Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the Echobit shackle flip - but is my rear end still too low?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 5, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I got the Echobit shackle flip on. It is supposed to be something like 5 3/4" lift. I removed my 4" lift blocks at the same time.
    Here's a pic:

Pic of shackle - 65k

Looks good and certainly raises it up more to level.
    But as I stood there looking at it, it still looks a LITTLE low in the rear...or does it?
    I have to get some axle shims to bring the pinion down a little, so that should add like maybe 5/8" rear lift.
    What do you think, am I imagining it being low?

pic of truck - 20k

another pic of truck - 20k

-- Mike

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

looks level to me, does your driveway have a slant at all, making it look lower in the back to you?

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my driveway does have a slant. I need to park it on the street and look at it then.
    I blame it on being tired after working on the truck almost all day. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks.
    -- Mike

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Looks good to me, let us know how it works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

It looks level to me but then what the hell do I know. I would run it around the block them park it some where flat then see what it looks like.

Eric

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you follow the body lines, the front wheel well and rear well are not equal, the rear well opening sits lower on the body line and can give the illusion of sitting lower, even if the rear is higher. It looks like it worked out well and sits level. Your shims will raise you another 1/2". As Highlander said, give it a run around the block and flex it up a little, then park it. It most likely wont sit any different since your using greasable bushings all around! It didnt' take all day to install them, did it?

By the way, that things a monster! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Can't wait to see pics of it in action.. nearly as long as a burb!

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It most likely wont sit any different since your using greasable bushings all around! It didnt' take all day to install them, did it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, sorry, i guess that was kind of misleading. It probably took 1 1/2 hours to install the flip and remove the old blocks.
    I spent all day working on the truck, however, doing other things and making runs to the hardware store etc.

I think with the shim installed it will raise it up just slightly and will sit just about perfectly with just a slight rake.

-- Mike

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i gatta ask sorry..but what are shims and what do they do? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Shims are like short lift blocks, but with an angle milled onto the top of them.
    When installed between the axle and the leaf spring, they would logically cause the pinion angle to decrease (or increase depending on which way you installed them.
    They are used to crrect driveshaft angles.
    Here's a pic of a shim with an 8 degree angle to it.

-- Mike

10. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

just use a tape measure and measure the top of the wheel well to the ground on the front and back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

that way your slanted drive way wont play tricks on your eyes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Thats a good shackel flip idea. It seams alot easier and more economical then cutting the rivits and installing a new shackel bracket. Where did you get that one? Does it put too much stress on the original shackel bracket?
    How much total lift do you have on the truck? Looks to be more then 4"

12. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

it looks absolutly awesome. and the site says it gives you 5"s +. heres the link: shackel flip

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think it's a great idea.
    It's made by Echobit - someone on this post made a clicky for it.
    I don't think it puts excess stress in any way. Included is a 3" steel spacer that goes where your shackle went originally. WHen you torque the bolt down, it crimps the space in place and is very rigid.
    The shackle flip in and of itself is 5 3/4" lift.
    On my truck I have approx. 7" susp. lift front and rear.
    -- Mike