Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got this email re: consumer strategy to lower gas prices

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skigirl, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Near the end is the gas companies that do not buy middle east
    >> gasoline.....
    >>
    >> I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. This makes no sense to any but the oil companies as the spot price of oil has hardly changed.
    >> Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:
    >> This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"campaign that was going around last April or May!
    >> The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas, or curtail our driving. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that really might work. Please read it and join with us if you agree!
    >> By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.97 for regular unleaded in my town (California).
    >> Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers.
    >> With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.
    >> The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing THEIR gas!
    >> And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting or limiting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
    >> Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
    >> But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
    >> I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!
    >> If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
    >> Again,all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a
    mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one).
    >> How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!
    >> I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?
    >> Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
    >> PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK! YOU KNOW THEY LOVE HOLIDAYS AND SUMMER TRAVELERS.
    >> Be kinder than necessary! Make a good summer!

>> Where to buy gasoline and not support terrorism? This is food for
    >> thought, actually Yisrael Medad of the Begin Center sent the following information.
    >> Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia.
    >> Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis. Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time you fill up the tank, you are sending your money to people who are trying to kill you, me, your family, and your friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from. Major companies that import Middle Eastern oil
    >> (for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01).
    >> Shell 205,742,000 barrels
    >> Chevron/Texaco 144,332,000
    >> Exxon/Mobil 130,082,000
    >> Marathon 117,740,000
    >> Amoco 62,231,000
    >>
    >> If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
    >> Citgo 0 barrels
    >> Sunoco 0
    >> Conoco 0
    >> Sinclair 0
    >> BP/Phillips 0
    >> All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and can be easily documented. Refineries located in the U.S. are required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. They report on a monthly basis. Keep this list in your car; share it with friends. Stop paying for them to kill us!

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I got a better idea......

B
    U
    Y

A

D
    I
    E
    S
    E
    L

Brandy

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I live in Tucsan and Conoco was the first to raise their prices last month and they're still the most expensive!

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

$3.00 is alot for crappy gas. I dont mind paying $5.00 a gallon for my race gas because it is good quality gas, but the crap I have been getting at the pump isnt worth the 1.30 or 1.40 its been. I use to be able to run Mobil 92 in my firebird with no problems, now I have to run Mobil 91 and mix it with race gas to drive onthe street. I liked it much more when I could run regular gas on the street and race gas oat the track. If it goes to $3.00 a gallon, all my vehicles will get race gas, because the price on it hasnt changed in 3 years, go figure.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LOL! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I can't believe you read thru the whole thing! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I don't recall even seeing any of the gas stations listed at the end in my area. oh, well.

7. buttman2u

buttman2u Registered Member

umm, diesel is a fuel made from oil. so what exactly would i accomplish?

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

you can purchase your diesel as off road fuel- and not pay the taxes on it, directly from a "distributor"... however you can not do that with gas....don't ask me how I know that..

plus, around here, and in most parts I have seen Diesel is always less than gas- even when the prices go up, its still less than the cheapo gas..

Brandy

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I buy gas at Exxon.... I have too because it's cheaper then the rest of the places by my work (if I drive my truck 25 cents times 31 gallons adds up quickly!!) .... I am not spending 15-25 cents more a gallon to go to Chevron, Shell, Texaco or 76. When I do buy it's from the little small stores, AMPM, Exxon or Citgo. They are the cheapest.... I gotta go where my wallet permits me to go. They all know we have to drive to get anything and we will pay because we can't just say oops sorry no work today I can't pay! That'd fly real far....

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Ya, but there are exemptions you have to get (and you can get them and buy gasoline instead of diesel). Most people can't get those exemptions and if you get caught you are in great big doo doo! Plus, you aren't allowed to drive on the road with that fuel.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

and of course, I'd NEVER drive with that fuel on road... it was just a statement. LOL

here its not a big deal to get the tank....and we do pay taxes on it, we pay a fuel user tax every quarter to the state...though its NOT anywhere near the tax you pay at the pump, when you include the stations mark up.

Brandy

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

We pay over $0.35 cents in taxes per gallon at the pump here.... cheap stuff currently runs $1.48 to $1.75.... I love how I pay taxes out of my paycheck only to be taxed again at the pump. Talk about taxation without representation! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif