Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the motor pulled, Now I'm PISSED

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 55Willy, Feb 21, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Got the motor pulled, Now I\'m PISSED

The good news is I got the motor pulled out of the parts rig. It's a 78 3/4 ton suburban. We had our cherry picker loaned out so I was planning on using a chain hoist that hangs in out maple tree. But my dad called the guy and he said he would drop it back off for us today..he was here around 10:30 am. So prior to him dropping it off I had the whole thing ready to go, evrything was unhooked. just had to through on the chain and hoist it out. She was out in record time, even working by myself..I was able to hoist the motor up and push the suburban back..which isn't easy with a semi-flat tire and with it in gravel. But i got it out and lowered down........
    Now the darkerside...
    Well the motor has a 2 barrel on it which is weird cus a 78 never had a 2 bbl. as an option on 350s atleats not in a burban....key word" 350s"..as soon as I saw the casting numbers on the back of the block I was instantly pissed. it reads " 460776 " which wasn't a 350 number that stuck in my head..so I went to the shop and ran the numbers through our pocket junk yard number book( great for swapmeets) and it turns out this 3 ton turd has been moving with the power(or lack there of) of a 305!!!!!! now I know why it had a 2bbl on it[​IMG] the front numbers are " V1031 UTW " so I'm guessing it is out of a van or something. So can any of you check the number and see or know of a online link to may help.

BTW the compression test gave numbers of 140-160..and a sad part is I have to use it cus I don't have anything else to drop in the Willy[​IMG]

Thanks,
    1 pissed off Willy

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Re: Got the motor pulled, Now I\'m PISSED

<font color=blue> You should be able to find a good running 350 to drop in it instead of the 305 ....... I'd do that versus just dropping in the 305 ...... IMHO .

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Free is about allI can..okay Free is ALL I CAN afford right now. I was hoping to just bolt on a 4 bbl intake and carb and call it good. but since it uses some oil i was gonna swap heads..but since it is a 305 the heads are different. I could pull the motor out of the coupe...but my dad said no from day one on that idea,LOL.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You can still bolt the 4 barrel carb and intake on it.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I'd say stick the 305 in and run it until you can buy a 350. Hit all the swap meets you can. I bought a totally fresh rebuilt 350, standard bore, 4 bolt main, edelbrock timing gear set, intake etc. for $400. All it needed was heads, which I happended to have a set of aluminum bowtie stage II heads 2.02/1.60 with a fresh valve job that I picked up at the swap meet before that one. I'd just run what I had, then do the swap later.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Dieselmh>My crappy pics.</a>

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yeah I know, but with it burning some oil I was hoping to swap on my heads..maybe it's a sign form the Willy's god[​IMG]...maybe I should get an adapter and bolt a hurricane/ lightning back in it,LOL

<hr></blockquote>

7. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

It sounds just like my luck. I had put a 383 in my Suburban last May. In Oct. it started taking in water. Parked it until I could get more time. A guy at work had a truck that he wanted to get rid of, and said the "350" in it was a couple of years old. Buy the truck for $100. [​IMG] Pulled the engine out last week, and it is a 305. Heads are bad to boot. So I looked at the 350 that I pulled out to put the 383 in. It had a couple of broken rings, but everything is still standard. So now we are freshening it. Will have to do the post mortem on the 383 to find where the water was coming from.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thats what I'm leaning towards. Alteast I would be getting good gas mileage to Moab,LOL

<hr></blockquote>

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

So, what buring a little oil.. mosquito repellant. Slap that sucker in there until you get something else.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i tell you what for a 3 ton turd to only have a 305 in it with a 4 spd, that thing could move,LOL Everyone in our high school thought the thing was built! It had 4' glasspacks on it.[​IMG]

<hr></blockquote>

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'll do the 4bbl intake and carb for now..the headers and flowmasters will make it sound liek a "real" motor,LMAO..but someday I would liek to have the TPI option on there. I'v located one and know a guy with 2 complete set ups. or even TBI which I have also located.( same guy has all three, and the guy I bought the willy's from has the other TPI)

and why does my "e" liek to change places???

<hr></blockquote>

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I didn't know you were tight on money ................. Drop it in then and run it ............... If it was good enough for the burb it will power the Willy ! Later on get a 350 ............. I didn't mean to jump the gun on ya!

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had the opposite happen to me. I bought my Jimmy and was told it had a 350. I ran the VIN and found out it came with a 305 from the factory. I was all pissed off until I ran the numbers...found out someone had swapped in a 4 bolt main 350 from a one ton van...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Same thing happened to me. Good thing it was a rebuilt motor when I bought it. It had 3,000 miles on it. My friend spend $1,000 on the motor, wrecked the car, and was just tired of it. By the time it was all over, and I'd parted the car I'd bought from him, I had payed $100 for a motor with 3,000 miles on it. I was a little pissed but I didn't care that it was a 305. It was from a Camaro anyway, so it has the better 305 heads, flat top pistons, etc. It already had an Edelbrock Performer intake on it and a good carb, and I already had my header duals on my truck...so I slapped a cam in it, put a real timing set in it, some new gaskets because it always leaked and painted it Chevy orange. It's in my truck right now...DD 2000 says it makes more power than a Vortec 350.

I'm happy with it, but I still wish it was a 350. It has plenty of power though.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

16. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

hay I have a site you can look at this guy has the #s cranks blocks heads ect--scroll down to number decoding here is the link<a target="_blank" href=http://nastyz28.com>click</a>

1977 k5-blazer4"pro comp lift 3.5 in rear dana 44,12 bolt rear, 350 &amp;,205 t-case,465 trans,flotech headers and mufflers&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by mdm365 on 02/21/02 08:26 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by mdm365 on 02/21/02 11:25 PM.</FONT></P>

17. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Rene,
    If the engine you have now in the K5, is the one you're talking about, I'd say you' ve got a good one there. When you left the parking lot the last time we met, it sounded pretty good as you wound it up. Some people just live right, eh guy?

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

18. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Rene,
    If the engine you have now in the K5, is the one you're talking about, I'd say you' ve got a good one there. When you left the parking lot the last time we met, it sounded pretty good as you wound it up. Some people just live right, eh guy?

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i got a block you can have for a shock setup.
    i pay for shipping on the shocks and you pay on the motor.
    Grant

PS i can get you the numbers if you need. i got the heads too.
    just need all the internal parts.

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

That won't work but thanks for the offer. I can't take an engine block to the bank to pay my loan payment,LOL. Plus I have zero money to build a motor. So this running 305 will work til I blow it..[​IMG]

<hr></blockquote>