Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got to start running........ugghh.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeremy_C, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I sent in an application to a bigger dept, one of the qualifications is you need to run a mile in 8 minutes. With the right motivation I can drive a mile in 10 seconds, but i doubt i could run a mile in 8 minutes. I'm in shape, but not that good.

SOOO, i need to start running. Any tips on how to get my time lower quicker? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I figured alot of the ferd owners might know alot about this, since they walk alittle more then normal. hehehe /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

sheeeeeeeeeit.... I'm tempted not to answer cuz of the furd comment, but since I'm a nice guy and not a liar.... I'll put in my opinion here...

running an 8 minute mile isn't hard at all, I'm not in shape and I do it in about 8:24... if I was in better shape, it'd be freaking cake... just run like 2 miles every day and stuff and then eventually you'll get the mile in under 8 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree with Capman... Before I joined the ARMY, I couldn't run worth shiznits! Now that we run three times a week and about 5 miles each time.... I can run a 14 min 2 mile! Just pace out 2 miles with the car and than MAKE yourself run it every day! It actually helps you during the day... Wakes you up and makes your heart feel better! Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah man thats totally possible. In 7th grade I did it in 730 and I was a big boy then. Now I probably couldnt do one in 10....haha

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmm yeah when i played baseball, before my freshman year i couldnt jog a whole mile...right now youd be hard pressed to get me to run for more than 500 feet in one hours time...just ask chevy4wd...heh

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

All the above is good advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I run 2 miles a day and my best time 15:21. Just time yourself to get a baseline and push yourself harder until you get under 8 mins. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You will find that with practice you can get there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any tips on how to get my time lower quicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you guessed that the Donut Whore would say something about a long pole, some rope, and a donut, you were right on.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My best time was 13:40 for 2.2 miles when I was in high school. I doubt I could even run a mile at this point but I know with a few weeks of 'training' it'd come back fairly easy. Take it slow and try and improve in increments, the key is to pace yourself and not burn out too early. Find a comfortable pace and stick to it...if you're over 8 minutes try and bump the pace a little at a time until you can comfortably run it in under 8.

Rene

9. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'm talking abot running, not fishing for Bubba Ray

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    just run like 2 miles every day and stuff and then eventually you'll get the mile in under 8 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't run every day. Let your body rest in between.

I could go on and on, but I'll simply say this. If it hurts, stop. Don't push yourself through pain. If you have a hard time breathing, calm down and relax more when you run and think about something else. Run with another person too, it's more challenging.

I have a bad knee now for a number of reasons, one is that I just pushed myself too hard. I have to go to physical therepy 3 times a week and I have to deal with quite a bit of pain sometimes. It even kept me out of deploying with my unit, which is headed to Iraq very soon. It is getting better though with the exercises the doctor is having me do and stuff.

Either way, just don't hurt yourself. I see people at the PT office all the time with injuries from running. It's something that most people's bodies just aren't set up to do on a regular basis. Take it slow, get GOOD shoes, and stop if it hurts. Trust me, I'm 19 and I've been told that I have the knees of a 60 year old man. It totally sucks to not ever be able to do anything because you're in pain, but thank God that I'll be better eventually if I continue to go through the therepy.

The crazy thing is that the therepy hurts more than running ever did!!

11. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Invest in a good pair of running shoes. Knee problems are no fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif