Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gotta Start Somewhere

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snowqueen, Apr 5, 2002.

1. snowqueen

snowqueen Newbie

So, this 71 k5 has been in the fam since it was born. I drove it highschool and was the coolest chick around for it! I have now inherited it for my self and need help from somewhere to beef it up, make sure its dependable on the trails, and to have the time of my life with it. Everything is stock and many things original 71. Though the engine was rebuilt(v8 350) a year ago with 2500 miles on i t now, its been resting on the side of the house waiting to be come out of hibernation. Where do I start? I love that thing and am decent on the trails, but wanna do it the right way. I sure don't mind getting dirty to do whatever I gotta do with it to get into shape.

2. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

Gonna need to see some pics.

Dave

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Do you know if your front has disk or drum breaks? I'm preety sure 71 was the year GM put the first half w/drum and the second half with disk??
    Do you drive it much in 4x4 mode? Might wana swap all the gear oil out? Grease up yer Ujoints, stuff like that.
    Now if you wana talk modifying your current setup the first question to ask yourself is "What do you want to use your 4x4 for?" Or mabie the better question is were do you what to wheel! Hardcore or fire roads?
    .02c

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The first thing I'd do is make it weather-tight. Replace all of the door and top gaskets, the tailgate and liftgate gaskets, etc. After that, I'd get the suspension in good shape (check ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box, drag link ends, etc.).

As Burt4x4 said, change out the fluids.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cheryl,

It's never as "fun" as the hotrodding stuff.....but since it sounds like it's been sitting for a while, you probably should do ALL the basic stuff like changing out the fluids (transmission, differentials, coolant, oil, gas, brake fluid, etc)

Make sure all that stuff is fresh.....then you can start attacking other mundane stuff.....spark plugs, plug wires, air cleaner, blets, hoses, brake pads, ball joints, u-joints, etc.

Once you go through all that....you'll KNOW a lot more about the truck than you probably do now, so you'll be more confident when you decide to start making "improvements". But most importantly, you will be able to "trust" your K5 not to leave you stranded with a blown radiator hose....or a cracked disributor cap.....or any number of "little things" that really become a major problem when you're in the middle of nowhere "wheelin".......

Not the most exciting advice.....but probably a good idea anyway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif We gotta keep those 1st Gen K5's running!!!!! There aren't many of US left!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif