Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got to test out my brakes!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 21, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

FIRST OFF THIS ENDED UP UP LONG, get ready for a story or change the channel now /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Well its the same brakes I've had forever but since I put the lift on I haven't Lock'd 'em up. The other night I was playing in the pond and I disconnected my sway bar. I left it disconnected to check the drivablility. I've put about 200 miles on the truck since no major problems with sway or nose dive.

Anyhow back to the story. I went to drop off some parts at a buddy's house to make enough $$$ to go pay my car insurance that day (which the payment was past due several days before /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif). Leaving his house I jump back up on the main road coming into town and as I'm cruising along the stop light (that had JUST turned green) turned yellow... I glance around, all is clear no traffic. As I focus back on my path a mini van takes the yellow light turning in front of me. She was going fast enough the van was sitting about 10 degrees off vertical /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

SO! I hit the brakes at about 50mph and with in about 65feet I come sliding to skreching stop right on the white line! the first 50feet or so the truck was sliding perfectly straight, the last 15-25 feet the rear end started to kick over so I turned into it slightly as I came to a full stop; I look up just in time to see the light turn red /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. The drivers side tire was on the center yellow line and rear passengers side was about 2 feet over on the white line, front tires still facing straight. There was some nose dive but probley not much worse than if the sway bar was connected. I can tell a difference up on the highway making sweeping turns... not little turns at stop lights but the long curves on the highway. Once the body rolls into it it just seems to keep drifting that direction. With the sway bar connected I can take the same curves 10mph faster and have almost no roll, or worries, about the curve.

Back to the story again... After I got the green light and checked to make sure there wasn't anymore panic'd people wanting to get to Walmart /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I drove straight to the Insurance Comp and paid my Insurance /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I swear some peple are crazy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif She must wanted to get to Walmart awefully bad /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Last time I checked I had the right away and she was not even close enough for me to consider her a hazzard at the intersection. If she would have had a turn light on or was actually close enough to the intersection, I probley would have stopped normally and not thought a second thought about it, but she had to have been moving fast... She was probley 10 car lengths back in the turn lane and in the time I glanced to the right and back she was taking the turn /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Body roll on Chryslers vans looks pretty dangerous the way she was taking that corner /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Side note: I hate these new motion sensor lights here in town. they through off all the traffic flow downtown and along the main roads. Use to you could get across town and only hit one or two lights (they are timed so that you hit most of the green going one way or the other). Now you see the next light up the road turn green, the light you are sitting at turns green, and if no one is on the road in front of you, the light turns red before you can get a block up... I swear the designers of this system must have been the kids that lov'd "Red light! Green light!" as a child /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

(PS this is what I think they call Adult ADD /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That sounds pretty familiar to one of my almost mishaps a few weeks ago, but didn't involve a stop light. I was following a VW beetle, at a safe distance and all of a sudden this girls comes to a dead halt and puts on a turn signal, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Well I wish I would have had a camera because of the look on her face /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif when she seen my smoking tires heading to hit her and my a$$ end cocked to the left. PRICELESS moment to me. Everytime I see her now she turns off somewhere and takes another route or gets behind me and follows.

3. asterix

asterix Registered Member

I've learnd not to worry about the brakes. If someone is going to turn infront of me they are going to be kissing my bumper. Maybe they will start to learn to check the distance before they jump in.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Man arent close calls the funnest!? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Nothing like a little adrenaline rush to make the heart go thmupity-thumpity huh? Lets you know your still alive /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif