Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the 93 running again!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by azblazor, Feb 16, 2005.

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Finally after sitting in the garage for several months I have returned the 93 6.5TD K2500 to the land of the driving. New DB4911 from Kennedy, new injectors from ebay and a pyrometer and a boost gauge. woo-who! :)

2. azblazor

OK, 1st mileage report. Back and forth to work today 20 MPG!! That's about 70 miles highway and 10 miles secondary. Driving 65 MPH (2000 rpm).

Also while it was down, I removed the intake tube from the front fender (better air flow), installed a 180 Robertshaw thermostat, and a turbo-master boost controller (manually adjustable). I haven't timed it yet but the marks are aligned dead on. This thing drives like a new truck. Good smoke on acceleration. Runs up to about 6 PSI boost accelerating up to highway speed. Cruising at 65 shows 2.8 psi boost and 400-450 deg F (pre-turbo).

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Sweet! Good work Mark:waytogo:

How much was the 4911 pump, if you don't mind me askin?

4. azblazor

It was like 900 plus I needed to return my DB4911 (or pay the 200 core). BTW the 93 has 134K miles on it now.

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

What is the boost at WOT? Just trying to see how it compares to my 6.2 with a Banks. Thanks.

6. azblazor

The highest I saw was 6 PSI acelerating pretty hard onto the highway. I do not have the adjustment set for maximum boost. I wanted to get a feel for at the bottom of the setting (less spring tension). I'll be playing with it after I get the timing set.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey Tyler, what's the max boost you got from yours? The most I could get was 10 psi. That was at about 500 ft elevation, and stompin it, at rev limit. I let off quick though, the EGTs got to 1100 quickly:grin:

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I hit 14 psi at WOT above 2500 rpm or so (no tach) and highest EGT I have seen was 1000 going up a steep grade, in OD, going 65. What vintage is the turbo on your rig? Mine is less than 2 years old, so I am wondering if Banks picked a different turbine housing somewhere along the way. From what I gather, most guys run about like what you say, 10 psi or so, but from the sound of it have much better response than my turbo provides. At 65 in OD my EGT is around 550-600 by the way.

9. FWP

FWP CRS

From the paperwork that I have, the turbo was installed in 2000 by a previous owner (the guy Mark bought it from).

As long as were comparing, here's what mine does: (keep in mind, I'm at 5000 ft elevation)

I can make the EGTs go past 1100 if I wanted to, not sure how high it would go, I don't want to find out. On a steep grade with no load, it's about 60 MPH max, with the EGTs at 1050. Flat driving no load, runs about 800 F EGT.

Towings a different story- grades are really slow, to keep the EGT down. Sometimes on a long 6-7% grade, I'll be in first gear at 2800 rpms, 20 MPH:frown1:

Maybe the pump was turned up too much, I'm not sure, I haven't had much time to fool with it.