Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got truck running but got oil psi questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Mar 24, 2006.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so got the truck running tonight.. still have to adjust the timing, floats and idle on the carb... now I had the truck running for a while.. sounds nice... however I noticed a whirl.. hard to explain....kinda like when a power steering pump is dry or something like that.... can a oil pump make sounds like that?
    I had the truck running and added water to the radiator for a while.. then I went to go and check the temp gauge to see where was it at .. I noticed 0psi oil on the gauge...!!!!! So I shut it down... now i had it running for a while...... so now im wondering what the problem is..
    I called my uncle and he said it sounds like im getting oil.. now my truck's oil gauge was acting funny last time i went out.... my gauge was going from 5psi to beyond 60 (where it normally is) and back and forth.. freacking out..... then would drop to 0 then go back up.... later that day it was fine...
    so I wonder if whatever it was that was going bad finally when bad and it happend to be when I did some motor mods...
    so
    to test the gauge.. single wire to solenoid.. ground it and the gauge should move?
    if so tomorrow I will just replace the oil sender (even though it isnt that old)
    if still no oil pressure... maybe need a new oil pump? the part that is freaking me out is the whirl I hear... I dont wanna blow this motor as I just got a ton of $$$ into it and got it back together.... any ideas from people on what to do?
    Also I figured I may buy a cheap gauge and rubber hose and test that way.... was at sears tonight and they wanted $40 for one.. ferget that!!!!
    thanks guys...
    Jeff

2. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

If it turns out that the guage is not bad then the sound you hear may be the bearings in the bottom end, i hope you get it fixed.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should go out and buy an oil gauge that is a direct feed type because direct feed oil pressure gauges are much more reliable. You can connect the electric oil prssure gauge on your dash at a later time, when you know for sure your engine has good oil pressure. Just connect it to the engine where the electric oil pressure gauge sending unit screws into the block. All you need is a short feed line to the direct feed type oil pressure gauge layed up against the fenderwall, in the engine compartment. I always do this as a precaution when starting a new engine for the first time. There are two tools I like when starting a new engine for the first time...a remote starter switch, and a direct feed oil pressure gauge with a short feed line to it in the engine compartment. This way I can start the engine, and closly watch the engine oil pressure climb as it starts for the first time, while working the throttle linkage manualy with my hands.

4. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

If this is a recent rebuild, and the oil pump was replaced, did you check the clearance between the oil pickup tube and the oil pan? Just a thought.

5. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

this was my guess as well and the whirring noise is the dry rotor of an empty oil pump.

6. RootBreaker

well I figured out a few things..
    grounded the lead to the oil sender..... it doesnt move.. so wire must be bad or gauge....

also found the whirrrrrrrl noise...
    fired the truck up and pushed the clutch in..... it goes away... now that is weird as it didnt do that before..... oh well and it is a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing.....
    could antifreeze possibly got in there when we removed the heads and got it all gunked up? that is the only thing I can think of...
    oh well.... gonna cleanup now.. .got tools to put away.... bolts (extras - replaced header bolts and stuff)...... plus I got tools all over the garage....

so who wants to come over and set my holley? I obviously found out I dont know how to do it...
    I tried adjusting the front floats and somehow cut off all the fuel.. .fussed with it and got the fuel back but still... everything is out of wack....

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey I see you need the big block smog bracket I have one email me directly at doctor4x4@hotmail.com
    i am in losangles and give a 60 $$ back guarante
    Sorry to steel this post but you have your email address blocked so how can a guy help you if he dont hijack this one :-)
    R

8. RootBreaker

were ya talking to me? didnt know I needed a big block smog bracket.....
    thanks anyway :wink1: