Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got TPI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Apr 24, 2004.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I picked up an '88 TPI setup off a Camaro 350 last week. Also got an '86 manifold that will work with my early style heads. I'm going to get the street and performance wiring harness.. I need to figure out what inline fuel pump i'm going to run. ( /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif), and run high pressure lines, and a return line. Hopefully have it on and running within a month.
    Still going to gasket match port the intake... I've spent the last week sanding and polishing the whole setup. I'm almost gonna call it done:

BEFORE...
    [​IMG]
    AFTER... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You ever tried to sand and polish an intake manifold!? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    Anyone wanna guess how much time i have into that? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Look out, I'm gonna have to bring my aluminum polish on the trail so i can clean off my tpi after i get it muddy. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

how much that set ya back? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, I got it.

That manifold looks sweet. I imagine that took forever to polish like that. I wouldn't do it to mine cause it looks to chrome for my tastes but it looks sweet thats for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Where you able to polish the piece that covers the distributor? If not you want to sell it?

Harley

4. Ryan B.

I'm planning on doing this for under $1200.
    The guy was asking $350, i picked up the complete setup for $300.
    Wiring harness is gonna be about $550.
    Fuel pump, high pressure hoses, and return line~ $100?
    Ducting and an air filter..$50?

The distribuitor cover piece that came with my setup was plastic, i'm going to pick up an aluminum one and polish it to match. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Polished doesn't quite look like chrome, when i see stuff polished under the hood like this at car shows, my jaw just drops. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Painless Harness is $300
    Fuel pump (external) is $120+
    high pressure soft hose $5-6 per foot.
    Fuel filters $20

I run 2 filters. 1 low pressure before the pump to keep junk out of the pump and 1 HP filter after incase something in the pump gives up it won't get to the fuel rails. I used a HP filter off a 92 F350 with 460 V8.

Harley

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

AWESOME Ryan!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Whered you score that? Somewhere local? Ive been looking into it, n Ebay and such. GM Sports Salvage wanted $650 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, and I know I could get it cheaper then that.
    Looks good man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, let me know how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Ryan, here are some other little words of advice I remembered.

make sure you replace the oring seals on the end of the injectors before you install the fuel rail. The orings should come with your manifold gasket kit. You don't want to have to rip out the manifold again to get to the fuel rail if it starts to leak.

Also remember to install the oil pressure fitting at the back of the manifold before you install the manifold. Otherwise you will have to pull the manifold to install it.

Use only 02 sensor safe RTV on all the engine parts just in case.

When you go to install the plenum make sure you plug the MAT sensor connector onto the sensor before the plenum is installed. Otherwise you better have hands like a girl and be a contorsionist to get to it.

Remote mount the coil also. The coil bracket is the ground so make sure it is grounded. If you mount it on the manifold like normal it is a PITA to get to the distributor if you need to work on it.

Hookup the ECM power wire to the coil power wire too. That way you know they are both getting good power when the ignition is turned on.

Set your TPS reading to .540 volts when the key is on without the motor running. Timing should be 6-8* BTDC.

There is a wire you must unhook to set your base timing. Do yourself a big favor and hook it up to a toggle switch mounted somewhere on the firewall so you can turn it on and off without having to try and get down by the distributor to disconnect and reconnect it. Much easier.

If you want the K&N part number that hooks onto the end of the MAF let me know I will find it.

Harley

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Personally I say screw the oil pressure/sending unit switches/senders. Go get one off of like a '91 Camaro, wire both sets of wires to the one switch/sender combo, and run it from above the oil filter housing.

You save yourself some wiring and hassle this way, much easier to deal with the combo piece, it is much smaller than the stock pressure sender.

9. Hossbaby50

I got lucky when I installed mine. I combined both my stock brass fitting with the one I got with my TPI setup so I am running my gauge sender and my pressure switch off the manifold. So it was a snap for me. I think I just got lucky though. My luck is pretty crappy but I caught a break on that one.

Harley

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ryan,
    So what did You use to polish it? Did You use any power tools such as a rotory tool? I have done smaller pieces in the past and found that a couple coats of clear kept the finish much better and made clean up much easyer.
    I think it's gonna look good. Keep up the good work.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that looks good brother /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

nicely done man, looks good... i can sympathize, i did a Performer once at about 50 hrs, so i can imagine that was alot of work..

eventually i want to put a TPI on my 383 project..

13. Ryan B.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryan,
    So what did You use to polish it? Did You use any power tools such as a rotory tool? I have done smaller pieces in the past and found that a couple coats of clear kept the finish much better and made clean up much easyer.
    I think it's gonna look good. Keep up the good work.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif 50 hours!? I would have given up at 20! ...Polishing something like this is the ultimate test in determination and patience. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Yes power tools are a must.
    For the manifold, first, air sander, die grinder, and dremol tool with grinding bits, then sanding bits, and sanding by hand/finger.. Last, polishing flat surfaces everywhere the buffing wheel could reach with the buffing wheel on a bench grinder, to get all the nooks and crannies i got a 4" buffing wheel on an air powered die grinder.

For the plenum and runners, i got an air powered sander, went through 180, 320, 400, 600, to get most all the pitting out from beadblasting, then polishing with the bench grinder and the die grinder with buffing wheels on them. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

HARLEY- Thanks for the tips man! ..Also you have a part number for the pickup coil and module? OR just go order it for an '88 camaro/corvette. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. Hossbaby50

The pickup coil and module are just stock pieces for an 88 Camaro 5.0 or 5.7 with TPI. It is actually the same parts as a TBI K5.

DR411 is the module from Checker $32
    Don't remember the pickup. Its $12

Buy 2 you may need them. I did. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

15. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

DAMN! Ryan awesome! You will be the baddest 1st gen at the mall /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Really though that is some A$$ stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Looks Great..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif(Thank god I have my sun glasses on...)

17. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Ryan.If you want to use the factory upper rad. hose change the t-stat housing to this one.
    [​IMG]

It comes out the same way as the smaller TPI one.If you try to use the one off your blazer it will interfer with the throttle linkage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little mod will allow you to retain the factory sizes upper rad hose.
    Although I just cut up my orig. rad hose and used the different angled pieces make my own upper rad. hose.
    [​IMG]

Intake looks awsome man!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. dyeager535

I just used the stock one off of an '88 Camaro (pretty sure thats what I specified) and it was a no brainer. That thermo neck is the same diameter as the later truck radiator fitting.

Of course, it won't work with a mechanical fan, but if running MAF, thats pretty much not an option anyways.

19. Hossbaby50

I am running MAF and stock Rad hose off 91 Z28 with mech. fan. I can take a pic if you need.

The stock water neck had to be cut down but it worked fine.

Harley

20. dyeager535

I did mine without cutting the neck, and used different year hose, perhaps thats why. Who knows? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif probably could have trimmed and cut as needed to make it work, but it's formed shape is fine with my electric fans.

radiator hose