Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the MTRs mounted (pics added)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 20, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Well thanks for all of the input. All of the places around here wanted atleast $10 a tire cause they are 37s and discount qouted me $25 cause they were gonna put balance beads in:eek1: (which I already had purchased). So for the price of valve stems and a can of WD40 (about $12 total) I mounted all 5 in about 2 hours with the factory tire iron:D . That time includes bead seating and air up. I removed the valve cores and set them on a bucket and used my little MV-50 compressor. With the engine running and no valve core it took about 6 mins to seat the bead and air up to 30#. Only damage is a little scratched paint on the rim (gives it that authentic wheeled look for when I cruise the mall:haha: .) 11 inches of side wall on each side def helped along with the WD40 as bead lube.

Thanks again

Ira

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Lets see some pics. I am thinking of putting 37x15 MTR's on my K5. In fact I oredered the beadlocks today :pimp::D:pimp:

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Dont have them on the truck yet only mounted on the rims I can get pics tomorrow since it is dark here now. I mounted them on 15X8 wagon wheels that I spray painted flat black.

Ira

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Want to see them on, off, and width - whatever you can get.

I really like the 315/75R16 MTR's I have now as far as traction goes. I was not crazy about them being 34" tires tho. 37s required new wheels and I will be doing a bit of grinding on the calipers but there will be many payoffs with number 1 being cheaper tires.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

yeah post up some picture when you have a chance. And if you can get a messurement on how tall the messure on your rig 2 that would be great. I'm going to be needing new tires soon and not sure wether to get the 37" MTR's or 37" toyo mtr

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

yeah pics and specs I'm wanting to upgrade to 37's too:D

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I will get pics of them off the truck as well as measurments and a weight if need be. When Roz and I get my 1 tons in I will get measurements and pics with weight on them.

Ira​

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Mine measure pretty much spot on 36" on 15x8 wheels @ 28psi, that's brand new.

Here's a pic, because I like posting them.
    [​IMG]

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks man. looks great :D or those 15's or 17's?

10. FWP

FWP CRS

The exact same tires, literally :) Hope you have fun with them Ira...

[​IMG]

11. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

For future reference, don't use WD40 on rubber compounds-it tends to break them down prematurely. Your local auto parts store has a can of spray silicone that is much better suited to lubricating rubber products--grommets, tires, valve stems, etc... Also much more slippery than WD40.
    Jimbo

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Did not think of that I have a can of silicone lubricant in my cabinet as we speak:doah: .

Ira

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here are some pictures of the tires. They measure 36.5" actual height and 12 13/16" sidewall to sidewall with no weight and 30# of air. All measurements are on a 15X8 rim.

Do you think I need to trim?:D
    [​IMG]
    This is your standard city trash can if that gives you a size perspective.
    [​IMG]
    Here are some comparison shots of the tires I have on now. This is a 31X10.5 on a 15X8? factory rally wheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is all I have for now. I also discovered that the factory spare tire holder on the tailgate will not work as it is currently arranged. The 37 hits the bumper and the pole to set the tire on is barely long enough to take the weight of the tire. I guess I need to figure a new mount as I do not have the money for one of Kerts bumpers. Prolly just lay the spare in the back until I figure it out. If anyone has any ideas let me know. My current rear bumper is 1/4 wall 2X4 tube just like the ends of my front bumper in the first picture.

Ira