Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gotta get this body roll under control... any help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dale_gribble, Oct 20, 2006.

1. dale_gribble

dale_gribble Registered Member

My burb has some silly body roll. I notice it most when driving on uneven surfaces or especially today when it was really windy out. The steering doesn't pull or wobble- it's not the typical sign of steering/suspension component wear- the suspension doesn't respond to the road, the body does. The BDS springs for one must be a pretty soft pack, and it does ride pretty dang good for a lifted SFA leaf sprung truck.

After I hit a bump, the truck does the corner to corner and side to side rolling common on a vehicle that has shot shocks. The shocks are the standard BDS offering and haven't been on the truck that long. These are my current ideas for body roll reduction-

1. Burb has dual shock setup for front, but currently only 1 installed on each side; I presume that if I go back to dual shocks, it will stiffen the ride but also not roll as much.

2. The Burb came without a front swaybar- PO must have taken it off. I plan to go to the junkyard and pick one up along with the mounts and necessary drop brackets while also mounting it with new bushings as well.

What else can I do? I can't even find anything to do for the rear... Especially not a rear swaybar for a lifted truck. I don't need max articulation- this is a DD that hauls toys and campers with little true trail use. Most importantly I need as much stability and control as I can get to handle this 6,200lb beast in hazardous situations. I already have a pretty good idea what would happen right now if I had to make a quick maneuver to get out of someones way on the highway- I would be on my side or top.

Thanks in advance guys...

2. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Sounds like bad shocks. Or maybe you have a broken shock mount? I had one on the rear driver side and it caused similar probs. Definitely put a sway bar on the front though.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Dual shocks don't mean stiffer ride . You use two softer shocks to equal the same shock as a one shock setup . Multiple softer shocks equal less shock fade .

So to go dual shocks again you need to buy two new shocks per side .

4. dale_gribble

Ok, thanks, good input. Shock mounts are all in good shape. I am going to start with the swaybar with new bushings and take it from there. My local 4wd shop says there is a way we can adapt a hellwig rear swaybar to the back of the burb if the front swaybar isn't good enough.

Get to go to the junkyard tomorrow, and the best part is, finding a swaybar is gonna be cake!

5. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

First how much lift, BDS springs are not know for a soft pack. How old are they?? I have 8" BDS on the front with 6" pulse shackle revers on the rear and a 3" body lift with MT/R 40's I pull a 33' Airstream with around 2,000 to 3,000lbs worth of parts in the Burb. I have no swaybars and will have run about 10,000 miles this race season.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First of all put the front sway bar and then you can adapt a rear sway bar, I would definitely recomend both front and rear sway bars for a tow vehicle.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Helwig rear bar with improvised attachments at the frame; ie welded. I had a Helwig on my K10 Burb, before lift, and it spit-out one side. Basically the Helwig rear bar is made for the 2WD (towing) trucks.:D

8. dale_gribble

Suspension isn't more then 2 years old with maybe 5-10 thousand miles.

Hmmmmm... I guess it's just relative to the driver too. Maybe those BDS shocks aren't worth a squat and/or aren't damping at all or are not valved right for the burb. What kind of shocks to you run? Are you a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

The truck feels EXACTLY like if all of the shocks were shot. That is the perfect explanation. Like when you hit a bump or angle in the road and the whole truck takes a second to settle back down. I assume the shocks are ok though, because of the low miles and they look brand spanking new. However, if this is their one size fits all shock, it might be fine on a 5,000lb truck, but too soft for a 6,000lb truck.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Get busy and take them off and push/pull. After I bought my Burb, one of the ones I took off was absolutely flat, I hadn't ever seen a shock so worn-out.:haha:

10. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

I have Rancho RS 5000 shocks and 3/4 ton springs.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most of the kit shocks are garbage right out of the box IMO, and they do wear out pretty quick. I'd look at a good monotube shock like Bilstein first...

I just got some Bilstein 5150's for my K5.

Rene

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree.
    On the other hand I got the Rancho 9000 and with my waggy that had very soft springs and no sway bars, I cranked it up to the maz when driving it on hwy and then down to 2 for off road, it controlled it pretty good from swaying on the highway .
    :D

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I had the same horrible body roll some years back, with new shocks, sway bar intact, etc. Turned out the entire spring pack was broken through but the break was directly under the U-bolt so no one could see it without removing the bolt.

Unusual to be sure, but something to consider if you rule out everything else.

14. dale_gribble

Wow, hope it's not a broken spring pack...

I went to the pick and pull and 4x4 shop yesterday.

Stock front swaybar + brackets + hardware : $22

Skyjacker swaybar drop brackets : $40

Prothane front swaybar kit : $16

I will clean up the swaybar and install it today. WIsh me luck! I will report back.

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Actually, BDS is known for having a soft pack. So is tuff country. Thats why people on here like them the most. I know my BDS springs are soft. Thats also the reason why they flex so well.

Anyways....add a front swaybar. It should add a noticeable difference. I know mine is like you described with the swaybar unhooked (I have disconnects), but fine with it hooked back up.

Also, maybe check the shock bushings. One could be shot. Just an idea.
    -Harrison

16. dale_gribble

Thanks for the help. Between the swaybar and the new Bilsteins, this truck is definitely back in control. I couldn't be happier.