Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the blazer back today & the BILL

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kwcdawgfan, May 15, 2001.

1. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Some of you may remember I had a grinding noise under my front end which some of the CK5s diagnosed as the spider gears... Well I can do the basics in repair but this was above my head so I took it to my mechanic... Well the spider gears were bad but the rest of it was pretty shot plus one of my ball joints was toast oh and my hose to my gas tank was dry rotted and leaking... If any of you need to have this done Ive posted what I was charged and the parts... Some of those ford guys make fun of chevys but Im the third owner and I know both owners and neither had any work done to the axles and my blazer is a 73 plus full time 4x4... So thats not too bad...

1 gasket 7.85
    2 washers 8.00
    2 axle gears 81.40
    2 washers 9.80
    2 spider gears 38.00
    1 shaft 15.95
    1 pin 4.25
    1 upper ball joint 43.18
    1 lower ball joint 44.12
    2 needle bearings 26.56
    2 outer dust seals 20.36
    2 side carrier bearings & races 83.12
    2 inner seals 31.46
    1 gas hose 14.71
    Oil, Grease 19.00

Labor 520.00

TOTAL 968.76 can you say ouch... Seems like the ole k5 knows when my irs refund check comes in every year...

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

that sucks i had sort of the same problem with my rear end( the axls actually almost broke out on the highway, and my brother almot was killed) the bill was a little less though.

[​IMG]

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeeeouch!!!, at least ya know you probably have another 30yrs. to go though.

[​IMG]<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Refund?? The IRS can give a refund? Sorry to hear about this, but look on the bright side, you won't have to worry about this for a while.

5. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

Remember at least the truck is safe and fixed. About eight years ago I had a grinding noise coming from the rear axle on my 70 Chevelle SS. I didn't have the money or know how at the time to fix it so I just drove, not knowing what it was. With a 427 big block and a High School IQ I broke the rear wide open at about 60 MPH. The center pin snaped and I lost both axles. All I heard was a snap and then the back of the car just dropped and sparkes started to fly. I managed to slide off the road and both axle/wheel/tire combos rolled past the car missing traffic, one hit a house. No one was hurt but I needed a new complete differental , brakes, shocks and every think els that was ground off. It would of saved me money to just fix and not risked my life. Now I know, sorry for the bill.

6. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

If I was you I would havw just swaped out the axles for a 14 bolt 3/4 ton set up. For what you paid for your axles to get fixed you could have had the 3/4 ton set up. It cost me 500.00. And I will have a stronger rear end and gears up front to match. But thats just me. Later LittleJimmy....

7. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

HELLO!!!

"K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I always say "You got to pay to play".

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>