enough for me. As far as how legal it is to run without doors? it's not legal, but they don't seem to know it! I actually got pulled over on my way to camp, but that was only because of the temporary Inspection sticker in the window, The cop NVER even asked about the doors! just checked my papers to make sure I was all "legal" and let me go.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've already had a conversation about the side pipes. I think they won't go past the drawing. I know the rocks will gnaw at them, but they look so b!tch-tastic that I had to put them on.
    And AFAIK you can run without doors, they don't ticket the HEEPS around here. I think the only reason you would get a ticket is because of not having mirrors. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeeps were designed to run without doors so it's legal for them. The cops here definatly know a K5 from a jeep. Another reason I decided to go trail only and trailer my K5 everywhere.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

FWIW,

I've been daily driving my K5 since June with no doors, top, or mirrors, and nobody's said a thing!