Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gov-Loc Issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hey guys & gals. I know the general concensus is that Gov-Locs suck but that is what I happen to have. My husband ran one in the 14 bolt in his old 3/4 ton and it worked just fine. Mine doesn't seem to work at all. Do these things get worn out? Rebuilt? Is there a kit somewhere for doing so? I just want to check out all the options before I decide what to do. Thanks!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Decide to hit the junkyard for an open 14 bolt and slap a Detroit in there.

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

did you put the right type of oil in it it should say limited slip on it

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping my hubby will "borrow" his Detroit to me. I have located an open carrier too. But we will have 2 more open trucks then and to be honest, when the Gov worked on the other truck it was nice for daily driver/weekend warrior duty. We'd like that with at least hubby's Jimmy, since we take that one more often than the other 2 when we go all together. I thought maybe there's some kind of fix-it kit out there or something...

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

whats it in? I have had one in a 10 bolt rear and it didn't want to lock very often but when it did it worked ok. I currently have one in my 14boltFF and it works good, locks up fast and stays locked. People don't usually complain much about the 14boltFF model because they are stronger and work better than the 1/2 versions. The 10bolt gov is what has given them a bad name. It is like the 700R4 thing, some people hate them because of the early models that were basically junk and don't care to notice that the late model ones are very improved. Unlike the 700R4 the gov-lock can't be built up to handle the added stress of our vehicles. MY 2 cents.

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did you put the right type of oil in it it should say limited slip on it

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, I put in the tube of additive when I did the axle swap in July. Good thought, though. There is no reason it should not have hooked up last weekend. I was spinning my way up a hill and only had the one-wheel-wonder thing going. The internals all appeared fine when I did the swap. The Gov had been with 3.73's and I swapped the ring to the 4.10 (don't know if I'm making any sense on that). It all seemed very straightforward and I did inspect things pretty good, or so I thought.

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

It's in a 14FF.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how a lot of people jump to this type of conclusion. Just slap a detroit in it. Then later they find out that detroit is loud as hell and shitty on paved roads which would not be good for a daily driver...and forget towing with one. Not everyone needs a detroit or welded spiders, some of us actually want our ride to retain some functionality over just offroading. Before giving a suggestion that could in essence be the 100% wrong thing for a person to do you may wanna find out just how the vehicle is used that way you can make an educated and useful suggestion.

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

It's ok... to be honest I'd like to try the Detroit. My husband has one in his 1 ton that he is going to be parking for the winter and doing a slow build on. He will drive his Jimmy which will get a 4" lift and 33's for a daily driver/weekend warrior. He preferred the Gov for it's on road characteristics. He might even weld the 1 ton since it's an offroad vehicle or a stand-in in the case that one of the others is down. We'll see.

10. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

put 50 bucks in his pocket send him to the bar with his frends to watch some football and you got your new locker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif good idea!

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've got too much wheelspin, I guess theoretically the thing will stay unlocked.

(remember, these things are "governed" to stay unlocked under a certain speed, and over a certain speed)

14. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how a lot of people jump to this type of conclusion. Just slap a detroit in it. Then later they find out that detroit is loud as hell and shitty on paved roads which would not be good for a daily driver...and forget towing with one. Not everyone needs a detroit or welded spiders, some of us actually want our ride to retain some functionality over just offroading. Before giving a suggestion that could in essence be the 100% wrong thing for a person to do you may wanna find out just how the vehicle is used that way you can make an educated and useful suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touchy aren't we!!! I have run a Detroit in my Dailey driver for years and loved the hell out of it. It was not that loud , drove fine. But that is just me experience. Does that mean it is the best thing, well no. Does that mean it is the worst, weeeeellllll.......no. Just a matter of opinion.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Then later they find out that detroit is loud as hell and shitty on paved roads which would not be good for a daily driver...and forget towing with one. Not everyone needs a detroit or welded spiders, some of us actually want our ride to retain some functionality over just offroading. Before giving a suggestion that could in essence be the 100% wrong thing for a person to do you may wanna find out just how the vehicle is used that way you can make an educated and useful suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Detroits are better offroad than the gov-lock but not as good on the street. I like having just a gov in my DD because it works good for it's intended purpose, street use with extra traction in normal offroad conditions. Not rockcrawling, deep mud bogging, and probably most important big tires pushed by big horsepower /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this is a ligitimate fix, but this is what I did. When I first got my 14 bolt w/ govlock, I filled it with 80w90 and the limited slip additive, and it wouldn't lock up at all. So I drained it out, and now run straight 85W140 gear lube. Locks up all the time now, spin it fast in the mud at pipeline or slow on mccaslin, always kickin from both sides.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[quoteI love how a lot of people jump to this type of conclusion. Just slap a detroit in it. Then later they find out that detroit is loud as hell and shitty on paved roads which would not be good for a daily driver...and forget towing with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever......

