Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gotmud? or anyone, please....Question about spyware,,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87Blazerlady, Apr 23, 2003.

1. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

I mentioned www.hotbar.com and you said it is spyware. I just educated myself alittle on this and found this site (Spychecker) where you can enter a name to find out if something is spyware:

http://www.spychecker.com/

I entered "hotbar" and "deskflag" and "Gain" and it came up with nothing in there database,,,,,but,,,I entered Kazaa and there was a report for Kazaa Media Desktop. I have read of quite a few people in ck5 with Kazaa. Is there another place to check for spyware, similar to the Spychecker? And is Kazaa considered spyware since it is in Spychecker's database? I just downloaded that, too....lol /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

just go get the program adaware. Its made by lavasoft. It will scan your hd and find all instances of spyware. spyware isnt necessarily a bad thing, only if it bugs you. Cookies for the most part are spyware, but all they do is remember passwords and what not.

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Get Kazaa Lite. It can be found several places just by doing a search for it. It does the same stuff as Kazaa, only it doesn't have any spyware or extraneous bullcrap, like the Kazaa store or whatever. If you can't find it, i can send it to you. It's MUCH better than regular Kazaa /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Lavasoft Add-aware. It works great for me. if you get enough spy ware, tracking programs,, Ect, loaded up in your PC it will slow it down.
    Add aware gets rid of all that junk. Is easy to use.It will cut down on the popups too (if you dont already have "Pop up Killer")
    Free download:lavasoft.de

6. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

I may be just paranoid, but I do a fair share of online banking and bill paying and that sh*t just makes me a little nervous /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. 87Blazerlady

Gotmud? Exactly!! That is why I ask. I do, too. I wouldn't recognize spyware /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, and just seek ways to protect my information. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. I'm glad you did. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Where I do my banking online, they say that they are secure. Are they safe as far as this spyware is concerned? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I don't want to get paranoid over this either...these places that sell programs to rid you of the spyware, I'm afraid to say that MAYBE they are feeding from people's fears, just like a lot of companies do in order to sell their product.

Thank you all for your responses. I think it is important to understand what you are putting into your system. There are too many unsuspecting people online and I was one of them. I haven't experienced any nightmares yet, but don't want to either.

I went to the webpage, Gotmud?, and I read what the people had to say about Hotbar and am afraid to try to uninstall it, afraid to do anything with my pictures and afraid to use my Outlook Express until I have the instructions down pat on what to do to uninstall Hotbar...I checked my Add and Remove programs and Hotbar isn't even in that list of programs..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif But, hotbar is with me wherever I go.

How the heck am I going to uninstall it? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

just get a firewall, that way people cant look onto your computer unless you let them. Get a free one zonealarm at download.com. It works fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a nice little freeware proggy by the name of spybot, search and destroy. It finds, removes and innoculates against spyware, and programs that hijack your browser etc. I like it a bit better than ad aware. JMHO

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey thanks for the heads up on that Spybot search and destory /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It looks like a good program. I like the fact it can clean out the registery. I got a Trogan Horse in my registry that I had to clean out manually /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. It sent an Email to the spyware company everytime I went online /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. not sure what else it was doing but it was kind of nasty.
    My kids are always downloading stuff off the net and bringing home all kinds of bugs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. It looks like spybot will be a big help.
    I really dont keep anything personal on my net computer so I really dont need a firewall for it.
    But if I did banking or any other personal business online and kept personal info in my files I would get one. Without a firewall your personal stuff is not secure.

11. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

12. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

I run Zone Alarm pro, Ad-aware, Spy-bot search and destroy, and Pest patrol.

13. 87Blazerlady

Ratah

Is that test for people on DSL only because I have Dial-up and first it tells me they are offline and to try again later,,,,then I click on results and they give me a good report about my security:

Your IP Address
    Conclusion: Healthy Setup! We could detect nothing interesting on any of the default ports on your IP address. Your computer appears to be a hard target. Well done!

LOL My McAfee ran out months ago and I don't know if I have a firewall through Earthlink or not but if the report came back correctly for me then that is another plus for Earthlink,,,,,I think,,,,I am really computer dumb....lol
    But I sure do find my way around without getting into trouble "So Far" LMAO--computer is slow but I blame that on being on dial-up and slowwwww is nothing new.

I love everyones input, and am learning from it. Now I have to decide what I want to do next about that blasted Hotbar....it comes and goes.

Ya know what I do see that is different, though and it has got me spooked? When I scroll up and down everything kind of flashes... and the icons that have any movement, they are kind of flashing, too.

There I go, talking too much.....LMAO

14. 87Blazerlady

Ok...please be patient with me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I went to the webpage that gotmud? suggested and followed all of the direction to remove Hotbar. So I thought. I just downloaded adaware and did a scan and it came up with 155 items /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif....they are from:

Gator, Rapid Blaster, Cydoor, Alexa, Xupiter, SaveNow (which I also thought I removed), Hotbar (thought I removed), IPInsight and tracking co...
    These were all listed as Data miners or Malware.

My question is: Whenever I do a scan with adaware, do I let adaware remove all of what comes up or are there times when you shouldn't? This is totally new to me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Ok,,,all 155 items are on the "quarentine list",,,lmao,,,what do I do next?

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I just let it remove whatever it tags. Haven't had any problems as a result. But it does allow you to make a backup (called quarantine) so if something does mess up it can be repaired.

Don't know if there are things you shouldn't let it get rid of.

16. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Yes there are time's when you don't want to remove a particular component, For example "cydoor" without it Kaaza will not work, If you have Kaaza lite installed it will install a fake cydoor file witch you need need to leave. I run some Kodak software for my digital camera that use's a program called "back web" that also comes up as "spy-ware" yet if I remove it my program will not function correctly, So I end up leaving these installed and try not to worry about it to much. I think even weather bug has something in it that comes up on a scan and it won't work either if you remove it.

17. 87Blazerlady

Thanks Skigirl /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 87Blazerlady

Gotmud?,
    Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Warning: I may be back. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif