Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov and Non Gov lock axle shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Nov 19, 2001.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Got myself a real problem/question here. I tanked my drivers side axle shaft on my 10 bolt. Yes, I can hear you people already...why not 14 bolt, no money and need quick on road time. Will the axle shafts out of an open carrier work in a Gov-lock carrier? One has a C clip, one has U clip!! ARGH!!!
    Thanks!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Should work fine. That's onlly a difference in the clip. The shaft should be the same. I have never found a difference with the 12 bolts and I have both open and Gov shafts laying around.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Grimmy hit the nail on the head.

There are no differences between the shafts, Gov-Lock or not.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. OFFRDK5

Thanks Grimmy!!!

SK-15

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just make sure you have the correct spline count. They went to a 30 spline on the late 80's trucks.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. OFFRDK5

The axle is out of an 82 and mine is an 83. Don't know if I have to worry about it now...when the little bolt came out to release the shaft, it was rather small. Most of it is still inside. Don't know how to get it out!! I am thinking about saying fark it and getting me a 14ff and ditching mine, but no time, no money, and no air tools within miles!!!
    ARGH!!! Anyone know how to get that bolt out after its been broken off inside!?!?
    Thanks

SK-15

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Here are some ideas from a thread on Chevelles.com

Paul Lower SoCal
    Tech Team
    posted 03-26-2000 05:18 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wanted to pull the axles and the gears. The pinion shaft lock bolt broke off. By looking at a spare bolt for comparsion, I would guess that maybe there is one thread left holding the remainder of the bolt in the pinion shaft. This is a 10 bolt from a 68. No posi-traction. Anyone ever try removing a broken bolt? Is it possible to remove the one bearing cap and use a right angle drill?
    [This message has been edited by Paul Lower SoCal (edited 03-26-2000).]

Tom Lasater
    Tech Team
    posted 03-26-2000 07:33 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've had to do this job more than once and one thing is certain, there is no easy way to do this! I've had good luck using a ***** punch and tapping the broken off piece in the counter clockwise direction. You're probably right about how many threads are really holding that piece in there. Another way is to buy a drill that is several inches long and drill a hole in the broken piece then use an easy out. Good luck!
    ------------------
    69 SS396 69 Malibu Ragtop
    70 Monte 72 El Camino
    Team Chevelle Gold #33
    ACES Member #02913
    Chevelle Club of Michigan
    Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

Peter F.
    Tech Team
    posted 03-26-2000 08:00 PM
    Paul;
    Did you try to get in there with a small screwdriver and turn it out. I had this happen on my truck when one of the axle seals was leaking. I looked at it for about 20 minutes and tried to pull it out with a magnet. Then I realized it was still threaded in, so I played with a screwdriver. It took about 10 minutes to work it out. Try wiggling the spider gear pin while doing this.

Peter

Paul Lower SoCal
    Tech Team
    posted 03-28-2000 06:55 AM
    Problem solved. I used the broken stud, drilled a 1/8" hole through the center of it. Re-installed broken stud head. Used it as drill guide, used a 12" drill bit for flexibility, drilled into broken portion, removed stud, tapped easy out into new hole and turned counter-clockwise out. Piece of cake!
    Thanks for your responses.

Tom Lasater
    Tech Team
    posted 03-28-2000 08:29 PM
    Way cool! Now that you've done it and see how simple it was to fix..I couldn't believe it! This fix should make it to the archives cause as long as there are C clips, there will be broken shaft bolts.
    ------------------
    69 SS396 69 Malibu Ragtop
    70 Monte 72 El Camino
    Team Chevelle Gold #33
    ACES Member #02913
    Chevelle Club of Michigan
    Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

64elcamino
    posted 03-28-2000 09:25 PM
    Good thinking Paul. I did it by sticking a welding rod on the end of the bolt and then had someone else turn on the arc welder for just a couple of seconds. After it cooled a bit I just used the rod to remove the broken piece. Since I don't have an arc welder in my home garage I will remember your method for use there.
    Tom I agree this should make it to the archives.

------------------
    Philip Valentine
    Gold Member #42
    Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness

FIG
    Tech Team
    posted 03-29-2000 10:55 AM
    Just in case that this is archived for later use I want to throw out another solution to this problem. This was a solution given to me by a friend who was a GM mechanic for 25 years. If the retaining bolt snaps simply take a punch and drive the spider gear pin out. Since we always change the retaining pin and bolt when we rebuild our rears this is a simple way to free up things. The small retaining bolt simply shears itself off as you drive the pin out. A new pin and bolt cost under $20 at your local GM parts counter.
    FIG

------------------
    MCC member #256
    http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

DZAUTO
    Tech Team
    posted 03-29-2000 12:51 PM
    Fig,
    Over the years I've seen this about 3 times. The first time was about 30yrs ago. I had wondered at that time if it would be possible to drive out the pin but was too chicken to try it, even though it looked like it may work. So I have done like most others and used a sharp pointed tool to slowly work the remainder of the bolt out.
    Thanks Fig, wish I had know this 30yrs ago.
    ------------------
    Tom Parsons

Blazer1970
    Tech Team
    posted 03-29-2000 12:52 PM
    A shop drove the pin out on my truck 10 bolt once when the retainer bolt broke, and it screwed up the carrier bad enough that it had to be replaced.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some good posts in there! One thing I will say though, is that if you try and drive the pinion shaft through that bolt, you will end up cracking the carrier. Been there, done that, made the wrecking yard pay for having the leftover chunk of that retaining bolt drilled out. (I was trying to save them money, since it was alreday broke, not trying to screw them. BTW, the slightly cracked carrier is still going strong, 5 years later) However, the point is, had I pounded on it even harder, I would have ruined damn near every bearing in that thing, as well as the carrier itself. I know the machine shop said they drilled it out.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I still have the d44/14ff with rear disc!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

10. OFFRDK5

Start talking there Outlaw....I got my ears on and thinking about it!! Start talking numbers!! If you want I will give you back the front end and whats left of the rear for a cheaper price?!?!?

SK-15