My daily driver is a lightweight rig with a manual transmission and a Lock-Right in the rear. I have only had a few situations where it gets stupid. Other than that, it's worked flawlessly.

My trail truck, on the other hand, has a Gov-Loc. It never gets stupid but it doesn't work when you need it either.

Lets see...which one would I prefer in an offroad rig...that's a hard one.....

If it's an option, definitely locker all the way, even for a DD rig.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's an option, definitely locker all the way, even for a DD rig.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats great /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touchy aren't we!!! I have run a Detroit in my Dailey driver for years and loved the hell out of it. It was not that loud , drove fine. But that is just me experience. Does that mean it is the best thing, well no. Does that mean it is the worst, weeeeellllll.......no. Just a matter of opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

No not touchy. I just hate how people give the most extreme answers to what may be a small problem. Like tactically nuking a city because it has rats in the sewers. You solved the rat problem, but caused a worse problem (everyones dead). But if those rats were mutant killer rats that were spreading and threatened global domination then carpet bombing would be an acceptable solution. But you do not know this if the person just says "our city has a rat problem". In any case I wasn't trying to be a dick I was just pointing out that there is not one solution sufficient for every situation and it would be more helpful to find out what the person wants to do with their rig before giving giving advice.

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine doesn't seem to work at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Run it down the highway for an extended trip, in order to get the gear oil up to temp. (houseing should be warm to the touch).
    Take notice of any binding, poping or clunk sound, after taking your first turn after the high-way trip. (indicateing sticking clutch plates)
    Run consecutive "figure eights" in a church or school parking lot, with minimal throttle input. The object is work the gear oil through the diff-case and internals.

Block the front wheels, raise the rear-end and support it with jack-stands. Place the transmission in Neutral.
    Drain the fluid, while inspecting for any excsesive metal contamination.
    Remove the bum cover and inspect.
    Rotate the case until the internals can be seen.
    Completly clean the case and internals with a "brake-parts-cleaner". Insure any varnish build up is removed from the actuator, fly-weights (center bar thingy) and clutch pack (located on the right).
    Check the fly-weights for freedom of movement, you should be able to move them with your finger.
    Continue cleaning, as you rotate a axle shaft with enough speed to extend the fly-weights and activate the locker.
    (It may be necessary to remove the wheels/drums inorder to rotate the axle shafts with enough speed to activate the "locker" portion of the case.)
    You should notice, the locker will progressivly enage quicker and with less effort, as the varnish is removed the internal components.
    Reassemble and fill the diff.
    DO NOT use any suplemental "friction modifiers" or "Limited Slip addatives" - straight gear oil is all that is needed.

Pictured here on-end (the top in the photo is the pasanger side)
    The clutch pack can be seen located towerds the top (The gov lock is a Limited-slip/Locker NOT A open/Locker)
    Fly weights are on the right-of center, and the actuator is to the right of that.
    11.5", 9.5", and 8.5" cases are open-air, like whats pictured.
    10.5" (14FF) are enclosed, makeing a simple cleaning - a bit more difficult.