Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gotta clean the engine and change the head gaskets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Jul 25, 2003.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

well the time has come for me to work on the engine. but first i have to clean it. i know i have to cover the carb and distributre but what else to i have to cover. also what is a good quality head gasket and what else should i look for while im in there. thanx
    mike

2. 85burbanator

any body?

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I just used engine cleaner from Checkers and rinse it with the hose.

4. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Felpro's a good name in gaskets, should be available at most parts stores. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Hot water pressure washer. with about 2000 psi of pressure will do a great job. Soak it down with "Gunk engine degreaser" first.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

With the motor cool, coat everything with foamy engine cleaner (I think it works better because it stays in places the regular degresser will run off of). Leave the air cleaner on, after the cleaner has sat a few minutes start the truck and drop in a couple bucks to the spray washer (if you dont have a pressure washer at home), and spray it down full blast, try to stay away from the carb and if it starts to choke down move spraying to the inner fenders or fire wall, when the engine picks back up hit another part of the motor.
    Running the motor during spraying will keep it from flooding out and keep water out of the distributor (well as much water as just drowning it). Plus if you drive it home you get less water spots from the water evaporating /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    what else should i look for while im in there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would look for rust in the cooling ports, scratchs in cylinder walls, uneven deck surfaces on the motor and heads, carbon build up on valves, bent or worn push rods or rocker arms, if you got the cash I would rebuild the heads if the motor has alot of miles (mill, magnaflex, valve grind, new seals).
    Second I tried that Restore stuff in my dodge (to restore compresion) and it blew out the head gaskets. After you get things bolted back together if it doesn't have some pep I bet you could use that Restore engine treatment with the new head gaskets and you would be set!

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

This is also a good time to paint things in the engine bay since it will be clean and partway tore down.
    [​IMG]

Also dump some fresh oil over the heads when you put it back together and then change the oil before you start the motor (helps flush out crud, not really ness to change the filter, wait 500 miles and change the oil and filter). Run a few hundred miles before you try the engine restore if you do that (to make sure the head gaskets are seated).

If the motor is tore down over night stuff some paper towels into any holes and a garbage bag over the motor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good luck

OH! Exhaust manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets if needed! You will also need to pull the intake so you will need the intake gaskets too (I think there is a top end rebuild kit with all teh gaskets you will need).
    If you got a buddy with a parts cleaner have the intake dipped and use an air hose to help clean out all the carbon!

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Now what else /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. 85burbanator

wow i think that should be helpful /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanx alot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Don't waste your money on "Engine Degreasers" from the parts store. Just get some "Easy Off" oven cleaner. That works better then any Engine Degreaser. Only bad thing is it will remove the paint as well as any grime.