Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the King's and 63 Swap Done!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Apr 14, 2005.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well I got it done, so far it works very well, and it rides very nice. I just need my new rear shaft to get here and mount some bump stops and I will be ready to go out and test it.

I ended up having to move the front mount forward around 4", this pushed it into the body mount. I drove the rivets out of the body mount and cut the remaining tab off with the plasma and moved the front hanger into the correct position. I ended up welding the front hanger on and welded the body mount to the hanger to substitute for the missing rivets.

For the rear I had to move the hanger back about 4.5". This gave me a very nice shackle angle with the springs. I originally had a home made flip on there with the long shackles and it sat like a stink bug which is no good for a truck that does lots of high speed stuff like mine. So I ordered the 2.5" flip from ORD and got the shackle up closer to the frame and ended up with a better shackle angle. But the only problems I have noticed is that either the shackle is too long, or these springs dont have enough free-arc to them, meaning that at rest there isnt enough arc in them to suffiecently drop the shackle. So in the future I will be looking at purchasing some Deavers for the back. The springs I used were springs off a new body style 2500HD with the over load removed. I was afraid to go with 1/2 springs because my K5 is still full bodied.

For the shocks I used 1.75" tubing welded to the frame for the hoops, and I used King 2.5" Diameter 16" Travel Kings. The shocks are setup perfect from King and I dont think I will change a thing about them. The hoops tie into my bumper supports in the back and in the front I fish plated the frame and welded the hoops to a piece of tubing that was parellel to the hoops. It looks like everything will work ok.

So that sums it up, I ended up with the axle moved back a bit, and my wheelbase is now around 110" which seems like it will work very well for all the terrain I wheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More Pictures in this Album

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Very nice :waytogo:

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Wow, you should take some more pics of the truck all round. Looks very nice.

4. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

:thumb: :waytogo: :waytogo:

5. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Do you have any plans to seal the holes in the bed to keep exhaust fumes out? Maybe a rubber boot or something. I am planning on using a similar set up, and the problem of keeping exhaust from entering the cab kinda concerns me. Thanks.

Craig

6. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The holes are gonna get sealed some how, Its not my daily driver anymore so im not too concerned about it at the moment seeing as how the top and doors are coming off tomorrow, but yeah, im going to fix the floor as best as possible and run some sort of rubber boot there.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Manual trans shifter boots from the j/y work good for the shock holes. The hoops arn't going to move as much so you might get away with just some weather stripping.

Edit:
    You also need to close back up those spring clamps unless you want to be like chris breaking the main leaf every other run.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Yeah I know about the spring clamps, I was contemplating pulling a leaf out of the back so I had the clamps spread, but they will be getting put back in correctly tomorrow probably.