Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the M1008 today...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by thatK30guy, Mar 10, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...and want to know if anybody needs/wants 6.2 diesel parts?

I have a complete motor that was laying in the bed. I have absolutely no clue what is wrong with it.

I have other stuff like the radiator, shroud, exhaust (new!), and anything else that is diesel that I will not need anymore.

I'm doing a 454 swap, so let me know if anything is of interest to you and we can work out the deal or trades.

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

If that engine is a "J" engine, I'd be interested in the intake and maybe the heads. Let me know how much you would want for the intake alone, and the heads alone. I may go for just the intake if no one else has spoken for it.

3. thatK30guy

Me being a "gas man", I need help on identifying the "J" engine. Where can I find the symbol and on what?

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

how much for the radiator and exhaust?

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, Yes, ALL CUCVs had "J" motors (no EGR). K30 doesn't know, He's afraid of it 'cause it runs without sparkplugs.

I,m praying to the pagan god Rudolph (Diesel) right now, K30, and boy is he PISSED! That 1008 it'll be cursed, coun't on it. Will walk up the first tree it finds with a rat under the hood.

6. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Yeah, no kidding! Converting a diesel to gas is just... wrong. In every sense of the word! ;-)

I should have known it would have been a J engine too. I don't know, I must have not been thinking when I made that post.

Anyways, how much for the intake? :-)

(hopes the K5 will pass emissions with a J-intake. They don't check for EGR, do they? :-))

7. thatK30guy

Maybe I should just throw an inline 6 under it instead!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Nah, seriously, for the type of driving and playing I've got planned for this truck, the 454 foots the bill, hands down. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously, again, I have absolutely no clue what diesel parts are worth. I can't even imagine what to ask for the parts. I want to hear offers and then I can see what happens from there. And no, I don't mean make some wise-ass, cheap-ass offer either. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Are you selling the accessories, brackets, and starter? I'm working on putting a 6.2 in my Land Cruiser FJ40 and am short on parts... What I REALLY need, though, is a flywheel.

6.2 stuff gets a pretty good price on e-bay, especially the fuel system parts, heads and intake manifold. About $50 for the j-code intake, $75 for heads, $175 for injection pump (with lines and injectors) seem to be in the ballpark. Plus shipping. Results may vary.

9. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Yup... I was looking around eBay, and saw a couple non-egr intakes going for around $25-50. The lower priced auctions weren't finished, though.

$50 for the intake sound good? I'm in Colorado, so I might just pick it up, if you're close enough, K30.

10. thatK30guy

Danno, I did some checking and you were right. $50 for the intake sounds about right. If you want it for that much, it's yours. Let me know for sure and I will get a shipping quote.

11. thatK30guy

I thought it over and looked at the exhaust some more and decided I may try to make the current exhaust work with the new 454 I will put in.

The radiator, however, I understand new ones go for pretty expensive and I'm willing to sell this one cheap because I have no clue what condition it's in. All the fins appear to be good and not smashed or bent in any place at all. There are two hard lines running across the radiator. It had tranny fluid seeping out of the hard line holes and the fluid was still in good condition, too.

I want to throw the shroud in with the radiator so I don't have to worry about it.

How's $100 for the radiator and shroud sound? Let me know and I will get a shipping quote. I will throw in one of the radiator hoses with the clamps still on it. I don't know if it's the top or bottom hose, but I do know it's brand new.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you want to cash in on parts, find a local diesel shop and ask them if they want to buy your injectors. Up here, the core charge is around $50 PER INJECTOR!!!!!

You should also plan on keeping the diesel rad to help cool that big 'ol 454 you plan on installing.

13. thatK30guy

I have some brackets and accessories, but need to look at it again to see exactly what all there is. I do have the starter. I also have the flywheel, too. The flywheel has surface rust on it, but nothing sand or glass blasting can take care of.

How's $25 for the flywheel sound? I forgot to mention all the teeth on the flywheel are still good and no chips, etc.

I have no clue what to ask for the brackets and accessories. Let me see what all I have and get back with you.

14. thatK30guy

Paul, does it make any difference on the radiator whether it's from a gas or diesel truck?

15. thatK30guy

I have the exhaust manifolds off this motor. No cracks on either one and the studs are still good. $50 for the pair.

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Not that I know of. The only difference is the overall size and amount of cooling rows. I *think* that the average gasser rad has two rows, wheras the diesel rads came with a 3-row core. The tanks are also bigger. Basically you get a bigger cooling surface and a higher capacity cooling system.

I know a couple of guys who have used diesel rads for extra cooling power when they swapped in a bigger motor.

17. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The light duty diesel radiators are three-core...the heavy duty, like K30 should have, are four-core. There is even room in between the tanks to install a five row core, if desired. Also, the overall size of the diesel radiators are much, much larger than small-block gassers. I'm not sure about big blocks.

The only real difference in the radiators would be the inlet and outlet locations for the radiator hoses. This is just a small problem, and if you don't have a rad for the 454, I'd just keep this one.

18. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

If you're not in a hurry to get rid of it, I'll wait until payday (this weekend) to give the OK. The old lady's not going to like me buying parts for the truck, but oh, well. Hehehehehe...

Zip code is 80501 if that helps with a shipping quote.

19. thatK30guy

Like arveetek said, the 454's have the 4 core radiators. I have had 4 other K30's all with BBC's and each one of them had the big 4 core.

Does anyone think this diesel radiator will cool better than the 4 core BBC radiator? Or should I just use the 4 core since I have one anyways.

20. thatK30guy

No problem Danno. No hurry here, just trying to get an idea for diesel prices as I have never messed with them before. I will check to see about the ship quote. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif