Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the headers installed on the big block finally

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, May 8, 2003.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Finally got the headers installed. These are the Dynomax Cermacoated headers for a 67-87 BBC 2wd. Did take some work to get them to fit, but should be worth it. Can't imagine doing that work if I didn't have the cab and front clip pulled. That is making doing this swap so much easier!

Cab is over at a friends getting some rust repair done and I might get it back this weekend. Then I get to learn body and paint. Should be fun. And to think this all started with just wanting a 4 speed. Then the engine came along, then rust repair, now paint /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    [​IMG]

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looking good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Side note:

What brand of wire looms did you use on that? Where'd you get em?

4. Yukon Jack

Moroso - ordered from Jegs. Part # 710-72168 $13.00 red or blue.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What clearance issues did you have? Spring shackle bolts?

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Look's Very nice! I fit mine in the truck, under the truck, through the truck. Time well spent though. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's sweet!

Hmmmmmmm I bet that would pep my burb up some. Do they have a O2 Bung?
    Man those valve covers look great also.

8. Yukon Jack

The engine is sitting in the small block engine crossmember using the original small block style engine mounts. I did move the crossmember forward about 3/8" or so to give me better oil pan clearance and header clearance for the first header tube on the passenger side.

To make these headers fit I did not have to make any modifications to the driver's side other than I did have to go with a shorter oil filter as this engine has an oil cooler setup which put the larger oil filter in contact with the headers.

On the passenger side I had to remove a little bit of frame to give clearance for the first and second header tubes. I would guess I removed about 1/4". I also ended up grinding off a little bit of the engine crossmember tower as it was in contact with the bottom of the first header tube. In the end I had to use some spacers that I put between the engine and the engine mount bolts to raise the engine a bit on the passenger side and I also raised the drivers side by using spacers about half as big.

The above modifications have me comfortable with the clearance around the oil pan and passenger side headers.

I posted alot more pics over at http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=51974 if you want to see how they sit in the frame.

The headers don't have an O2 bung.