Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got the Toyota bug hard...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, May 8, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont know why, but I cant seem to configure my blazer like i want it. I've always owned toyotas in the past, and I've been daydreaming of them lately. So, I know you guys must hate this question, but what do you think my truck would be worth? It's got a stock 350/rebuilt TH350/NP203. New u joints, 14B/D44, 4.10 gears, detroit rear. Full cage. Bobbed 12". Fuel cell. ford contour seats. But it's uglier than it looks in the pics. How much do you think I could pull down? I'm thinking about driving it/wheeling the blazer all summer and then selling this fall to build a toyota over the winter. Something along the lines of this, but ext cab. And oh yeah, if I got a yota, would I still be allowed to hang out here now and then???

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&amp;postid=538295>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&amp;postid=538295</a>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Traitor! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Get a gocart same thing /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

I'll give you ten dollars and a yota! man what a deal, what a deal!

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Keep it, and get a yota. Toy's are cool, but you've put a ton of work in the blazer. It would be a shame to see it go.

Looks?!? Who cares about that, as long as it wheels good, cosmetics are for mall rigs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

BIGJ

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm just at the point now that it's still a fun truck but I want to upgrade too many things. It's still a budget truck, but once I get a doubler, D60, 383, ect, I'll be over 10K. The toys may be even cheaper to build than chevys and they sure fit more places. Maybe I'll keep it for a wheeler for the wife /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. She sure enjoyed driving it on the last 4x4 run. Slap a set of 35" mudders on it, and keep the 38's for the toy. Hmmm...decisions, decisions...

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just think of the blood, sweat, and beers you have in this one...........I've done that 4 times, built up a K5, and sold it to start another project.............in my case it was always another K5 but I regret going that route. Yota's are cool I guess but with what you have in your truck already I'd just hang in and finish it.

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Since selling it would be a big loss of $$,keep it.Buy a Toy and put your drivetrain out of the K5 in it.You would save $$ on upgrading the Toy cuz you would be using parts that you already have.Last summer I wheeled with a guy that had a 14ff/D44 in a 4Runner with 38" TSLs and it rocked.

I think a V8 Toy with full width axles would be cool.

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

An older toy 4-runner is pretty cool in my opinion.....however I don't think I could go anything less than fullsize for stability and safety purposes. Its the only thing I have ever owned for heaven's sakes!
    The biggest factor that would pull me away from yota's are avalibility of parts...know it or not parts are getting harder and harder to come by for even anything older than 87 (my brother has this problem). Its like they stopped making stuff and everything that you'll need is gonna be in a junkyard and whose to say its noy broken too! All this equals up to some costly repairs.
    So you say well, we'll just drop some chevy stuff in it engine(if it will fit). axles etc and you are back to basically an s-body on a fullsize drivetrain. Sure yota's are lighter and come stock with the gearing "The FOrce of Yota" which is pretty good its still not worth a full caged blazer etc! I think you should rethink cheaper and think reliability and why not keep the project you've been working on... Many people sink atleast $10 grand into their rigs but boy are they some Bad@ss ones! Think Project UAV .... in the worst case I'd recommend heep over a toy.

10. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I can totally relate to blazers being too big for some trails. This past weekend I got a few extra dents from some trails that weren't quite big enough for a fullsize. But, the jeep guys said I couldn't do it, so I had to.

You're still gonna spend some money though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Unless you drop your drivetrain into the Yota. Dual crawler cases, new Hybrid toyota axles, or full length chevy stuff, a V6 swap, lift, lockers, all that will add up quick.... I still say keep them both. Two project vehicles would be lots of fun.

BIGJ

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You guys are killin me! It's just cuz you have never wheeled a first Gen K5! We ROCK and can go just about anyware except between thoe two trees/forums/images/icons/smile.gif and mabie some of thoes rock buggy trails but other than that.........K5 FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

12. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

the same bug bit me /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ive been thinking about a 4Runner-----and im thinking im not gonna get crap for my truck so just swap everything into the yota. (full width looks cool on yotas /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and you still can daily drive the thing and get 15-20 mpg. so basically its a chevy in yota clothing so we can still hang out here.[

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya!!!!......and...Hell Ya!!! trade? up for 1st Gen. Baby!

14. GrimWheeler

GrimWheeler Registered Member

I'd have to agree with some of the others... If you get a yota.. just put all the "good stuff" under/in it.

Thats basically what I did, except I don't have the "good" running gear yet, and I didn't start out with a K5 though /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

as for the gas milage thing.. hummm I only get about 5-8 mpg in mine. check the math... 53miles, 11.6gals its like 4.6mpg. Probably has something to do with being a 383 stroker though /forums/images/icons/wink.gif hehe

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://i.am/GrimWheeler>http://i.am/GrimWheeler</a>

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think i can do it on the cheap man.

Truck $2000
    Cases and driveshafts $1200
    Axles $2500 or so. D60 rear/ HP reverse cut D60 front 5.29 Detroits and hydro hysteer
    Got the tires.
    Vortec V6 swap???
    Flatbed : price neglible
    Cage: same
    Ect ect.

Then sell the rest of the K5, sell the toyota stuff I'm not gonna use. I bet I'd have a highly capable trail rig for under 10K, which is what i'd have in the K5 if I got D60, doubler, ect.

Just a thinkin.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i dunno. make a crawler and a trail rig? 'yotas have thier place, but doing it in a FS is harder and lots more challening.

I'd build a hybrid if you wanna be small. i will, some day/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif