Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got tranny cooler installed now need ideas for power steering cooler. Pics Added

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 3, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I finally got my new 40,000 GVRW tranny cooler installed. The problem is it is so big I had to mount it on the drivers side of the radiator support, well MOST of the cooler is on the driver side. I had planned to mount my tube cooler on that side for my power steering. It is dark now but I will post pics in the AM. Can anyone show me how they have mounted there transmission coolers along with a power steering cooler? Also any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As of now it appears that I will have to mount my steering cooler on the passenger side. No real problems just more hose than I really wanted to run.

Thanks

Ira

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Geebus, that thing must be the size of a Yugo! :eek1: IIRC I used the B&M 28k GVWR cooler on both my trail and tow rigs.

Umm, I notice that the factory used a length of tube bent into a zig-zag on some trucks ... I think my Burb had that, I forget. (Wife kept it with the divorce, which is okay by me -- it's a 1990, too newfangled for me :) )

Obviously it's not as efficient as a real cooler, but pretty soon you're gonna cover your radiator up and overheat the engine :D

-- A

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The problem was that the cooler is 22" long. It covers the upper drivers side quarter of the radiator. The factory tranny cooler was the tube cooler I am going to use for my power steering it is a zigzag type maybe 6 or 7 passes. I think I have room below the transmission cooler but I am not sure how to mount the tube type cooler. I think pics will help explain but it is too dark out.
    Here is a pic of how and where I mounted the cooler.
    [​IMG]
    And here is a picture of the cooler I am going to use for my Power Steering.
    [​IMG]
    I am thinking of placing it on the passenger side of the radiator support. I think there is room underneath the Trans cooler but it will be a tight fit for the hoses. Any suggestions welcome.

Ira

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I added some pics.

Ira

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

stupid question. with the tranny lines on the pass side and p/s on driver side why not mount them on the correct sides? just a idea.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The Trans cooler is tooooo wide to fit on the other side. I would also have to mount it really low due to the hood latch and that would require me to completely remove the center support . As it is I had to trim about 1/2" from it. GM should have planned ahead and made the passenger side the wider side. :D

Ira

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

GM is dumb sometimes....

My 82 K20 Diesel's radiator is assbackwards as far as the oil and tranny cooler too..the TH400's tranny cooler lines come out of the tranny on the passenger side,yet the boobs put the tranny cooler in the drivers side of the radiator!--and the oil cooler lines exit the block above the oil filter on the drivers side--(same place as a small block)--and they put the oil cooler in the passenger side of the radiator..and the hoses go from rubber,to metal tubing where it crosses the fan in back of the radiator!..its about 10' of unnessasary plumbing if you ask me.. :screwy: :dunno: :surepal: ....

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just put my powersteering cooler on the back side of the radiator. Its not as efficient that way, but it is out of the way, and being as close as it is to the fan, I don't think it has any problems keeping things cool. Never had my resevoir gush boiling steering fluid on the trail yet... so it must be working. :thumb:

j

10. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I mounted mine to an aluminum bar and used padded pipe clamps to attach them to that. I would not recommend using those black zip-tie things. They will probably saw through the rad or the cooler due to the added vibrations and stress they will see.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any thoughts regarding orienting the cooler "fittings-down"? I can envision a possible air entrapment issue (air trapped in the top of the cooler with no exit; negates most of it's fluid cooling capability)... but that's just me.
    Anyone else?

12. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

According to the manufacturer's web site, it isn't a problem. I have mine mounted the same way.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I asked about this before I installed it and the feelings where mixed. If you think about it from a path of least resistance point of view the tanks have less backpressure than the plate does therefore the tank should fill to the top. I did the idiot check and felt the cooler after I drove it and there was a substantial temp difference between the inlet and outlet of the cooler while both "tanks" had even temp along the complete length. I ended up adding about 3 pints of tranny fluid after the install so I figure if there is an airbubble it is quite small. Plus it is a 40,000 GVRW cooler I think I can loose about 5-10K GVRW and still be OK. :D

Ira

14. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Power sterring cooler....

You could always just mount it out of the way, since it's so much bigger than anything stock, even passively cooling somewhere out of the way of the radiator (for more radiator flow) would be better than stock. The one on my 93 Suburban just goes into the frame thru the front, better than nothing, but your cooler should do an awesome job no matter how its mounted, just out of the way. I had one in my old 79 Burb and cut out an opening on the fender well and riveted it to it....you could also put a fan on it too...

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I installed my power steering cooler today and wouldn't ya know it is almost exactly where it was when it was a tranny cooler. :doah: . It is in this location because it is the only spot I could find that would not possibly cause damage to the coils. We will see how cooling will be on the highway should be fine it is slow on the trail when the steering is getting worked along with the tranny. I guess we will see. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is where I want to run my lines and yes they will be protected. My final version will have hard lines for everything infront of the radiator core suppport.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all, and I am still open to critiques.

Ira

16. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

could of just used zip ties :p: :p:

looks good

17. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Just a suggestion - while you're messing with the PS lines, install an inline filter in the return hose. I bought mine at NAPA, and it's actually meant for an aux. filter for an auto trans. Has a magnet inside too. Looks like an inline fuel filter.

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the advice I meant to get one of those and totally forgot about it.

Ira

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Nice use of the Adel clamps on the PS cooler - I like it.

I hear ya re: cooler fitting orientation. If there's enough flow, I suppose over time any air-lock will clear itself... plus the cooling over-capacity would cushion most losses. I'm just not personally comfortable with fittings-down for my installs, and I wanted to get others' thoughts on it.
    It's all good! :D

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

OK here is an update. I drove around town today prolly only 20 minutes. Kept in 3rd cause I had max speed of 40-45 MPH. When the truck first warmed up it went to about 240? It was just above the line between 210 and 260. I was thinking the Tranny cooler was blocking to much of the radiator. Then all of a sudden the temp dropped to about 165-180. Air temp outside is about 60 right now. It stayed that way for the rest of the time I drove it even sitting at lights. I then on the last mile to the house put the tranny in 2nd at about 40 which made me turn about 2500 RPM this caused the temp to rise to just about 210 if not slightly over. All of these temps that I speak of are Coolant temps as I do not have a Transmission Temp gauge yet. The initial rise has me worried is my thermostat going bad? I currently have a 195 in there. Also is 210 ok for extended periods on coolant temp.

Thanks

Ira