Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got your duct tape?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 11, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

And plastic sheeting?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, and I'm practicing kissing my a$$ goodbye /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Seriously, you're in N.Y., I'm in L.A. - what do think about this whole thing? And are you seriously planning for potentially big problems or do you think it's an over-reaction? I've had a few friends call me - they think that we should be prepared for real. Told 'em I've collected duct tape for years /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ... but I think we are going to develop a plan - (tho I'm in a pretty protected area here).

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

One good thing is coming from all of this. I just got permission to sell the house, ( My wife was born in this house) and build one out in the sticks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I guess there is a good side to living 3 miles from the Pentagon

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Congrats. That's what I'd be doing if I lived where you do!

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm pretty rural, I'm not too worried, though I'm east of ya. Metro areas, I would be worried. But also, chemical and biological weapons are dependant on weather conditions so my worries go down even further.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm not really worried about it. In fact, there's a pretty good chance I'll be at the top of Empire Thursday or Friday. Not a death wish or bravado or anything, just how can I change anything by worry?

'Sides with all the draft in my old house, I'd need to wrap the whole thing in duct tape to seal it...

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Not worried much about biologicals (of course, there is small pox... could be problematic), chemicals or nukes (if they are suitcase type), as far as direct affect. I'm surrounded by foothills and not close to even any soft targets - total bedroom small community up here.

L.A.'s propensity to panic and riot at the drop of a hat is what I think is most dangerous.

Water supply cutoff or contamination could be catastrophic for Los Angeles - affects drinking and electricity. I think it could take a bit to fix those problems. And frankly, the peeps that would suffer most are the poorest - they don't drink bottled water and probably don't stash any either. Sets the stage for looting, riots, etc.

Re: direct threat - I think small pox is the biggest direct threat - a cheap and easy way to create mass destruction.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    'Sides with all the draft in my old house, I'd need to wrap the whole thing in duct tape to seal it...

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif yea, mine's a futile endeavor too that way.

9. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I live within 20 miles of Multiple Oil and Chemical Refineries. Premcor, Chevron, Huntsman, Mobil, Texaco, Fina, Dupont, and some other smaller one's. A couple are less than a mile from my house. My father works at one and hearing him talk about the security they have kinda scares me sometimes. But like Ratch said, no use in worrying, it won't do any good.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just found this extremely humorous:
    My life insurance agent left a message on my machine that I qualify for a lower rate in a better plan because I've been smoke free for over 2 years now.

Ironic; by the world's standard's and current climate, my chances of dying are greater today than they were two years ago when I bought the policy, yet they're calling to offer me a break!

11. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i always have my ducttape!!! what did i miss i have been away from the TV all day. i dont like what i am hearing.

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Please.... what a joke. I don't ever buy any of that stuff. Like the Y2K people who spent thousands of bucks to get ready and what... nothing... it's all about scaring people into buying crap they don't need so someone can make money.

As for the "terrorists" I say bring it awn... if they want to scare people, then they need to look else where. I'll go down fighting before I resort to being scared of some terrorists who hide in caves and date camels! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Ok, So you close off your room so that it's airtight and no chemicals can get in, WHAT THE HELL YOU GONNA BREATH ONCE YOUR OXYGEN IS DEPLETED?

14. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Yes, make your house air tight with duct tape and plastic so you can breath in you own Co2 and take a long nap. I don't know about any one here, but I don't have o2 respiration like most aircraft.

I had small-pox once as a child, and I don't think I'll get it again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At any rate, anticipation of a horrific action and deviation of normal American life is a weapon of terrorist and "we" are all playing to it. I'm sure a lot of people fearing terroristic plots may have died in an auto accident or choked on a piece of steak last weekend, only to fret in vein.
    Alertness and common sense is the new way of life...not to live in constant fear (my responses reflect the general population and not this board) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, news has been saying it's only for a few hours. For me, personally, if I'm working in the city and it gets attacked, what am I gonna do? Walk around with my isreali-issue gas mask? C'mon.

I watched a documentary on chemical weapons a while back, right after 9/11, and it seems the work required to spread a dangerous amount of bio/chemical weapons is so tremendous, that suburbs probably have more to fear from nuclear detonation than bio warfare. To spread massive bio warfare would take enough work for the perp to be caught hopefully before releasing payload. I.E. crop duster's, which are hopefully getting a lot more scrutiny right now...
    Cities have more to fear of concentrated areas like subway stations than open areas or inside thier offices.
    What was a little disturbing right after 9/11 was that the air intake for one of my buildings was right above street level... They've since changed it to a less accessible area...
    If it's gonna happen, I seriously doubt there'll be enough warning to save my family, and I'm not planning to walk around holding a sheet up to my nose til the terror thermometer goes down.

Then again, I guess it only takes a couple people that don't know they have smallpox to go spread it quietly...

16. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

got my ductape but I'm saving it for my truck when I'm on the trails!

I think if it were really to go down, the ductape and plastic thing will just give you a little more time before you go. You might even see others go. Who wants to do that.

17. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Please.... what a joke. I don't ever buy any of that stuff. Like the Y2K people who spent thousands of bucks to get ready and what... nothing... it's all about scaring people into buying crap they don't need so someone can make money.

As for the "terrorists" I say bring it awn... if they want to scare people, then they need to look else where. I'll go down fighting before I resort to being scared of some terrorists who hide in caves

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%!

If they're gunna strike my city, **** it, i'll go down, im not gunna look like an idiot wasting duct tape on my windows and doors only to die of acedosis breathing my own CO2. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Why let fear control the way you live?

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Duct tape Shmuck tape... If I find out I've been poisened I'm gonna go out and shoot every diaper head I can find till I keel over...

19. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I live with in 30 miles of Mac Dill AFB. Central Command for the Middle East. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Lets see....Fla has Cent Com, were basicly a little tag on the country....Fla would make a nice "example" of what they are capable of if they wanna shake up the US. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BUT living this close to Cent Com means it will be well protected. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Kinda like the Pentagon and the White House.

20. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Ya the pentagon was sure well protected on 9-11... But it's a good thing that it has 5 sides. Takes 5 planes to do the whole thing in... And if the passengers of the one designated for the white house hadn't heroically taken the plane out, that would have been history too.

The thing I'm worried about the most is that I may die by the hands of some a$$ hole from the middle east instead of a liver desease like I planned. I've been working on that most of my life now and it would be a shame to have it ruined by some p!ssed off SOB from sand land....

Don't you feel my pain? [​IMG]